PDA

View Full Version : WHY ARE SO MANY CH GIVING UP?

MrsT333
21-01-2009, 09:06 AM
Morning all.

I have been talking to other childminders in my area and atleast 4 and maybe a fifth are giving up.....

The list seems to be getting longer every month.

Why? Is there not enuff support for us all, is it the eyfs or regulations...ofsted....???

What can we do to help CM who are thinking of giving up?

In my area of somerset things are getting really desperate, one cm is giving up and 9 parents will be looking for another cm, there isnt any cm left in my area..drastic!

LOOPYLISA
21-01-2009, 09:24 AM
Well to be honest i was only saying the same thing to hubby last night, also apart from here the cm's i have spoken to not one enjoys it :eek:

Am i doing the right thing.........:rolleyes: , i hope so ! x

sue m
21-01-2009, 09:40 AM
I think a lot of it is the paperwork, it terrifies people, and those of us who were cm's in the old days before Ofsted had it so much easier. Paperwork-wise I mean. I'm not doing too badly with the paperwork now, this forum and the ladies have helped me SO much but I still get puzzled with the linking to EYFS. It's as clear as mud actually. I take my photos, put them in the book, write up what the lo's were doing and what I think they should do next but short, medium and long term planning, it scares me!!! There are many people doing it but maybe they are just more dedicated to their work than those who give up?

oneofeach
21-01-2009, 09:40 AM
I know of a couple giving up near me.

Very few of us are full at the mo and the phone calls have stopped.

Pipsqueak
21-01-2009, 09:47 AM
I think for a lot of minders they were coming to the end of minding as it is - their own children have grown up and they have more opportunity to go out to work, economic reasons (minding isn't the best paid job in the world is it) etc, perhaps the hype surrounding EYFS pushed a few over the edge so to speak but I don't think there has been the mass exodus that OpenEye would have us believe. I know that some have been scared by the paperwork and legislation - the formailty of it all I do appreciate that and its sad that some LA's haven't given enough support to those who need or want it. But thats what CDO;s are there for - they should be getting on the phone and getting the CDO's to organise or visit.

Unless there is a national survey conducted I don't think we will know exact reasons as to why people are giving up minding.

For every minder packing in, there are several more starting up, I can see this by my vacancy and support grids. (unless thats just specific to my area?)

Luckily in our area there is a lot of support and help for minders - exisiting and new, its there for the taking but its shocking the amount of minders who don't take it up (training, contact with me as a support, contact the CDO's, attend drop ins or network meetings etc). To me they only have themselves to blame. Being quite a pro-active person anyway - even if this support wasn't here, I would be rallying and chivving other minders to get together to form our own support groups.

yummymummy
21-01-2009, 10:09 AM
Childminders around here giving up as no work due to high numbers of day nurseries and wraparound care/childrens centres. Every school in our area offers this. Older childminders I have spoken to are intimidated by EYFS and and some have brought forward their retirement as they feel out of their depth and underappreciated and newly registered ones who aren't find that after all the time, effort and expense of registering that they have to wait so long to find mindees and that they weren't given any indication that the situation was so bad locally otherwise they wouldn't have bothered.
It is not good for childminders around here, but reading on this forum it doesn't seem to be the case everywhere so hope it stays like that for the other ladies.:(

sue m
21-01-2009, 10:27 AM
I was only thinking the other day how many new girls are joining the forum.

I'm an older childminder and worried myself sick before my inspection about the paperwork but I got good in all areas and now I've relaxed but I honestly think I was ok cos I had a really nice inspector who wasn't picky - I suppose I must have done my paperwork ok or she wouldn't have given me good in all areas out of kindness. I only work 16 hours a week and have a 3 year old and an 18 month old. In the old days, you were friendly with the ladies who came round, they were Social Services and you saw them quite often (or I did) and they did the inspections so it was easier cos it was more friendly AND we didn't have to have all the paperwork we have now. I started when I was 35 and worked till I was 50 and then when I started again a couple of years ago it was a real shock. I had no idea you had to go on all the courses etc. At 56 I don't think I could get a job in an office or anywhere like that and childminding and kids are my favourite thing to do.

Muast do some paperwork this evening!!!!

michellethegooner
21-01-2009, 10:51 AM
In our area there are several factors, things like more nursery's competing with cheaper rates, breakfast clubs, also the new guidelines that says a 4 year old going to nursery/reception is classed as one of the under fives. I am thinking of giving up in the next 1-2 years,(Hence why I embarked on my NVQ 3) depending on how many I have on my books. This is not down to any of the above factors, more to do with it was always my long term plan, when my youngest starts secondary school I would stop working from home. I want my house back :jump for joy:

I have finally come to grips with the EYFS (Ithink) but even sunday night I was up till 11pm doing my 6 mth assessements I do. so that is another factor for me.

