PDA

View Full Version : Working in the parents home

Millievanilli
22-01-2009, 08:06 AM
Hello, I've recently become a childminder but haven't had any enquiries yet and have seen an advert looking for someone to care for their child in their own home on a regular basis. Am I allowed to do this as a childminder? I don't want to be breaking the law! I think the lady might be working from home rather than going out to work so I know that makes a difference. She's ringing me later so will find out more then but wanted to get more of an idea. Thanks, Faith.

singlewiththree
22-01-2009, 08:14 AM
If you did that then you would be classed as a nanny not a childminder and therefore there are different rules. However nanny's can be self employed but you wouldn't get the same tax benefits as you are using their house.

someone more informative will post soon

sarah707
22-01-2009, 09:46 AM
Yes you'd either be a nanny or a mother's help depending on what the job entails.

Nothing to say you can't do it but I'm not sure where you would stand on insurance.

I suggest you contact your insurance company if you decide to go ahead.

You would also need to discuss wages / tax / national insurance and whether you are self employed or employed. I don't know enough about it to advise but the tax office are usually very helpful with these sorts of things.

Good luck! :D

angeldelight
22-01-2009, 09:58 AM
Agree with the others

Just wanted to say good luck whatever you decide to do

Angel xx

Millievanilli
22-01-2009, 01:00 PM
Thanks for the replies, I found out she will be working from home so I guess I will be like a nanny, although forgot to mention earlier that I'll be bringing my daughter with me. Am going to her house tommorrow to have a chat so will see how it goes :)

jibberjitz
22-01-2009, 07:39 PM
Good luck and let us know how you get on:)

Liz

Millievanilli
23-01-2009, 03:08 PM
Thanks, I met up with the lady today and she gave me the job and am starting next week so am pleased about that. The only thing is am not sure where that leaves me with childminding as there will be 3 mornings where I'm not available for that now. My new 'boss' said that eventually her little boy might be able to come to my house instead of hers though so if that happens it would be great

PixiePetal
23-01-2009, 03:40 PM
Don't fill the times when you are working at her house and allow time to be back home for any arrivals at yours.