PDA

View Full Version : friggin cheek

samgeordie
22-01-2009, 02:20 PM
checked my e-mail this morning and there was an e-mail sent yesterday from youngest mindees mum saying that her husband would collect mindee today an hour earlier, however could she drop her off an hour earlier. Ummm no way, its your decision to collect early from your contracted hours, and my dd also is back at pre-school 1.30-2.30 due to a puppet show so i would'nt be in anyway. I replied back saying i couldn't take her an hour early today and would see her at the usual time, she phoned twice also but i ignored the phone;) .

She dropped off her and it seems her husband is collecting child early as he is taking mindee to grandmas so he can go to the football - and they wanted me to work an earlier because of that!!:angry: . Some parents just think we are a drop in centre and we can juggle our lives round them:mad: .

Not having a good day which probably doesn't help, just got a jury summons which i need to get excused from - how on earth can a childminder attend jury service - its impossible:rolleyes:

venus89
22-01-2009, 02:22 PM
Well done for standing up to her, it's not always that easy. just remember it's nearly the weekend :laughing:

Trouble
22-01-2009, 02:22 PM
cheeky woman

there must be a way to get out of jury duty, but im not sure:idea:

singlewiththree
22-01-2009, 02:27 PM
My mum got out of it by putting a case forward that as a childminder she was the sole provider of care for all these children and explained that the parents were working full time, no other childcare etc. She has never had to do it. My now ex husband got out of it because he was self employed and ran a garage he said he was needed to collect our daughter from nursery (ahem I did it) and told loads of other lies I should have realised then what kind of man he really was.

avril
22-01-2009, 02:28 PM
What a cheek some people think you are there for their beck and call!:mad:

I would love to do jury duty but yes it would cause a lot of upheaval for the parents and sorry I cannot think of an excuse for you to get out of it :(

Jules12Wed
22-01-2009, 02:33 PM
Yeah what a cheek. Good on you for standing up.

I done jury service and loved every minute of it but done it before I was minding so don't know what would happen if I got called again, i'd love to do iit again as it was really interesting but wouldn't want to lose all my minding money and let parents down.

marian
22-01-2009, 02:34 PM
My friend was called up for jury service and was told she couldn't get out of it but could 'defer 'it.
that was over 5 years ago and she hasn't been called up since

Marian x

LisaMarie
22-01-2009, 02:53 PM
people with IBS also get excused from jury duty ;)

well done for standing your ground though hun

sue m
22-01-2009, 03:28 PM
Ooh, that's interesting cos i have that and always been terrified of getting 'called up'. My dil got out of it a couple of years back cos my gd was going through lots of hospital tests - and still is - but they said she will be called again.

Honestly, wanting you to have the child an hour earlier so he can go to football. What a damn cheek! They do think we are there purely for them and should do whatever hours or times they want. Good for you standing your ground.

yummymummy
22-01-2009, 03:32 PM
I did my jury service as was local to me and was afraid that I'd be called to central London next time (had already been called once before and got out of it) wished I hadn't, total waste of time, all the parents moaned re time off and I just sat around all day in the court for two weeks and never got a called for a case.
But you can easily be excused due to childcare issues as they only pay a maximum of £55 a day in lost expenses and wages (probably not much more than this now but this was 5 yrs ago) so if childcare costs and wages are more than this you cannot be expected to not afford to pay your bills. Also in your letter to the court explain your job and the inconvenience and difficulty parents would have arranging replacement childcare and that they may well seek other permanent childcare so you would in effect lose your job. I know several stay at home mums excused due to childcare issues. Good luck with it all!

Mollymop
22-01-2009, 04:29 PM
I agree it is very cheeky, I think some people think that we are here for them no matter what.
I have a parent who uses me 3 days a week and sometimes I do an extra day here and there when she needs me and it is no problem, but the other day she said she wasn't sure if she needs me for an extra day next week, "shall I let you know or just drop him off" she said!??!!
So yep, I am sure some parents think we are here all day long waiting for them to drop their kids in when they feel!