I think we will see more c/m's leaving with the credit crunch and people losing there jobs more in the areas where there are many c/m's struggling to fill their spaces.

kindredspirits
21-01-2009, 10:58 AM
i've come to the conclusion that i am going to do my job to the best of my ability - be with the children when they need me during the day. do as much paperwork as having a family (and a toddler that still wakes through the night) will allow, and *** the rest. i do enjoy my job when things are going well, i haven't done loads of paperwork and got a satisfactory on my inspection - so as long as i continue to work to the rules as it were, i'm happy, i'm getting an income and i get to be at home with my son.

sue m
21-01-2009, 11:07 AM
Absolutely. I agree with that. My kids are in their 30's so not at home but I do have my husband as you know with alzheimer's and in a home and I go and see him so I do the same as you, I earn a few quid a week and only work part time and do my paperwork when I can, or when I'm in the mood. I'm sure I don't do it as well as I should but I do my best. The kids love coming here and parents are happy with what I do. I've been a cm since I was 35 and had the 6 years off to care for Steve and was on jsa after Steve went in the home and then I had to get a job and this was the obvious and first choice.

LOOPYLISA
21-01-2009, 11:08 AM
i've come to the conclusion that i am going to do my job to the best of my ability - be with the children when they need me during the day. do as much paperwork as having a family (and a toddler that still wakes through the night) will allow, and *** the rest. i do enjoy my job when things are going well, i haven't done loads of paperwork and got a satisfactory on my inspection - so as long as i continue to work to the rules as it were, i'm happy, i'm getting an income and i get to be at home with my son.

Agree with you Anna, i will do my best and if they don.t like it ********* x

nannysue
21-01-2009, 01:26 PM
I agree with Sue I'm an even older childminder :eek: I'm in my 3oth year, and i still love doing it but...... the paperwork is giving me sleepless nights!! I can't get my head around some of it. Daft i know but i almost feel as though my job depends on having it all correct and pleasing Ofsted. All my parents are happy with what i do and all the little ones are certainly happy so thats all that should matter really.

In the olden days:laughing: it was so much more relaxed and i do think we were given more support, I went into this job beacause i love caring for the children and that should be the main priority. Sorry but once i get started i just feel the need for a mini rant!!! :( I feel really sorry for the ones who are giving up because of the extra work , but it does take over .

jibberjitz
21-01-2009, 01:33 PM
A friend of mine is considering giving up as its the paperwork side of things thats now putting her off - its a shame:(

Liz

mandy moo
21-01-2009, 02:21 PM

Im with you Kindred, my kids are 10 &7 so still quite young, and as Sue said i gave up work when pregnant with no 1 son and didnt go back, I not that old (43 this yr) and think I would find all that very hard. Let alone having to find a job in todays economic climate.
Ive only been minding a while and still really wasnt aware of all the paper work that needs doing tho!
As you say **** the rest, the kids I mind, dont want to go home at the end of the day, the parents say they are, and the kids are happy with wot I do here so stuff em..

misst104
21-01-2009, 02:27 PM
Surely the best way to assertain whether is cm is doing a good job is to look at children and parents.... Both Happy=:goodjob: . Better scale to judge on than paperwork, paperwork, paperwork :( Whilst I realise its important that there are standards to work towards I do feel its sad that all the aforementioned paperwork is putting so many people off ( many of whom I am sure were or are very Good childcare providers ). Its the 'P' word thats making me anxious and I'm not even registered yet :panic:

Jo x x x

Angela234
21-01-2009, 03:11 PM
I love my job or did before EYFS but i never get any time to myself I'm 52 and work 54 hours a week i want time off at the week end but time i do housework/gardening ect planning learning journeys there isn't a lot of time left, and i do wonder why i'm i doing it sometimes i have put so much into my job.
I started minding to look after my grandchildren i only have 1 now mornings then 4 in holidays (luckly most of my mindee's are teachers children leaving the spaces)

Hopefully i'll think more positive next year once EYFS is well into practice

Angela

Chatterbox Childcare
21-01-2009, 03:17 PM
I think that in a lot of cases people think that childminding is easy and when they actually try it they find out it is not.

Some are going because of the EYFS though.

Lottie
21-01-2009, 04:10 PM
I think that in a lot of cases people think that childminding is easy and when they actually try it they find out it is not.

