PDA

View Full Version : DHC - did you enjoy?????

misst104
21-01-2009, 01:43 PM
Myself and a friend (also a pre-reg member on here) are doing our DHC training this Saturday and next. I have spoken to a couple of people who have done this recently and both said it was boring as anything and all common sense stuff that you know already :( Just wondered if this is how you guys felt or is there anyone out there that actually enjoyed it and found it useful????

Maybe depends on the delivery?

Jo x x x :)

jibberjitz
21-01-2009, 01:53 PM
Hiya (waves:) ) Jo,

Thanks for asking this as was wondering it myself:panic: Not looking forward to Sat but as least we're going together:laughing: Hope there's plenty of tea breaks:rolleyes:

Liz

misst104
21-01-2009, 02:07 PM
Hiya (waves:) ) Jo,

Thanks for asking this as was wondering it myself:panic: Not looking forward to Sat but as least we're going together:laughing: Hope there's plenty of tea breaks:rolleyes:

Liz

And Yummy biccies like welfare requirements day !! ( Oh no, forgot WW!!!! :laughing: )

LOOPYLISA
21-01-2009, 02:37 PM
I found it rather boring to begin with, i only attended a few sessions, first the tutor was ill then i was ill for a few weeks with phumonia, so i did miss alot and did fail but my next one is feb and i do hope to pass, its common sence but do read twice as they can be cofusing x good luck x:thumbsup:

Pipsqueak
21-01-2009, 02:44 PM
Is it Unit 1 you are doing or are you starting the full DHC units 2-5?

I actually found it quite helpful and informative, we had a brill tutor who acknowledged the some things were a bit boring (nothing is ever 100% exciting in study situations), other bits were tough. I definately got something out of the full DHC - it helped me get back into study (in prep for all the other training I have done), I got out of it what I put into it really. It helped me start reflecting on my practice and understanding the legislation that is in place (but again that is me I will go of and research something if I want to find out more)

misst104
21-01-2009, 02:56 PM
Is it Unit 1 you are doing or are you starting the full DHC units 2-5?

I actually found it quite helpful and informative, we had a brill tutor who acknowledged the some things were a bit boring (nothing is ever 100% exciting in study situations), other bits were tough. I definately got something out of the full DHC - it helped me get back into study (in prep for all the other training I have done), I got out of it what I put into it really. It helped me start reflecting on my practice and understanding the legislation that is in place (but again that is me I will go of and research something if I want to find out more)

Hiya Pipsquek. Thanks for that. Its just the DHC 1 :( I'm a qualified nursery nurse but did do training a long time ago so maybe theories will have changed abit.) Have got 20 years experience working in childcare and have done child psychology and development etc so hopefully will get the gist of it :)

Jo x x x

Pipsqueak
21-01-2009, 03:27 PM
Hiya Pipsquek. Thanks for that. Its just the DHC 1 :( I'm a qualified nursery nurse but did do training a long time ago so maybe theories will have changed abit.) Have got 20 years experience working in childcare and have done child psychology and development etc so hopefully will get the gist of it :)

Jo x x x

Hi Jo

Don't forget the DHC including unit 1 (ICP) is geared towards childminding and what it involves. You are coming at this from the angle of experience of childcare. The ICP is an introduction - it has to accomodate those who have no experience so you perhaps might find it a bit dull. The ICP (should) covers the basics of EYFS, the business side of things, safeguarding (basic) etc. I am with you on this - I start my tutor training for ICP tomorrow night!:)

Go into this with an open mind (sounds like that is what you are doing anyway) and the other thing I can say when you get to the exam at the end come at it from a non-experienced or parental point of view. As a support minder we had to take a "mock" test just to experience it (when I done ICP it was assignment based), I passed thankfully but answered from experience not how the should and would angle.

You'll be fine:thumbsup:

misst104
21-01-2009, 03:36 PM
Hi Jo

Don't forget the DHC including unit 1 (ICP) is geared towards childminding and what it involves. You are coming at this from the angle of experience of childcare. The ICP is an introduction - it has to accomodate those who have no experience so you perhaps might find it a bit dull. The ICP (should) covers the basics of EYFS, the business side of things, safeguarding (basic) etc. I am with you on this - I start my tutor training for ICP tomorrow night!:)

Go into this with an open mind (sounds like that is what you are doing anyway) and the other thing I can say when you get to the exam at the end come at it from a non-experienced or parental point of view. As a support minder we had to take a "mock" test just to experience it (when I done ICP it was assignment based), I passed thankfully but answered from experience not how the should and would angle.

You'll be fine:thumbsup:

Thanks pipsqueak :thumbsup: . Will let you all know how we get on. Good luck with your tutor training (more things to learn - glutton for punishment :laughing: )

Jo x x x

Polka Dots
21-01-2009, 06:35 PM
I'll let you know Jo. My first session starts in 1/2 an hour.