Pudding Girl
22-01-2009, 05:44 PM
Good luck with getting your Jury duty deferred - seems really hit and miss as some courts just say you have to no matter what, it's only a job - not taking into account that it cocks up say 6 other peoples jobs too! :panic: :mad:

And yes how cheeky! Totally their choice to finish early, they cannot expect you to start an hour early ffs!

jibberjitz
22-01-2009, 06:54 PM
Some people have such a nerve!!!! Good for you for saying no too!!!

Liz

angeldelight
22-01-2009, 10:58 PM
Glad you got it sorted

Let us know if you get out of jury service

Angel xx

PixiePetal
22-01-2009, 11:35 PM
Not having a good day which probably doesn't help, just got a jury summons which i need to get excused from - how on earth can a childminder attend jury service - its impossible:rolleyes:

I was excused Jury Service last September. I wrote that as I had 4 families with children under 4(two under 2) who I care for it would not be appropriate or reasonable for them all to try and find alternative registered care for short notice and an unknown amount of time. Wouldn't have minded as it was local but one of the children especially was just settling in and it would have upset everything.

It was £30.64 for up to 4 hours for first 10 days, more than 4 hours £61.28/day for first 10 days.

DH has his defered one summer(he is a farmer on the family farm and it was during harvest time). He got it the following Jan when it was quiet on the farm, biggest waste of time ever. He thought he would fall asleep :laughing:

mandy moo
23-01-2009, 07:38 AM
I did jury service 25 years ago and have never been called up again.
I was just 18 at the time, didnt drive and had to get to St Albans from our village, 2 bus journeys and 15ish miles away! that in its self was a nightmare.
I sat in on 2 cases, one was a toddler who had been abused by step dad, the other someone was bottled in a pub car park, I was sick 2 days in to this one, so they had to stop proceedings and call a new jury.
Didnt enjoy it at all, they showed photos of the child and its injuries and the prosecutor went in to graffic detail too. the same with the guy who was bottled.
No Ididnt enjoyy it, back then I was not as straight talking as I am now it frightened the life out of me.
At the end, I also found out, that the man they called the 'Fox' was in the court next door. Thank goodness I didnt get that one!

miffy
23-01-2009, 07:45 AM
When I got called for jury service I just phoned and said I was a childminder - the lady said "Oh no you can't possibly do it" and that was that.

Methinks she probably used a childminder herself :rolleyes: :D

Miffy xx

samgeordie
23-01-2009, 09:36 AM
ive written a letter stating how im a childminder, can't arrange childcare at such short notice for my daughter (never mind pay for it upfront), cant let 3 set of parents find alternative childcare at such short notice and how i have great concern for the children if they are taken out of their normal routine. Also mentioned that i have only recently started minding that i can not afford to loose money, also be seen as unreliable and loose new contracts etc.

Will send it special delivery post today so please keep your fingers crossed, otherwise i will have to take my daughter with me cos i have no family where i live either. Hopefully they will be kind to me as im really stressed out about this.

angeldelight
23-01-2009, 09:37 AM
ive written a letter stating how im a childminder, can't arrange childcare at such short notice for my daughter (never mind pay for it upfront), cant let 3 set of parents find alternative childcare at such short notice and how i have great concern for the children if they are taken out of their normal routine. Also mentioned that i have only recently started minding that i can not afford to loose money, also be seen as unreliable and loose new contracts etc.

Will send it special delivery post today so please keep your fingers crossed, otherwise i will have to take my daughter with me cos i have no family where i live either. Hopefully they will be kind to me as im really stressed out about this.

Fingers crossed for you

Keep us posted

Angel xx

Lottie
23-01-2009, 09:41 AM

I think you will be fine, especially as you have no-one to look after your daughter. I doubt the courts would want a child hanging around.