PDA

View Full Version : Babysitting agencies

singlewiththree
22-01-2009, 07:58 AM
Does anyone know how much babysitting agencies charge. I was approached by a parent at a birthday party yesterday asking me would I care for her two boys (one with aspergers) in their own home one evening as she usually uses an agency but she said they are expensive and she would prefer someone she knew and they knew. My inital reaction was no but I do need the money and my own children go to their dads once a fornight so if it fitted in it would be perfect. I was just wondering if her view of expensive would be what I would charge anyway. I was going to charge £4 an hour.

HomefromHome
22-01-2009, 08:02 AM
sounds very reasonable to me - bet the agencies charge twice that! why dont you ring them and find out??!! :)

RedDragon
22-01-2009, 08:04 AM
I would charge more than £4 an hour!!!!

I don't know about you but if I was that woman I would have said "I would prefer the money going to you rather than the agency" - by saying "they are too expensive" but give me the hump a bit (but I'm feeling grumpy this morning).

I would look the fees up well before I quoted a price - even if she matched it she would be better off as she knows you/likes you etc.

Don't sell yourself short. ;) and if you are shy about saying prices put it on a sheet of paper all professional looking.

Donkey
22-01-2009, 08:14 AM
I would say at least £5 per hour before midnight, remember you have 2 of them and I bet your cm rates are more than this!!

and then I would be charging £7.50 after midnight + taxi fare home :D

singlewiththree
22-01-2009, 08:16 AM
Your right if I was minding them it would be £7 per hour but hopefully they will be in bed and I have a car.

I will be seeing her in the playground today so I will ask her the dates to see when it is and ask her how much she pays now if I'm brave enough. £4 is probably too low perhaps £5-6 is more on the mark.

Will let you know how I go on
Paula

loocyloo
22-01-2009, 09:33 AM
if any help...
a nanny friend charges £8/hour & £16/hour after midnight. ( she is VERY experienced )

she also works for a babysitting agency, and says the parents have to pay a fee to the agency to get/use a babysitter, then pay the babysitter too!

xxx

FizzysFriends
22-01-2009, 09:43 AM
Sitters recommend (for non London) £5.35 an hour in the week with a minimum 4 hours charge. They also charge £12 a quater and an additional £4 per booking.

RedDragon
22-01-2009, 10:09 AM
But put in the contract in big letters:

A £50 fine will be imposed if the following are not left for "babysitter" in the living room next to the remote control and take a break magazine:

"4 tubes of Pringles - different flavours",
Ben and Jerrys x 2
Fruit juice (not from concentrate)

:)

I remember paying our next door neighbour for looking after 2 of our children - I gave her a very generous amount of cash, said help yourself to food (fridge full to brim). She was 15 and her parents were in next door (terraced house).

DH and I had a great night out (If I remember rightly it was an Erasure gig in 1997) and we got split so made our own way home - I had dressed up as a cowgirl and split up from our other 2 friends (1 was a cowboy). Had to make my way on public transport from Wembley all the way to SE London. Got home looking like a reject from a line dancing championship, "cowgirl" make up smeared from being in a massive gig crowd

only to see the gorgeous long legged 15 year old flirting outrageously with my DH in the kitchen - she was eating MY grapes (seductively) AND I was paying her to do so!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:blush: Sorry.

Kes
22-01-2009, 07:52 PM
I'm with sitters and they put their charges up in november it is £5.75 an hour. When I babysit without sitters I charge £5 an hour.

FizzysFriends
22-01-2009, 07:56 PM
I'm with sitters and they put their charges up in november it is £5.75 an hour. When I babysit without sitters I charge £5 an hour.

Im waiting for my 'interview' can you tell me what happens, what they ask?

Kes
22-01-2009, 10:07 PM
They just gave me some forms to fill in with details such as employment history, references etc. Then they explained how sitters work and asked me to sign a contract. Did'nt get asked any questions.

Kerry