PDA

View Full Version : nappy changing

lorraines little treasures
22-01-2009, 09:59 AM
can anybody help, when i change a childs nappy i use gloves, but when i was changing a nappy yesterday thought,do you take gloves off before you put a new one on the child or do you leave the gloves on untill you have finished altogether,new nappy on and put into bin,
what does everyone else do,as i dont want to be doing it wrong when ofsted call for my inspection, please help:panic:

DudleyChildmind
22-01-2009, 11:05 AM
That's a good question. I usually keep the gloves on until I've finished so I'd be interested to hear what everyone else does too :)

lolatallulah
22-01-2009, 11:09 AM
I take off gloves when i've finished cleaning away any bodily fluids and rolled all soiled wipes up with nappy & popped into nappy sack, along with gloves. I don't bother with gloves to put on clean nappy as there's no skin to skin contact.

X kate X

marion123
22-01-2009, 11:14 AM
I usually keep the gloves on until I've finished then the gloves go in the nappy bag to

Bananabrain
22-01-2009, 12:00 PM
We've been told that apparently we need plastic aprons{like in hospitals] too.Where will it all end:laughing: Soon we'll all be walking around in plastic bubbles:laughing:

don the duck
22-01-2009, 12:12 PM
I usually keep the gloves on until I've finished then the gloves go in the nappy bag to

this is what i do.

rickysmiths
22-01-2009, 12:32 PM
I havent heard about the need to have aprons a frankly I wouldnt bother.

When changing a nappy I clear the dirty nappy and bottom with my gloves on. Take them off and dispose of them with the nappy. Put the clean nappy on .
Then you dont contaminate the clean nappy.
Last Jan Ofsted complimented me on my nappy changing technique and even commented on it in my report.
Hpoe this helps.

misst104
22-01-2009, 12:36 PM
We've been told that apparently we need plastic aprons{like in hospitals] too.Where will it all end:laughing: Soon we'll all be walking around in plastic bubbles:laughing:

:angry: Its ridiculous !!!

carebear25
22-01-2009, 01:20 PM
Silly question mayb - but do I have 2 wear them changin my own lo's bum?:cool: if im not immediately gonna change mindees.

kindredspirits
22-01-2009, 01:30 PM
in front of ofsted - yes.... when you're on your own, well i don't or i'd be spending a fortune on gloves and i care about the environment too much!

mushpea
22-01-2009, 01:48 PM
i dont use plastic gloves as i think they are too clinical, i would never have used them on my own and wouldnt on another child. there is no need. as long as you have good hygine ie washing hands, wiping the mat down aftewards it should be ok. infact i had a child once who had worms and when i rang the NHs for advice they said the same as above and said that even then there was no need for gloves. ofsted came to me last summer and i had no gloves and they didn't say anything about it.

Shirlwith3
22-01-2009, 02:05 PM
When I change nappies I use gloves to change nappy then put dirty nappy in nappy sack then put clean nappy on then take of gloves & put them in nappy scak too.
The reason I wear gloves is that I fell ill if I change a dirty nappy with anything on may hands, I go all funny at just the thoubght of no gloves.

Shirl

rickysmiths
22-01-2009, 02:13 PM
i dont use plastic gloves as i think they are too clinical, i would never have used them on my own and wouldnt on another child. there is no need. as long as you have good hygine ie washing hands, wiping the mat down aftewards it should be ok. infact i had a child once who had worms and when i rang the NHs for advice they said the same as above and said that even then there was no need for gloves. ofsted came to me last summer and i had no gloves and they didn't say anything about it.

I,m really surprised to hear this. No I never used gloves on my own children but always have on mindees, I,m surprised Ofsted havent commented to you during their inspections, they are pretty hot on it. Non of the children I have looked after have seemed at all bothered that I,m wearing gloves.

nikim
22-01-2009, 04:59 PM

i have to say i agree and in the 7 years that i have been minding i have had 3 inspections the latest being oct 08 i didnt wear gloves when i changed the little ones or when helping another use the potty i just made sure i washed my hands and the changing mat after each one she didnt question it and there was nothing mentioned in my report for which i was awarded good in all areas :clapping: , there is also nothing mentioned in the standards about wearing gloves so its not a legal requirement (corect me if i am wrong) and they cant mark it against you even if they think you should wear them, i think it all depends on the inspector

ajs
22-01-2009, 05:04 PM
never worn gloves and don't intend to start now, it's just another plastic thing to go into landfill.

mummyroysof3
22-01-2009, 05:21 PM
im pleased people have said that as im not intending to wear gloves i never have with my children, handwashing and cleaning the mat after every use will do unless anyone tells me different

charlotte x

balloon
22-01-2009, 05:35 PM
I always wear gloves throughout the whole nappy change and then they go into the nappy disposal with the nappy and any wipes etc at the end of the change - no idea of this is acceptable or not as I haven't been inspected yet.

If I do forget one of my LOs shouts at me 'you forgotten a put yer glubs on!!' so I soon get booted into touch.

I was told I had to wear them at my pre reg inspection so always have. I used to have to wear them in the nursery and school I worked in too so it's second nature tbh.

Minstrel
22-01-2009, 06:04 PM
I always wear gloves throughout the whole nappy change and then they go into the nappy disposal with the nappy and any wipes etc at the end of the change - no idea of this is acceptable or not as I haven't been inspected yet.

If I do forget one of my LOs shouts at me 'you forgotten a put yer glubs on!!' so I soon get booted into touch.

I was told I had to wear them at my pre reg inspection so always have. I used to have to wear them in the nursery and school I worked in too so it's second nature tbh.

he he sorry that made me laugh. my 2yo son calls gloves 'glubs' too lol

jibberjitz
22-01-2009, 06:57 PM
Is it a 'requirement' to wear gloves for nappy changing? Would washing hands and using the germ gel stuff not be good enough?

