PDA

View Full Version : Childcare expensive...

mum2two
29-01-2008, 09:10 AM
Heard on the radio this morning, that 'It may not come as a surprise to most mums and dads, but the cost of Childcare in England is the most expensive in Europe'. Then went on about something else...

I only charge £3.50 per hour - any less, and it wouldn't really be worth my while doing it!

Do people just want us to look after their kids for free, so they can go back to work & earn £60k between them...!!!! :angry:

Kelly x

oakie dokie
29-01-2008, 09:15 AM
i charge £3 and i thinking of putting it up if we have to do all that writing for eyfs.

hazelx

charleyfarley
29-01-2008, 09:23 AM
Would the parents work for our hourly rate? I think not!!!!

I know they have to pay childcare costs out of their wages but most do get help

As said they want the care but want to pay a pittance for it

Carol xx

berkschick
29-01-2008, 09:29 AM
I read this somewhere once, cant remember where now......

" Good childcare is not expensive, it is invaluable"

So true!

sarah707
29-01-2008, 09:31 AM

So true!

That's a good one Debbie! :D

charleyfarley
29-01-2008, 09:40 AM

So true!

It must have been someone on here who said it

Can't see many parents saying it though

Carol xx

Kelly
29-01-2008, 09:44 AM
I saw a similar interview on TV this morning but they were referring to nursery costs. I recently told my parents that I was putting my fees up from £3 to £3.50ph one dad was a little apprehensive, however he is a smoker, so I pointed out that my daily increase is less than a packet of cigarettes a day. It did make him think twice about moaning I think, he said "well if you put it like that, I suppose your right" I did respond that I was!! (all very light hearted, but I was being serious!) if he was that concerned he couldn't afford my fees, he should give up smoking!!!!!!!

Banana
29-01-2008, 10:28 AM
Yeah I saw this,

the news report is something like

'shock horror - some parents paying up to £39,000 a year in childcare costs.....'

WHo are these parents? How many kids must they have in childcare at the one time?

A full timer at say £150 a week is only £7, 800 per year.plus maybe another one, so looking at £15,000 for 2 under 5's Maybe an after schooler too. Say about £5,000 a year? thats £20,000 - which sounds a lot anyway. But £39.000 a year??

They are only having to pay these costs if they have loads of children that need looking after. If they cant afford it then dont have so many children. It was saying that childcare in the south east and london are the highest costs - these parents are likely paid moire becuase of the are a they are in also.

Its yet another report that could potentially make people think negatively about childminders, that we are over-priced

x

berkschick
29-01-2008, 10:41 AM
I am in the South East.

Minders round here range from £3.50 - £4.50 per hour, I charge £3.50 plus extra for meals. I know in London childminders are anything from £7 an hour.

The local nursery is £52 a day :panic: so thats £13,500 a year but to have childcare costs of £39,000 a year you would need to have 3 in full time nursery. Bit of an unfair reflection put across I think!

G who starts with me soon has 2 brothers. They are spaced out by 6 years between them as the parents couldnt afford childcare for more than one at a time.

Pipsqueak
29-01-2008, 10:46 AM

So true!

Oh thats a lovely quote - thats going on the front of my brochure, policies..... (anywhere I can think of)

Thank you

Pipsqueak
29-01-2008, 10:47 AM
As for the actual thread - childcare probably is fairly expensive for some people but many (can) get the tax credits/voucher system Makes you wonder just how much of that is spent on actual childcare?

Schnakes
29-01-2008, 11:12 AM
I really feel that childminders are under attack at the moment. I saw a headline in the Daily Mail the other day attacking us, and then theres Gordon Brown saying mums should stay at home for the first year (stupid stupid idea...nice for the babies out there of course, but not for business - ours or anyones elses!!). When I went on the Mail website to find the text to post on here (couldnt find it, incidentally, and I certainly wasnt going to buy that dispicable rag!) there is story after story of the horror that is your local childminder (apparently!).

With the EYFS and raised registration fees...I dont know...I kind of feel like we are being pushed out of the nest. :( I get sick of parents asking for discounts and asking me to justify my fees too, and made to feel like a greedy cow when I ask for my own hard earned money. Like they dont get paid to work for a living?!? :panic: Arrgh! Glad i got that off my chest! :littleangel:

And breathe!!!

Sx

Pipsqueak
29-01-2008, 11:15 AM
Well said, I too feel that we are slowly been squeezed out of the market in one way or another and the NCMA do little to back us up.

Trouble
29-01-2008, 01:14 PM
maybe i can retire earlier now, i only charge 3.ph i did see something in the daily mail once which i kept i will see if hubby will put the thread on tonight as im not very good will try thou

Cheeky Chops
29-01-2008, 07:22 PM
I think that this is maybe true (childcare being expensive) in nurseries, but I cant really see it being true for childminders as most of us work for next to nothing, and unless we have all places full then we rarely make millions!!! At the moment I am charging a lady £80 a week for two children, I have them every afternoon, so im working for like £1.50 or something an hour which is mad!! I will be putting them up in april!! hehe, sometimes when you quote a price you are not sure if it is fair and I didnt really think about this one! oops!

xxx

devoncm
03-02-2008, 06:47 PM
as ive just really started i dont really know much about what i should charge. i looked around at what other people charged in my area and was anything between £3 and £7 an hour, so as i havent been doing long and people do not no me as a childminder as i have no reputation yet i have set my hourly fee at just £2.50 ph with additional £1 for evening meals, my first enquiry came just last week and the little boy of 9 starts next week, the parents thought this very cheap so has now got me wondering if i have priced too low, i do plan to up my prices in april-how much by i dont know yet. i thought this price was ok to start with although im not making that much money at the moment but i thought id build up gradually

