PDA

View Full Version : what do you do with kids feet when evacuating??

Donkey
23-01-2009, 11:43 AM
obvisouly if there is a fire we will not have time to put their shoes on. in a nursery they have their shoes on if they are over 2. because I have a baby they all have their shoes off.

so in the even of a fire, do you get them all out in just their socks, thus getting wet feet, or do you wait in the hopes that you dont get overcome by smoke and put their shoes on

(in the event of a real fire, i would just throw em straight out the door, no matter what they were in, but arent we meant to do the same if its a practice??)

also coats!!! :panic:

ajs
23-01-2009, 11:46 AM
good question

i have a basket of their wellies by the front door so i suppose i coulod grab the wellies too on our way out

note to self do another fire practice very soon

FizzysFriends
23-01-2009, 11:53 AM
Don't stop to put on shoes/coats or anything else, treat it like there is a fire so its realistic for the children. You could get the kids wearing slippers in the house?

Just pre-warn parents to bring spare socks before you do a test.

deeb66
23-01-2009, 12:09 PM
All my kids shoes are right by front door so grab on way out.

Don't know if I would bother in a real situation!

patevans
23-01-2009, 12:39 PM
We go out bare footed and all the parents are aware of this.

Mollymop
23-01-2009, 12:42 PM
I think it would depend at the time of the fire. If you can escape out of the door near to where the shoes are you could just grab them as you all go past - and then put them on outside.
If not, I guess if you had to get out really quick you would have no choice but to have wet soggy sockies!

Donkey
23-01-2009, 01:05 PM
Think I will text them all thursday night to get them to bring some spare socks!!!

I'm against hard bottomed slippers as I can pretty much guarantee it would be my little girls fingers that get trodden on!!!

I wonder if there is some kind of thing that hangs near the front door with pockets on that I could put all the shoes in and then have this on hooks and take with us if we are evacuating out of the front door...
maybe not hooks but them plastic things use to hang towels off...
superglued so they dont come off...

sorry thinking aloud!

think ill sketch a design and ask GIL to make (grandma in law)

:thumbsup:

sarah707
23-01-2009, 02:54 PM
You might have to go out different doors so you need to be careful about assuming shoes would be there.

I actually had this problem a while ago - I have a child who has a phobia about getting his feet wet.

We were doing a fire practice and he threw a total wobbler - I could not physically control him, he was hurting me and holding onto the door frame and screaming it was awful he was so traumatised bless him.

Spoke to parents and they now send him with slippers. Last practice I did in the rain he went outside, reluctantly, but he went. :D

marion123
24-01-2009, 07:10 PM
when i did my first fire practice we went out in our socks what a nightmare mindee who was 2 was screaming as her socks were going to get wet it wasnt even raining :laughing: so now all my mindees wear slippers

busylizzie
24-01-2009, 08:58 PM
We all go out barefooted.My LOs think its great.We dont tend to wear socks as the wooden floor is a bit slippery and the house is always warm.I try and make it as real and quick as poss.
However, if I had a child who was upset or concerned about wet/cold feet (as opposed to the ones I look after now who think its great to be outside with no shoes!) I would keep something handy by the door.

mum22
25-01-2009, 09:24 AM
Barefoot or if snow/wet grab wellies by front door

patevans
25-01-2009, 09:49 AM
You might have to go out different doors so you need to be careful about assuming shoes would be there.

I actually had this problem a while ago - I have a child who has a phobia about getting his feet wet.

We were doing a fire practice and he threw a total wobbler - I could not physically control him, he was hurting me and holding onto the door frame and screaming it was awful he was so traumatised bless him.

Spoke to parents and they now send him with slippers. Last practice I did in the rain he went outside, reluctantly, but he went. :D

I keep our shoes by the back door and we evacuate from both front and back so thats y we just go out barefooted!!

miffy
25-01-2009, 10:28 AM
We go out bare footed - like you would if it was a real fire

My mindees love it but could see it would be a nightmare if you had a child, like Sarah's, who didn't like getting their feet wet

Miffy xx

huggableshelly
05-02-2009, 07:12 PM
barefooted the children have to know not to stop and get anything though on the last one I did it was pouring down so i grabbed the doormat as we left so they had something to stand on but didnt prevent wet feet.

poor kiddies were in the middle of a dressing up session too, i ended up having to do extra washing as cloaks and dresses got trailed along but still we did it and all got out safe, thats all that matters.

oh and I always make sure i have bare feet too so the children can see I didnt stop for shoes ... my eldest mindee has wised up and clocked on to me preparing to sound hte alarm ... I cant reach the tester button so I have to hit it with a broom LOL

FizzysFriends
05-02-2009, 07:48 PM
How often is good practice to do an evacuation?

don the duck
05-02-2009, 07:56 PM
Thats a good question. We ve done a practise one and my son has slippers on and had baby to carry. we have to walk a little to our safe place.

Surely isnt it swings and roundabouts. going out bare foot/ no shoes for health and safety.

i have a fire bag one on the frout and back entrance. contains some jumpers, socks - sandles and flip flops for myself - and a jumper. also has contact details in them.

has anyone actully asked ofsted.;

Chatterbox Childcare
05-02-2009, 09:23 PM
I would say leave them attached to their legs and get out quick!!!!!

peanuts
06-02-2009, 08:13 AM
practise like it was the real thing, all our shoes are in a box at the front door, so they would be able to quickly pick them out on the way out the door. my older kids just run out in theri socks to the designated safe area.
karen

sarah707
06-02-2009, 08:20 AM
practise like it was the real thing, all our shoes are in a box at the front door, so they would be able to quickly pick them out on the way out the door. my older kids just run out in theri socks to the designated safe area.
karen

...and if the fire was by the front door... in your hallway??? What if someone put a firework through your letterbox?? :eek:

We try and practice through each exit... front, side and conservatory to give children a feel of the 'real thing'... they could be anywhere in the house playing when the alarm goes off iyswim.

It was using the conservatory door when the huge massive tantrum that I talked about ages of posts ago happened and we needed to come up with a solution... ie wearing slippers at all times especially on rainy days.

HelenJC
06-02-2009, 08:23 PM
Hi

Still on fire drills but on a notice in my son's high school.

It was the fire drill procedure and number 1 was "close all windows", 2 was leave the building.

I was amazed.

Told my son not to take any notice in the event of a fire he should just get out. School could give me detention if they wished - along with 7 babies, toddlers and after schoolers!

Helen

Ripeberry
06-02-2009, 11:14 PM
At our pre-school committee meeting this week, several of the parents (commitee members) complained that when they did a fire drill some of the children went outside in the rain in just their socks.
I tried to explain that in a real fire you can't stop to put on your shoes, but they were having none of that.
But our pre-school playleader thinks the children should take off their shoes in the pre-school anyway.
Suppose the only solution is for the kids to wear slippers or their shoes at all times.
Problem is my daughter hates having anything on her feet and likes to be barefoot all the time :eek:

Donkey
10-02-2009, 08:58 PM
Think I will take them out in their socks and put a note in this months newsletter about children having a spare pair of socks here