:clapping: :laughing: :clapping:

Mollymop
21-01-2009, 06:49 PM
Yes the DNC unit 1 (ICP) can be boring, but not all that bad. One good thing is you will learn quite a bit of valuable info about childminding which will help you in your business. A real good thing is you will get a chance to meet new people there too.

jibberjitz
21-01-2009, 09:43 PM
And Yummy biccies like welfare requirements day !! ( Oh no, forgot WW!!!! :laughing: )

If its boring I may have to resort to eating the biscuits :p

Liz

Polka Dots
21-01-2009, 11:14 PM
My first DHC session was ok, not mega exciting but it wasn't boring either. I'm happy because I feel I'm now on my way to becoming registered. :)

Buzz Lightyear
22-01-2009, 05:28 PM
Howdie doodie!

You and Liz will be fine. As you pretty much know your stuff already, you might find it a bit zzzzzzzzzzzz but just make notes, it passes the day quickly!!

The second Saturday is a lot better (I thought).

Think the NCMA tutor is Pat (or Pam) Tomlinson. She's nice enough but was pretty nervous. I got the impression is was her first attempt at tutoring but I might have been wrong.

Actually, you might end up with someone totally different.

Anyway, enjoy Saturday both of you x

RedDragon
22-01-2009, 06:18 PM
I completed DHC Units 1-5 (one after the other) and if I'm honest I didn't enjoy the course at all. :blush:

If it wasn't for the other CM's who were on the course I would have packed it in.

I found it a hard slog - think it (units 2-5) took 16 months and we had to go 1 evening a week after working all day.

Everyone thought the tutor was awful and she picked on a few people (me and 2 others).

I did 1 assignment, asked the tutor to go over it for me and she said "Don't touch it" - she then marked it a few weeks later and I got a D

It's done now though and I made a lot of friends.

Hope it hasn't put you off.

Chatterbox Childcare
22-01-2009, 06:28 PM
I did mine a few years ago before it was DHC and it was in the evenings.

I met some great childminders, a couple of which have become good friends. There were parts of it that I already new (made the assignments easier) but it was social and fun.

I think it contributed to me getting on with the EYFS too.

Give it a go - you might have fun

misst104
22-01-2009, 06:30 PM
I completed DHC Units 1-5 (one after the other) and if I'm honest I didn't enjoy the course at all. :blush:

If it wasn't for the other CM's who were on the course I would have packed it in.

I found it a hard slog - think it (units 2-5) took 16 months and we had to go 1 evening a week after working all day.

Everyone thought the tutor was awful and she picked on a few people (me and 2 others).

I did 1 assignment, asked the tutor to go over it for me and she said "Don't touch it" - she then marked it a few weeks later and I got a D

It's done now though and I made a lot of friends.

Hope it hasn't put you off.

We are only doing the unit 1 part over the next two weeks (not all of it like I think you have done). Will let you know after saturday if its put us off or not. As Liz said, the hotel we do the training is is very nice and provide great refreshments so we will enjoy that if nothing else :laughing:

Jo x x x

RedDragon
23-01-2009, 08:09 AM
Fab the setting can make all the difference. I remember doing my Unit 1 with a lovely tutor - I saw her in the EYFS day out and she held the group together well while she was talking, making it interesting.

I think my sticking point WAS the tutor, not the work - I was transported back to being in Primary School with Mrs Edwards who picked on me (and Graham Bradford who I contacted not too long ago who said she has a lot to answer for on how his life has panned out!!!!!!). The tutor would say things like "There are those of you who need help with confidence (stare right at me) and those of you who maybe have a bit too much (me!!) after I had got a question right. If she asked a question and I knew it - e.g. Anyone know who Pavlov is? No answer from our group, complete silence - so I pipe up Did he have a dog (he did and this was 1 of the main reasons why people remember him) and she would pull a face as if to say Oh, gob on a stick has spoken. I just thought I was helping her out by breaking the silence (shoud have broken wind instead).

As someone else said it needs to be done and by 2010 all childminders need to have a level 3 so looks like we have no choice.

You will meet some terrific people (I got good friends with a CM that I had known for a few years already but hadn't got to know properly - I didn't realise she was such a nice person and that alone was worth taking the course).

Sorry for the long post.

jibberjitz
23-01-2009, 08:50 PM
Fab the setting can make all the difference. I remember doing my Unit 1 with a lovely tutor - I saw her in the EYFS day out and she held the group together well while she was talking, making it interesting.

I think my sticking point WAS the tutor, not the work - I was transported back to being in Primary School with Mrs Edwards who picked on me (and Graham Bradford who I contacted not too long ago who said she has a lot to answer for on how his life has panned out!!!!!!). The tutor would say things like "There are those of you who need help with confidence (stare right at me) and those of you who maybe have a bit too much (me!!) after I had got a question right. If she asked a question and I knew it - e.g. Anyone know who Pavlov is? No answer from our group, complete silence - so I pipe up Did he have a dog (he did and this was 1 of the main reasons why people remember him) and she would pull a face as if to say Oh, gob on a stick has spoken. I just thought I was helping her out by breaking the silence (shoud have broken wind instead).

As someone else said it needs to be done and by 2010 all childminders need to have a level 3 so looks like we have no choice.

You will meet some terrific people (I got good friends with a CM that I had known for a few years already but hadn't got to know properly - I didn't realise she was such a nice person and that alone was worth taking the course).

Sorry for the long post.

Oooooh I hope the tutor is nice:panic: I may overload on the biccies if not :laughing:

Liz