I was going to say the same thing. Childminding in theory sounds relatively easy but actually it's hard work, the hardest work I have ever done, the responsibility and commitment you have to give the children for example. The parents you have to deal with...and then on top of that EYFS.
I am sure the majority of people who are outside of this profession just don't have a clue about the undertaking and think that we sit around drinking tea and gossiping all day long. :rolleyes:

I think it takes a certain type of person to do the job we do. I don't think just anyone could do it.

kindredspirits
21-01-2009, 04:44 PM
i totally agree, forget the paperwork - childminding itself is a hard job. having to balance the needs of at sometimes 3 young children, plus then entertaining the older ones, its a job that requires patience, multi-tasking, and a whole lot of other interesting words that my brain won't make right now, and of course giving a child a loving environment is vital if we want them to grow into decent people.

Rubybubbles
21-01-2009, 04:54 PM

Some are going because of the EYFS though.

Yep I know of three people that got reg started then gave up because shock horror they had to do some work:laughing:

Jules27
21-01-2009, 05:03 PM
Like what has been said, a lot of people do not realise what hard work it is. My best friend called me a glorified babysitter.... until I showed her all the paperwork involved!! She appoligised greatly!!!!!!:laughing:

Heaven Scent
21-01-2009, 05:11 PM
None near me giving up just parents giving up due to job losses - things getting worse and worse all the time - every time I speak to someone they say parents are giving notice due to lack of work.

Only 2 in the town seem to be busy at the moment and one is the only one at her end of town and the other has just set up and I don't know for sure but I believe that she is not exactly working to the regulations and she only set up before Christmas and is already talking about putting up her already extortionate rate by another £1.00 per hour. She doesn't have many scruples. Gossip has also reached me about the horrible names she has been calling the 2 lovely girls who left me to go to her. Its really quite upsetting to hear it.

gegele
21-01-2009, 05:39 PM
i'm in the process of registering, it took me ages because of ill information, wrong advice and because i passed icp before eyfs but didn't properly start registering until after as i was moving borough and having a baby...!!! nobody knew what to do when who does what...ect a nightmare. as a result i have to found an evening and week end job soon as my maternity leave finishes in a few week and certificate is no where near. so it's all costing me a fortune (1st this week end 95quids!!!) that i haven't got, i'm not going to see hubby or have family live until i manage to mind...... time are sad!

LisaH
21-01-2009, 06:27 PM

I feel just the same. I refuse to let all this paperwork take over my home life!! I do my best and my parents and mindees are happy so stuff Ofsted!!:laughing:

Dragonfly
21-01-2009, 07:47 PM
I havent met one new childminder around my area for so long now.
One Of my mindees mums went on a c hildminders registration course whilst on maternity leave thinking about becoming a childminder. Decided she couldnt cope with all the paperwork rules and regs::panic: children coming back to me:laughing:
And my phone hasnt stopped ring asking for childcare this week, we are all chocca the childminders in my village (4 of us)::)

Schnakes
21-01-2009, 11:29 PM

I'll agree with that. But I would also say that some of the "old school" in my area are absolutely awful too, and Im suprised that this whole EYFS thing hasnt weeded them out yet. Some of the things Ive seen done or said to children (and other childminders!!) by these childminders make me feel physically sick tbh.

Sorry. Nearly went off on a proper rant there!

A lot of people have quit round here too - basically they are saying for the paperwork involved its not worth the hard work - particularly since the enquiries are pretty thin on the ground atm. The money isnt great unless you are burning yourself to the ground (like me! And Im STILL ****** skint - how did that happen?!), you have to deal with some horrible parents, germy kids (who you love to pieces UNTIL!! They pass on their cold, lol!! :p ), grovel and squirm to get paid etc...hah! I sound like Im the one giving up!!

I havent met a new minder for ages actually, now you mention it. Im glad though. There was a point when the area was totally over-saturated and then people wonder why they arent getting any kids.

Sx

Mollymop
22-01-2009, 07:18 AM
There have been quite a few that have given up in my and SueM's area lately. It was all around the September when the EYFS came into force, some of them didn't even give it ago before giving up - the whole idea must have scared them enough to stop working in a job for which lots of them had been doing for many years.
There are over 20 childminders in our town, but there is still a need.
I advertised a vacancy the last week and I have had 2 enquiries already - nearly everyone is full. x

sue m
22-01-2009, 09:02 AM
Oh brilliant Mollymop, I'm really glad to hear that! Let me know what happens, mail me.

