PDA

View Full Version : Notice Period for changes in a contract

Schnakes
29-01-2008, 08:50 AM
Hello everyone,

I know Ive asked a similar question on here, but I cant find it under my profile for some reason!!

Anyway- I''ll ask again cos it'll give me the chance to have a little moan. Parents want to make an ammendment to their contract - what notice do they have to give?

Moan: why do parents have to continually complicate my life??? Its 8:43 in the morning and Im sick of this job today already. :(

Sx

berkschick
29-01-2008, 09:31 AM
I have 4 weeks written into my contracts for change of hours and terms.

I guess if it suited me then I would do it quicker! Lol

Sorry you are having a tough day already, I hope it gets better for you.

Kelly
29-01-2008, 09:33 AM
What kind of amendments do your parents want to make? if they want to do less hours I would personally make them give you a months notice. As they are decreasing your wage they should give you whatever notice is in your contract. If they wish it to take effect immediately you just charge full rate for the month.

Basically if it effects your money make them give you a months notice, if it benefits you put the changes in place straight away!!

sarah707
29-01-2008, 09:33 AM
I say 2 weeks notice for the majority of stuff... but tbh if they are going to drop hours or tell me they're off to Florida next week, there's not a lot I can do about it really! :D

Schnakes
29-01-2008, 11:18 AM
Yeah - reducing hours (again!!!). I thought it was four weeks. I'll tell them that tonight. Cheeky so-and-sos gave ME what THEY thought their invoice should be for Feb. :veryangry:

Day is not getting any better at all. :( Hope everyone else is having a better day than me! :)

Sx

susi513
29-01-2008, 01:11 PM
The way I see it is that they are technically cancelling the existing contract and so a new contract is required. So whatever notice period your contract states for terminating the contract is the same notice period required to make changes such as changing the hours of childcare or raising your fees. (Mine are 4 weeks).

But if you wanted to, there's nothing to stop you starting a new contract from tomorrow. So I'm with Kelly, if its more hours & I can do it then I start the new contract straight away. If its reduced hours then I would issue a new contract to start in 4 weeks time. The parent is then required to continue paying current fees for the 4 weeks. But they still have the choice whether to start reducing the hours of attendance now or in 4 weeks time, its just there's no reduction in fee for doing so until the new contract starts.

If you haven't already, its a good idea to set a minimum daily (or weekly) fee.

To compensate, you could also take the opportunity to renegotiate your fees. After all the fee you quoted when they started would have been based on the hours they asked for then, which is no longer relevant.

I have raised my hourly rate but kept my daily rate the same as the last 2 years, which has encouraged parents to book full days. Previously I've had a tiered charging system -highest rate for less than 20 hours per week and a slightly cheaper rate for 20 hours or more and the cheapest rate for 40 hours or more. Which made me feel a bit better about accepting the odds & ends type p/t arrangements.