PDA

View Full Version : safety locks/glass

LisaMarie
21-01-2009, 08:50 PM
Does anyone know where and if i need dryer and washer locks? the washer won't open when on, but the dryer will. Sarah'e RA e-book mentions them and I have no idea where to get them from. Will a drawer lock the goes round the corber be ok, or do i need a proper lock designed for washers and dryers.

Also I have a double glazed french door in the kitchen leading onto the garden. Will I need some safety glass on this? it is a new house, so I presume it will have the new toughened glass.

Oh, and one last thing. I have a built in oven that is near the floor (if that makes sense) child hieght thats it! what will I need to do about that?

Sorry about all the questions, my brain is functioing and OH is being as helpful as ever :censored:

sorry if its in the wrong section

Lisa xxx

kindredspirits
21-01-2009, 08:55 PM
hiya lisa,
you will need a lock on your dryer IF when the door is shut it turns on automatically. My old one if it was on and you shut the door it started up, so it had a lock, my new one its got a start button, therefore no lock required.
same goes for washing machine i think. these locks were the ones that are self adhesive and bendy, all purpose ones. (mothercare do them for a fiver.)
you also need a lock on your chest freezer if you've got one.
as for the cooker, i've got a stairgate on my kitchen door that i tell ofsted is locked if i do any cooking, so that was good enough. if not i think you can get heatproof oven locks.

your double glazing should be fine, i think if its double glazed its automatically safe. look for a kite mark if you're not sure.

hth
anna x

Lick'le Oakes
21-01-2009, 09:55 PM
Hi you can get a cooker guard for 24.99 from Argos. Its very good just sticks on and it does reduce the heat from the cooker so i was very pleased with it.

I also had to buy some plastic safety stuff its like a thicker type of cling film, from mothercare to put on the glass on the sliding doors in my lounge but the Ofsted Lady said if it was toughened glass i wouldn't need to bother but as they are old i did. It was 17.99 a roll and you can buy it online if you need it.

louised
22-01-2009, 07:39 AM
The glass in your doors will be fine but Ofsted will require some kind of stickers on them to show when they are closed, like the ones on hotels and appartments abroad

rickysmiths
22-01-2009, 08:43 AM
The glass in your doors will be fine but Ofsted will require some kind of stickers on them to show when they are closed, like the ones on hotels and appartments abroad

I just have fun stickers on mine . We still have the snow flakes on a the moment we also have flowers, butterflys and planes. Just means you can see the glass is there.