PDA

View Full Version : little bruse on cheek

tara
23-01-2009, 11:03 AM
My mindee turned up this morning with a little bruise on his cheek mum told me how it happened.She said she has put it in his book but lve look in his bag and she must have forgotten to put it in his bag.So how to l document this ive looked in the accident book and it says to document it when it happens in your care.But l like to play it safe what should l do ?

deeb66
23-01-2009, 11:07 AM
Yes this does have to be logged.

You log it as an 'Existing Injury'.

It doesn't have to be a standard form you can make one yourself which just has the childs details like name and date birth.

Fill out what the injury is and leave a space for the parent to complete about how it happened.

Have it ready for when they collect the child and remember to get them to sign and date it.

I supply all my parents with a stock of these forms so that they are already completed when they bring the child and I then make my additional comments etc afterwards.

HTH

tara
23-01-2009, 01:02 PM
Yes this does have to be logged.

You log it as an 'Existing Injury'.

It doesn't have to be a standard form you can make one yourself which just has the childs details like name and date birth.

Fill out what the injury is and leave a space for the parent to complete about how it happened.

Have it ready for when they collect the child and remember to get them to sign and date it.

I supply all my parents with a stock of these forms so that they are already completed when they bring the child and I then make my additional comments etc afterwards.

HTH
Thankyou ive made up my own form for her to sign :clapping:

rickysmiths
23-01-2009, 01:20 PM
If you use the NCMA Accident and Medication book or folder there is a section to record Existing Injuries the parent and you both sign and the parent gets the copy. It is vital you record any lumps and bumps that mindees arrive with, most will be fine but one day you may find a pattern building that needs more investigation.

Donkey
23-01-2009, 01:47 PM
I have a mindee who is constantly falling over/tripping and there tends to be little bumps and scraps all over the poor mite. I am talking little bruises in the obvious places. should I be documenting these as an existing injury, the mindee is 3

rickysmiths
23-01-2009, 02:08 PM
Yes definately. I know it is laborious but it could indicate more serious problems (not just child abuse) as much as if could just be a healthy 3yr old growing up and enjoying the world. Some health issues for instance can be revealed by a tendency to be clumsy, or if a child the falls over a lot. Sorry!

Also in my experience Ofsted always expect to see entries in this section of your accident book partly because it is entirely normal for children to have bumps and bruises.

Donkey
23-01-2009, 02:26 PM
were already aware that the mindee in question has a multitude of issues and I am getting permission to speak with the support team involved.

surely were not meant to document every single little thing???

I dont think my loft will cope with the paperwork!!