PDA

View Full Version : Advice re retainer notice periods

Flowerpot
21-01-2009, 09:33 AM
Hi everyone

Just a quick question as I've got a mum coming to sign a contract this morning and I was wondering how much notice other people ask for to work on a retainer day?
The NCMA contracts state 'a reasonable amount of time' - do you think 24 hrs / 48 hrs is reasonable?

Many thanks
FP
x

miffy
21-01-2009, 09:36 AM
I'm not quite sure what you're asking.

Do you mean for periods like the school holidays when parents pay a retainer but don't use the place?

I understood that if you are charging a retainer the place must be available for the parents to use.

Miffy xx

Flowerpot
21-01-2009, 09:51 AM
Sorry - I wasn't too clear was I!

Basically I'm holding a place open for someone to start in late March / April, but the place is free now so I'm charging a half fee retainer for the period between now and then. If they require me to work on any of those days I would need a certain amount of notice beforehand - the NCMA states a reasonable amount of notice should be given - is 24 hours reasonable? Or is it more like one hour / 12 hours? I'm new to this so a bit clueless!

rickysmiths
21-01-2009, 09:53 AM
Flowerpot Hi!

If it is normally a term time contract ie either the child is at school or the parent is a teacher. I charge 1/2 fee during the holidays and ask for a weeks notice if the want to use me. I say this is to give me time to plan and rearrange things I may have organised that would not be suitable for the child concerned.

Perhaps I'm a bit naughty if the truth be known because I would rather they didnt come!:o

Hope thats of some help. Good luck.

Just seen your post. Under the circumstances I would ask for 24hrs or by Friday if they want a Monday.

PixiePetal
21-01-2009, 09:58 AM
I would be interested too, slightly different situation.

I charge half fee retainer for school hols for my term time only children( all of them !). No one has used a space yet but if one did, what is reasonable notice? I could do with a week or two as if not I can't plan for my own family!
If I had other children in holidays it wouldn't be so important. Has just worked out this way for now.

Ideas please? Thanks

PixiePetal
21-01-2009, 09:59 AM
Flowerpot Hi!

If it is normally a term time contract ie either the child is at school or the parent is a teacher. I charge 1/2 fee during the holidays and ask for a weeks notice if the want to use me. I say this is to give me time to plan and rearrange things I may have organised that would not be suitable for the child concerned.

Perhaps I'm a bit naughty if the truth be known because I would rather they didnt come!:o

Hope thats of some help. Good luck.

Just seen your post. Under the circumstances I would ask for 24hrs or by Friday if they want a Monday.

Hi rickysmiths, I got my post in after you, but you have answered my question! See you Saturday !

rickysmiths
21-01-2009, 10:15 AM
Glad I could be of help!!!! I boght some new shoes ready for all the walking on Sat!:laughing:

FizzysFriends
21-01-2009, 11:41 AM
I would think 24 hours is reasonable.