Liz

Ripeberry
22-01-2009, 07:30 PM
I help out at the pre-school most days and one of the workers is a key worker to a SN child and when she has to change his nappy (he is 4yrs old) she gets all dressed up in gloves and plastic apron. Does look like a hospital worker, then she goes in the small room for the 'operation'. lol!

juelmer
17-09-2011, 08:01 PM
Sorry to bring an old thread back to life but I was wondering what you wash the mats with? Are wet wipes enough or do you need to wash with soap and water or a disinfectant? Thanks

Minstrel
17-09-2011, 08:13 PM
I have a packet of Milton wipes next to my mat. :)

Vickster
17-09-2011, 08:14 PM
I have never worn gloves and didn't change a nappy (I think) at my last inspection. I am happy to clean them, clean the mat clean their hands and clean mine before I touch anything else.

Vickster
17-09-2011, 08:15 PM
Anti bac wipes -dettol here

Ripeberry
17-09-2011, 09:18 PM

I take the gloves off to put the new nappy on. If the glove gets dirty then it's best to take it off.

juelmer
18-09-2011, 07:19 AM
I use separate mats for each child so is it necessary to clean it after each use if it doeasn't get dirty or can I wait until the last change of the day? I'm just thinking about the amount of anti bac wipes I'll be going through per day, I would have to stock pile :panic:

rickysmiths
18-09-2011, 07:23 AM
I have a packet of Milton wipes next to my mat. :)

This is what I do and I wipe the mat after every change. :thumbsup:

uf353432
18-09-2011, 02:50 PM
wearing gloves is not a requirement but a recommendation. Its as much to protect you as it is a child. Since there is no legal requirement for us or a parent to communicate any blood born diseases wearing gloves protects us in case a child does have a disease that is carried in the blood it can be passed to to through cuts in the hands from any blood that might be present in the stools. Likewise you should use gloves to clear up vomit as well - though they don't say you have to when changing a wet nappy only recommend when its soiled. Yes its very clinical - but it is good practise and no you wouldn't need to do it on your own child even in front of Ofsted - because you can explain that you know that your child doesn't carry any diseases carried by the blood. Washing the mats down is a definate good practise as well.

snufflepuff
18-09-2011, 03:28 PM
I only wear gloves for dirty nappies, not if it's just wet. I tend to wrap the gloves around the nappy, then put it in a nappy sack (double wrapped, keeps smells in!) then put the clean nappy on.

jane5
18-09-2011, 03:40 PM
I dont use gloves and didnt last week when Ofsted were here and I changed a dirty nappy.

I washed the lo's hands with a baby wipe, use gel on my hands and washed the mat with antibac wipes and she didnt say anything. I got good across the board :thumbsup:

littlecheeks
18-09-2011, 04:05 PM
I dont use gloves and didnt last week when Ofsted were here and I changed a dirty nappy.

I washed the lo's hands with a baby wipe, use gel on my hands and washed the mat with antibac wipes and she didnt say anything. I got good across the board :thumbsup:

i have to say i do the same, my personal feelings are it is ridiculous to wear gloves. i never have and will not unless we are told we HAVE too. i think some things go a step to far.

~Grasshopper~
18-09-2011, 04:50 PM
i NEVER wear gloves, i tried and it was a right faff, i was also told by my do that its not neccessary and impersonal. at my inspection a few weeks ago the inspector asked if i used them and i said no, its impersonal and i make sure i wash my hands and use an antibac wipe on the individual childs mat. he was happy with this :)

xx

Mamma4Ya
18-09-2011, 05:06 PM
I do not think the gloves are good for the invironment so I am hoping that it is not a requirement with CSSIW. I believe that good hygiene practice should be enough.

babs
18-09-2011, 08:52 PM
i have never worn gloves with my own or mindees untill last xmas when i had one lo who was a little off colour not only did i go down with what ever he had my hubby did to and we endded up with ambulance been called never had a xmas still wasnt right at new year,so now i wear gloves for every dirty nappy change and clean then wipe gloves with wet one and place clean nappy on then gloves go in nappy bag and outside bin.. as for changing mat i brought some really cheap towels from asda that cover mat use one for each child but still wipe mat down in between with milton spray and kitchen roll or milton wipes.. again this goes in nappy bag and binned .. wash hands after ive binned nappy..

catminder
18-09-2011, 09:30 PM
Just wondered where do you all buy gloves from for nappy changes. I've bought some clear plastic/paper ones from wilco but the're very 'slippy'. I've seen loads of latex gloves but don't think we can use those due to possible allergic reaction.

messyplay
19-09-2011, 07:10 AM
I was inspected last week and asked how would change a nappy. Told her how and she asked if i wear gloves to which i replied no its a very personal thing we do for them and as long as hands are washed well afterwards that should be enough , although if the child had a really bad nappy i would. She gave me outstanding

JCrakers
19-09-2011, 10:31 AM
I've never used gloves and dont intend to start.

Ofsted never said anything to me about it, and if they mention it this time I will ask them what is wrong with anti bac soap and dettol?
And I shall be asking them about the waste and environmental issues regading more plastic waste :D

Becky x

christine e
19-09-2011, 11:40 AM
I only wear gloves for soiled nappies and normally only wear one on my right hand (if the nappy is very unpleasant I wear one on each hand), I then pick up the nappy with the gloved hand and with the none gloved hand hold the glove at the top and pull over the nappy so that the glove is turned inside out and the nappy is then inside the glove. I wear an apron sometimes - if nappy looks very messy!

Cx