PDA

View Full Version : Daily Diary - Page Template

Happy Feet
22-01-2009, 10:25 AM
Hi,

Just a quick question about the daily diary we have to do for the little ones....

How is your daily page set out?

I was thinking of doing something as a word document with the info set out in a template but don't know where to start!!

Any advice would be a huge help!

xx

DudleyChildmind
22-01-2009, 10:34 AM
I bought the Parent/Childminder Contact Book from Bromley and they are excellent. :thumbsup:

http://www.bromleycma.org.uk/payments/

donnahay0
22-01-2009, 01:05 PM
I do a daily diary and print it out each day. Includes any observations and next steps/plans as well.

I also have a box to tick if there is a photo / artwork to add (usually at a later date - this makes it easier for me to link stuff later).

Links to EYFS areas of learning.

Don't forget notes/reminders for parents.

I print off or e-mail a copy for parents every day and leave space for their comments.

Shar
22-01-2009, 01:12 PM
I also use the Bromley Childminding Association Childminder/parent contact book, and my inspector loved it!! :thumbsup:

Happy Feet
22-01-2009, 06:57 PM
Thanks so much for your replies....I guess it'll take time for me to get my head around all of this, but i'm getting there!!!!! xx

2kidsunder5
20-01-2010, 02:51 PM
Hi
Can you please tell me more about the book from Bromley? Is it like a daily diary where you can put sleeps and nappy changes, food and activities etc ?
Thanks
Diane

Shar
22-01-2010, 04:04 PM
Yes, sleep times, feeding info, nappy change times, activities and parent info with space for feedback. You can do all this in a small notebook instead or buy the BCMA books.

Heaven Scent
22-01-2010, 05:01 PM
We don't need to do one its not a requirement of the EYFS so please don't stress or spend too much time on it at the expense of all the things you have got to do - get used to doing the other things then add it on as it were - its just one method you can use to show you are working in partnership with parents - other methods could be - texting notes daily or stating in your SEF that you spend X amount of time daily, weekly or monthly with parents on a 1-1 basis giving them info on their children.

Remember we are all individuals and if we are to celebrate diversity in the children and their families then our diversity should be celebrated also if not that is a form of discrimination too. Its also important that no minder who has difficulties with literacy should be made feel inadequate as a result of this - so I say find the way that suits you best to communicate with parents even if it means that you record voice messages for parents - document it in your policies and proceedures - and on your sef and you will be meeting the requirements of EYFS.

Hope this helps.

fridaysoff
29-01-2010, 02:45 PM
Hi,
I do the same as donahay0 and have it all on word. My drawbacks are 3-5 children attending each day and time taken to complete them, plus ink consumption or if my printer or pc decides to go doolally. I incorporate pics on doc as this is quicker on the day, otherwise I don't find the time to come back, print them and trim them. I have found that if I have a lot of diaries to do trimming takes forever, uses glue as well and sometimes children pull the corners up and pictures off when diary goes home.

Under the activities bit I write the planned or spontaneous relelvant bit and link to EYFS, put pic or write in obs and link EYFS, then write in next steps, add line for requesting comments from parents on back of sheet.

This is a lot to do in a day and relies on time when people sleep which is not always a guarantee. I want to change my system but now parents don't want to give up the diary, so choose wisely! - bet that doesn't help at all does it!:o

It's a small world
29-01-2010, 04:09 PM
Hi mine have several boxes around the edge with headings:
breakfast
lunch
dinner
snacks am & pm
drinks
sleeps
nappy or toilet
childminder comments
parent comments
and a section saying 'what I did today' in the center .

I put a picture of the childs favourite character ie: fireman sam, lazytown, Thomas the tank engine,timmy time etc the children and parents love them . I have them binder in a folder too. Hope that helps x

funfunfun
29-01-2010, 04:17 PM
do you have a seperate book for each child

It's a small world
29-01-2010, 05:03 PM
do you have a seperate book for each child

yes (confidentiality) and so parents can take them home to show other parent and write comments if need be..

funfunfun
29-01-2010, 05:36 PM
I bought one to have a look at so i no what kind of things to put in my own :):)

thankyou

beccas
29-01-2010, 06:42 PM
i use a single 1/4 page every day for mine its all set out just fill in bits. if i have to tell them anything that cant fit on i write it on back used to do books but i never used to get them back and it was costing me a fortune,

funfunfun
31-01-2010, 01:41 PM
do you keep a copy for yourself ? or is it just to show your working with parents and telling them the childs day.