MrsT333
22-01-2009, 09:14 AM
So really we all need more support to do our paper work and eyfs,
I heard horror story in playground yesturday, someone is giving up the early years registers and just looking after older schoolies for "love":panic: . That way she doesnt have to do eyfs, but is saying she wont be paid for older ones. How scary is that

RedDragon
22-01-2009, 09:42 AM
[I]
I would also say that some of the "old school" in my area are absolutely awful too, and Im suprised that this whole EYFS thing hasnt weeded them out yet. Some of the things Ive seen done or said to children (and other childminders!!) by these childminders make me feel physically sick tbh.

Sx

I got to a charity shop bargain before another childminder the other day - she said to her mindees "Shall we follow her and rob her on the way out so you can have the toy" :eek: She actually said it more than once - may have been 3 times. She thought if she said it enough I would give it to her. I was very shocked.

Mollymop
22-01-2009, 10:03 AM
Oh brilliant Mollymop, I'm really glad to hear that! Let me know what happens, mail me.

Ha! One is Alix! - she found out on the gov website that I have vacancies, i told her that I will do it as long as I get my minimum hours. But I am nto holding the vacancy for her, cousin or not.

The other was to pick up from school and take the children to their house - but the wrong end of town.

sue m
22-01-2009, 10:14 AM
Ah, wondered if Alix would be back asking you lol. Shame about the other one.

Have to tell you, David is sitting watching CBeebies with 2 dolls on his lap and the kids are playing!!! Strange man. P wouldn't leave him alone yesterday, she only wanted him and she fell asleep on his knee, it was really cute. Even when he's working on his computer she's there looking up at him and he's got dolls she's given him all over his desk!!!! :laughing:

Schnakes
22-01-2009, 01:37 PM
Red Dragon - thats bad, isnt it!! I could do a whole thread alone on some of the stuff Ive seen and heard. What really shocks me though is that these childminders have all been marked as "good" etc. Obviously putting on an act round Ofsted.

Re: support - our EYWT go out of their way to tell us its easy, theres nothing to it, relax etc. In fact, everybody on the course last night got given the NCMA Active Learning book for free, which was quite nice cos I lent mine out and never got it back!! Anyway. I think our guys are quite supportive, but at the same time I fear they are lulling us into a false sense of security because Ofsted are still finding their way atm too.

Sx

Mollymop
22-01-2009, 01:49 PM
Ah, wondered if Alix would be back asking you lol. Shame about the other one.

Have to tell you, David is sitting watching CBeebies with 2 dolls on his lap and the kids are playing!!! Strange man. P wouldn't leave him alone yesterday, she only wanted him and she fell asleep on his knee, it was really cute. Even when he's working on his computer she's there looking up at him and he's got dolls she's given him all over his desk!!!! :laughing:

Aww that is lovely! P is so lovely as well, that is why he has all the dolls on his lap cos she can't tell her to go play somewhere else. You are so lucky to have someone who loves spending time with mindees. My Darren comes in and speaks to the mindees, etc,though he never ignores them when they approach him but he would rather they left him alone, you can just tell! ha

sue m
22-01-2009, 02:10 PM
she's not left David alone for two days now lol but now he's got a parcel, mother boards for computers he's building so he's escaped to his shed!!!:D

Toilet training L as he's 3 years old now! Having yet another go! He's done really well today, only one dribble in his pants. When he goes to the loo he only does a thimbleful, I think sometimes I give him a sticker when he probably hasn't even done one, I can never tell!

Hope the sun stays out like this for the school run. x

Pudding Girl
22-01-2009, 05:53 PM

VERY good point ;)

I know we don't have EYFS up here (YET!!:eek: ) but ( and i mean this int he best way possible) maybe the EYFS will weed out those who are in Childminding for the wrong reasons and aren't the most professional of people.

Clever Clogs
23-01-2009, 10:40 PM
Hiya

I would just like to reiterate previous comments (don't know how to paste them) about people thinking childminding is easy, glorified babysitters etc . . .I HAVE NEVER WORKED SO HARD IN MY LIFE . . . OR BEEN AS STRESSED OUT IN A JOB . . . but .. I love being my own boss, being at home with my 19 month old (but then when I compare him to my daughter who was cared for when I worked she is sooooo much more adaptable and will stay with others, my son won't!!), being able to plan what we do, sharing milestones and success stories with parents etc etc etc.
Before my son, I worked in a finance office for 18 hours per week while dd was looked after by my mum, mother in law. Since having my son and taking maternity leave I now work 48 - 50 hours per week . . he doesn't sleep well, so am up during the night, can't clean up until he does to bed (7.30pm) then by time goes to bed and clean up I settle down at 9.00pm. . .then there is paperwork, planning, doing diaries, finances, college work, etc etc etc. . .
I''ve not even being doing this a year but can see why some people might be giving it up - the paperwork takes over!