Marie

crazybones
03-02-2008, 06:51 PM
as ive just really started i dont really know much about what i should charge. i looked around at what other people charged in my area and was anything between £3 and £7 an hour, so as i havent been doing long and people do not no me as a childminder as i have no reputation yet i have set my hourly fee at just £2.50 ph with additional £1 for evening meals, my first enquiry came just last week and the little boy of 9 starts next week, the parents thought this very cheap so has now got me wondering if i have priced too low, i do plan to up my prices in april-how much by i dont know yet. i thought this price was ok to start with although im not making that much money at the moment but i thought id build up gradually

Marie

The NCMA website had a table of average charges by area if this helps. I cant give you a link because I am rubbish at stuff like that sorry. I am sure someone else on here can do it in the click of a button.

Annie x:o

LittleMissSparkles
03-02-2008, 06:51 PM

Marie

£2.50 per hour is very cheap and not usual to find i dont think xxx

flora
03-02-2008, 07:43 PM
I only charge £2.75 basic an hour,admittedly I charge extra for meals, travel etc etc. But apart from a couple of doctors who enquired most people don't seem to earn that much round me!! :(

deeb66
03-02-2008, 10:54 PM

So true!

Thanks Debbie

I too have pinched this saying as i think it is really good!

The problem I find is that a parent wants good quality childcare where the child will be loved and stimulated but they are not willing to pay for it!

What ever happened to their little bundle being the most precious thing in their life:rolleyes:

Tily Bud
03-02-2008, 11:00 PM
The problem I find is that a parent wants good quality childcare where the child will be loved and stimulated but they are not willing to pay for it!

What ever happened to their little bundle being the most precious thing in their life:rolleyes:[/quote]

Here Here !!

buildingblocks
06-02-2008, 06:55 PM

You would be surprised Susan there are certainly a couple of minders in SCunthorpe charging aroun £2.50 an hour.

i have decided that I am going to charge £3.50 an hour from now on for new parents (can't do it to existing parent no matter how much I would like to as a big jump from £3 to £3.50).

I had a prospective parent around today who was told by CIS that prices in our are can go as high as £6.50 parent was told this was a minder in one of the villages where there are only a couple of minders and this particular one was well sought after. Then the CIS informed this parent that as she had three children 7mth, 8 and 10 that she would possibly struggle to find someone with spaces for all three so she would probably find spaces for the two older ones and they would help her find a nursery space for the baby!!!!1

tulip0803
06-02-2008, 07:02 PM

It has only just gone over this around here and there is great demand as there are no after-school or nurseries, rural Wales. Problem is wages here are so low and many parents are re-training at Uni's and are unable to get help with childcare.

Noodles
23-02-2008, 05:54 PM
It has only just gone over this around here and there is great demand as there are no after-school or nurseries, rural Wales. Problem is wages here are so low and many parents are re-training at Uni's and are unable to get help with childcare.

surely though if the wages are that low the parents will be getting help with their childcare costs

miffy
23-02-2008, 08:33 PM

So true!

Oh yes I love that quote Debbie I'm pinching it too

Miffy xx

lindylou
23-02-2008, 08:40 PM
Hi i charge 27 pounds per day and include all meals sometimes even a breakfast the charges on the wirral range from 25 th 30 so i am about average
Linxx

tulip0803
24-02-2008, 01:33 AM
surely though if the wages are that low the parents will be getting help with their childcare costs
Unfortunately lots can't get tax credit help as they are classed as in training. You can only get help if you working (both if a couple) over 16 hours a week or if the college has a fund. My friend minds children for 2 trainee nurses and as they are not "earning" they are working on training they are not entitled. Another friend looked into going to college to get an NVQ3 and they would not help with childcare as the course was not full-time and neither would tax credits as she wasn't working, so she couldn't go:( .

Juliaxx

miss muffit
24-02-2008, 08:26 AM
Hi....We charge £3.00 - £3.50 per hour in my area and £3.50 -£4.00 for b4 and after school kiddies care k:) :) :)

Noodles
24-02-2008, 10:23 PM
Unfortunately lots can't get tax credit help as they are classed as in training. You can only get help if you working (both if a couple) over 16 hours a week or if the college has a fund. My friend minds children for 2 trainee nurses and as they are not "earning" they are working on training they are not entitled. Another friend looked into going to college to get an NVQ3 and they would not help with childcare as the course was not full-time and neither would tax credits as she wasn't working, so she couldn't go:( .

Juliaxx

I looked after a trainee nurses child and the university paid nearly all of her childcare plus they get a bursary and even more if they are single parents.

samgeordie
28-02-2008, 08:30 PM
Im currently going through the registration process but currently work part time 20hrs a week and my 3 year old daughter goes to a childminder down the road (who is being so helpful and supportive through my application process).

Most normal working parents do not get any help towards childcare costs and all the govt talk of getting help with tax credits/working tax credits only applies if you are doing very low paid work eg minimum wage. We get £42 a month tax credit when we pay £350 a month to the childminder and jointly earn less than £30k a year.

Bascially half my salary pays for the childcare but i need the rest for us to survive, hence one of the reasons why im becoming a childminder. A lot of my friends are in the same position as me. However my current childminder is fantastic and its so important that you know your child is happy and safe while working.