PDA

View Full Version : At the start of it all....

Sammy_lou3108
21-01-2009, 12:03 PM
hi everyone!

Will apologise straight away if i ask too many questions :blush: or ask things that have been asked a million and one times but you all seem so friendly i know I am coming to the right place to start! :littleangel:

Having wanted to work in childminding like forever I am now in the lucky postion that my now parter is VERY supportive of me and has given me the go ahead to start looking into it! :thumbsup:

I have my sure start intersted meeting next week (I'm not so luckily off work at the moment due to a whiplash injury!) so can attend more or less straight away. I've managed to put aside some of my worries thanks to reading through the posts on here (age, no formal experience other than family, no children of my own) but was hoping that anyone could help me with a few i have left!

*Did any of you have problems when your "first" child came to you where the parent was worried that you'd never child minded before and how did you overcome this?
*My back garden in the house is only really paved and pebbled, will this cause a problem registering as safe for children?
*How did you find the funding to start buying all the toys/childproofing things for starting out?
*Does the house need to be perfectly decorated/in working order? We aren't messy dont get me wrong but our smallest kitten has a bad habit of shappening her nails on our wallpaper!
*where did you find out all the do's and donts with the house and contacts and parents pack?

Like i said, sorry in advance as I'm sure you have all been asked all these before and I'll ask lots more before i get registered!

Sam

michellethegooner
21-01-2009, 12:28 PM
*Did any of you have problems when your "first" child came to you where the parent was worried that you'd never child minded before and how did you overcome this?
Parents never asked tbh, but I do have 2 kids of my own, my first 2 mindees where 8 yrs and 3yrs old. maybe u could start babysitting whilst u are waiting for your registration, building ur experience and getting some nice references.
*My back garden in the house is only really paved and pebbled, will this cause a problem registering as safe for children?
dont think its a problem, I know a childminder with all paving and she uses garden for babies she has foam mats she puts down, and she risks assesses garden.
*How did you find the funding to start buying all the toys/childproofing things for starting out?
Most of the stuff I had from my own children, u could advertise on freecycle u can get loads of stuff on there, I also trawled charity shops, car boot sales, I got £300 funding & learnt about that through my childminding co-ordinater who I met at my coffee morning.
*Does the house need to be perfectly decorated/in working order? We aren't messy dont get me wrong but our smallest kitten has a bad habit of shappening her nails on our wallpaper!
No once it is safe & clean and doesnt pose any risks that you havent risk assessed for, then it is fine.*where did you find out all the do's and donts with the house and contacts and parents pack?
from speaking to other c/m's going to our monthly c/m forum meetings, and of course HERE......:clapping:
Like i said, sorry in advance as I'm sure you have all been asked all these before and I'll ask lots more before i get registered!

Dont b sorry if you dont ask u wont know good luck....
Sam[/QUOTE]

misst104
21-01-2009, 12:34 PM
Hi Sam, just wanted to say hi and welcome to the forum. I'm in the process of registering so can't really help with your questions, although I think Michelle had it all covered :thumbsup: . There are so many knowledgable people on here and they are all really friendly so don't worry about asking questions. Someone will always be along with the answers.

Good luck with the info session, They will be able to help with questions there too :)

Jo x x x

jibberjitz
21-01-2009, 01:39 PM
Hi Sam,

Just wanted to say welcome to the forum:) I'm new to this too and just about to start the DHC this Sat. Every area seems to be different for funding so it worth asking whats funded and what not at your local Early Years team. We get some vouchers towards safety equipement and developmental toys etc when we get registered.

Good luck with your training and hope your neck injury is feeling better soon,

Liz

Sammy_lou3108
21-01-2009, 02:14 PM
Thanks everyone!

I know being at the start i'll probably have loads more questions yet but just getting started has made me feel excited!:jump for joy:

Tatjana
22-01-2009, 06:01 PM
There's quite a lot to take in when you first start, but it gets a bit easier as you go along.

Good luck!

tulip0803
22-01-2009, 06:21 PM
hi everyone!

Hello

*Did any of you have problems when your "first" child came to you where the parent was worried that you'd never child minded before and how did you overcome this?I had no problems the Mum was just so releived to find someone she liked and that the children liked
*My back garden in the house is only really paved and pebbled, will this cause a problem registering as safe for children?Risk assess the area, you may use mats or blankets on it
*How did you find the funding to start buying all the toys/childproofing things for starting out?Boot sales, charity shops www.freecycle.org (everything free), friends, buying as I needed (didn't buy a double buggy for 18 months) sales etc
*Does the house need to be perfectly decorated/in working order? We aren't messy dont get me wrong but our smallest kitten has a bad habit of shappening her nails on our wallpaper!snap kitten & daughter in this house:laughing:
*where did you find out all the do's and donts with the house and contacts and parents pack? By speaking to other minders and asking questions, on the ICP course (DHC1 now) and there is tons of info on here. Ask away:D

Sam

Speak to you soon and just keep asking as many questions as possible XX

Tulipxx

Sammy_lou3108
22-01-2009, 07:47 PM
Thanks again everyone, cant wait to have my 2 hour is this for me session (cause already know it is lol!) and get on the first track!