CHUNKY MONKEY
03-05-2010, 08:41 PM
The Bromley website is fab for your paperwork needed. You don't need to keep a copy of the diary. :) CM

Monkey26
04-05-2010, 05:37 PM
I buy ruled notebooks from the post office for 99p each!
Then i print about a bit of blurb about working with parents and explaining the point of having a communication book, i stick it on the front page and get parents to sign it.
I write a small amount each day covering meals, nappies, activities etc. Doing it this way means i am not contricted by boxes etc as some days i have lots to write others just one or two lines!
Everything is, where possible, upheld by verbal communication and then of course all the parents can access their child's Learning Journal if they want more detailed observations etc.
HTH x

moljak
09-05-2010, 08:47 PM
As a newbie i bought the ncma one as guidance.I use it with my only mindee and mum loves it.She writes loads in it over the weekend and it's a joy to share.Its always good to know what sleep and eating patterns have been like when baby not with me.
Not sure how I will get on with more than one mindee but we shall just wait and see :)

Toothfairy
10-05-2010, 07:14 AM
For my little ones I make up a daily diary folder and have it divided into 4 sections;

Diary page
Sleep
food
nappies

I have attached them and hope they may be of some help.
I also have slightly different ones for toddlers who are on solids, if you want them PM me.

HTH :thumbsup:

Celyn
10-05-2010, 08:13 PM
I don't use paper daily diaries at all these days.
I've got a form in Word that I fill out then send by email to the parents. I tried it out a little while ago to see if it was easier and I found that parents were far more likely to email me back with responses and information.
If the parents want to print it out, that's up to them, but I think they just keep them filed on their PCs.

Ben10mad
11-05-2010, 12:56 PM
I use these, i brought them off ebay.

Ant_h18
04-06-2011, 11:54 AM
Hi, i have tired to download these but it wont let me :-(

Pauline
04-06-2011, 12:36 PM
Hi, i have tired to download these but it wont let me :-(

Hi, When you joined you would have received a welcome message and email, if you follow the link in there it explains everything. :thumbsup:

nicoleon
04-06-2011, 12:48 PM
I also email mine and ask for feedback which i sometimes get... apart from two mums noone shows much interest which is a shame when you spent every evening on them :rolleyes: i have just started to make sure i update them at lunch time and and then quickly add the afternoon info just before the children leave which is a lot better than doing it at 9pm! I used to feel really bad if i did any sort of paperwork during the time the kids are here but i'm beginning to realise that it's gotta be done. i just have to fit it in with sleep and free play times and then i got my evening back! sort of. if my DD goes to sleep. and someone has taken the dog out. and cleaned the kitchen. ah well, nevermind. one day i WILL have an evening to myself again :laughing: :laughing:

Mrs Book
04-06-2011, 04:33 PM
18mths on and reading all these posts freeks me out. I have an a5 ruled book and write in there what we have done, lunch sleep nappies etc if necessary and also anything else they need to know.

I also talk to parent's about their child's day. Yes I know there is no right or wrong way of doing but reading what you are all doing makes me think I am doing it all wrong:laughing:

clorogue
04-06-2011, 07:27 PM
18mths on and reading all these posts freeks me out. I have an a5 ruled book and write in there what we have done, lunch sleep nappies etc if necessary and also anything else they need to know.

I also talk to parent's about their child's day. Yes I know there is no right or wrong way of doing but reading what you are all doing makes me think I am doing it all wrong:laughing:

Please don't freak out...what you are doing is just fine. That is exactly what I do and the two inspectors came thought it was great. Parents sign it every evening or leave me messages.

Playmate
04-06-2011, 07:33 PM
I've got a form in Word that I fill out then send by email to the parents. I tried it out a little while ago to see if it was easier and I found that parents were far more likely to email me back with responses and information.
If the parents want to print it out, that's up to them, but I think they just keep them filed on their PCs.

This is what we do and the parents love them, also means if you have a really busy day and short of time youcan quickly do them when the children have gone home.

miffy
04-06-2011, 08:55 PM

Hmmmn - might ask parents if they would prefer this to written diaries. Thanks for the idea

Miffy xx

georgie456
07-06-2011, 05:26 PM

Don't freak out! We all do it differently and it's all about finding a method that suits you.