Maybe I am disillusioned - I worked full time until my dd was born, then I worked part time for 6 years so had Thurs and Fri to myself. Had ds and after 10 months went to full time work - or over!!

Sorry feel as though I have taken over this thread!!!
Tracey

gemhei
23-01-2009, 10:44 PM
I know a lot giving up because they finding it hard to find work just like i am at the moment. I live in bradford and apparently its hitting the city hard due to the amount of nurseries we have squeezed in here plus the credit crunch on top. I dont understand why they are even bothering to train new childminders to be honest. I dont find the EYFS too bad now im in the swing, it doesnt put me off but the lack of money does :(

Winnie
23-01-2009, 10:51 PM
I know of a couple who gave up because of the paperwork- and they were good childminders.
I nearly stopped last year, not because of the EYFS but because there are so few enquiries around...its still quiet :(

HomefromHome
23-01-2009, 10:58 PM

abso-*******lutely! nuff said! might not be good pay but least i doin somat..:) (no way could i go back to doing what i was pre-being-a-mummy):)

Schnakes
23-01-2009, 11:47 PM
I dont understand why they are even bothering to train new childminders to be honest.

I think they have to.

abso-*******lutely! nuff said! might not be good pay but least i doin somat.. (no way could i go back to doing what i was pre-being-a-mummy)
I dont really know you, so this comment is probably going to really offend you (and a lot of other people!!)...but I kind of think that people who mind cos they want to stay at home with their kids really need to re-think what they are doing and why they are doing it. I think the EYFS for childminders was designed to weed out people who just want to be paid to stay home with baby.

I have no idea who you are or why you are minding, so if your reasons are genuine...good on ya! :) :clapping:

Sx

FizzysFriends
24-01-2009, 10:30 AM
I wish some would give up around here

Mickey Mouse Clubhouse
24-01-2009, 10:40 AM
There is alot around by us thinking of giving up because of all the paperwork etc to be honest I have not even got my head around it all yet and don't know if I ever will.

Mummits
26-01-2009, 07:45 AM
It's still quite busy around here - in term time at least, though there are a lot of holiday clubs offering day places quite cheaply, so everyone is saying that holiday work has dried up.

Anyway, I do know a couple of local CMs giving up on the younger children because of EYFS and all the paperwork and just having before and after school children. One said to me why would I want to be up till midnight doing paperwork when I can have a houseful from 3 till 5 then have the whole evening off? I think that's a good point - it's certainly put me off taking on any children for just a couple of hours a week as the overheads are too large.

...and I don't think it is wrong to choose to work as a childminder in order to be there for your own kids. I think it's whether you do a good job that counts, so I would hope Ofsted would be "weeding out" those who do a bad job, even if they do it for the "right" reasons.

MrsT333
26-01-2009, 08:12 AM
Hiya

I would just like to reiterate previous comments (don't know how to paste them) about people thinking childminding is easy, glorified babysitters etc . . .I HAVE NEVER WORKED SO HARD IN MY LIFE . . . OR BEEN AS STRESSED OUT IN A JOB . . . but .. I love being my own boss, being at home with my 19 month old (but then when I compare him to my daughter who was cared for when I worked she is sooooo much more adaptable and will stay with others, my son won't!!), being able to plan what we do, sharing milestones and success stories with parents etc etc etc.
Before my son, I worked in a finance office for 18 hours per week while dd was looked after by my mum, mother in law. Since having my son and taking maternity leave I now work 48 - 50 hours per week . . he doesn't sleep well, so am up during the night, can't clean up until he does to bed (7.30pm) then by time goes to bed and clean up I settle down at 9.00pm. . .then there is paperwork, planning, doing diaries, finances, college work, etc etc etc. . .
I''ve not even being doing this a year but can see why some people might be giving it up - the paperwork takes over!

Maybe I am disillusioned - I worked full time until my dd was born, then I worked part time for 6 years so had Thurs and Fri to myself. Had ds and after 10 months went to full time work - or over!!

Sorry feel as though I have taken over this thread!!!
Tracey

I agree, I havent worked so hard in my life...but i do enjoy it. I'm doing my nvq 3 as well so I dont have a social life and when I do have the chance of a night off I dont want to do anything or goout as im so tired. My ds is still waking up in the night and I have a 10mth dd who is every where! So why arent we as skinny as rakes....lol:laughing:

A friend of mine is giving up as she feel so unappreciated, she never even had a xmas card off any of her parents....something going wrong there I think