I buy very cheap exercise books and for under 3's I write a very brief note in each day (what they especially enjoyed rather than listing what we did, and any things that need mentioning)
For my over 3's I have a 'communication book' - it stays in their bags and I only write in it if something needs reminding, or if something significant has happened that day. They rarely get written in.

Ofsted were more than happy with my method as they could see from parent questionnaires that I am regularly communicating with parents even if it's not in a book.

You definitely are not doing it wrong!

lisa b
16-06-2011, 06:40 PM

This is what i use for under 3 year old, Over 3's is the same put potty/toilet use and misses out the bottles :)

DaisyLil
25-08-2011, 11:18 AM
I use these, i brought them off ebay.

These are very similiar to the ones I use that I created myself. I love the idea that Celyn says about emailing out reports - I recently bought myself a laptop to use for childminding and this is an excellent way to put it to more use.

My husband who runs his own IT Company has come up with another idea to strengthen this which is scanning all previous written reports and setting up a secure system where parents can get them on our server, they can then access everything I hold on their child including any photo's taken.

Don't know why I never thought before about emailing reports - it's certainly the way the world is going

marleymoo
29-08-2011, 02:13 PM
We don't need to do one its not a requirement of the EYFS so please don't stress or spend too much time on it at the expense of all the things you have got to do - get used to doing the other things then add it on as it were - its just one method you can use to show you are working in partnership with parents - other methods could be - texting notes daily or stating in your SEF that you spend X amount of time daily, weekly or monthly with parents on a 1-1 basis giving them info on their children.

Remember we are all individuals and if we are to celebrate diversity in the children and their families then our diversity should be celebrated also if not that is a form of discrimination too. Its also important that no minder who has difficulties with literacy should be made feel inadequate as a result of this - so I say find the way that suits you best to communicate with parents even if it means that you record voice messages for parents - document it in your policies and proceedures - and on your sef and you will be meeting the requirements of EYFS.

Hope this helps.

best advice i've seen so far. I have many learners who are embarrassed to write notes because they don't spell very well or are dyslexic. we've also got to remember that some parents are like this too, some can't read either. personally, i think far too many ppl are writing far too much. it's scaring me eek!

primula
21-09-2011, 09:13 PM
agree with mrs book and marleymoo!
does anyone think this is getting worse, i cant believe some minders do that everyday with pics and all. Do they do this for every child in nurseries?

QualityCare
22-09-2011, 08:17 AM
l agree to much emphasis is put on who does the 'best' daily diary, l write a daily record sheet for babies and toddlers up to about 2-2.6yrs detailing bottles food nappies sleeps mood and activities, as the children get older l give verbal feed back at the end of the day, l take photos print off two give one to parents and one for journals

PaulaF
07-10-2011, 04:56 PM
I have jusy started doing mine online and have "done away" with paper ones

I add a photo to the child's online diary everyday and a few details about what the have eaten and what activities we have done that day. Parents can leave comments as often as they like and can "share" their child's online diaries with their families (if they give them their login details)

It is all hosted on my website and each child has their own login details

It has made my life so much easier!

babs
07-10-2011, 07:12 PM
I don't do daily diary anymore as parents come in for a five minute chat at pick up..so they get told about food sleeps happiest and what we have done that day. Felt like I was repeating myself I discussed it we all parents first and all agreed.

cupcake22
12-10-2011, 05:39 PM
I don't do daily diary anymore as parents come in for a five minute chat at pick up..so they get told about food sleeps happiest and what we have done that day. Felt like I was repeating myself I discussed it we all parents first and all agreed.

I am loving the fact the you dont do daily diaries any more but doesn't Mrs O want to see evidence of what we have done during our day. I do daily diaries for this purpose but I talk to my mindees parents at drop off & discuss their childrens day at pick up. They really dont want me to tell them about it & then have to read it aswell. Most of them turn up in a hurry have a quick chat, grab their little one & go home for dinner & get on with their evening.

Cupcake22

*daisychain*
12-10-2011, 07:04 PM
I'm glad I'm not the only one who just writes the basics, sleeps, feeds, nappy changes and anything I feel the parents would want to know in a A5 note book.I have just two under 18 months and can't imagin where I would get the time during the day to be sticking in photos and such . I save that for their learning journeys. Each to there own :)