PDA

View Full Version : Advice re:registering hubby

jeanybeany
20-01-2009, 09:24 PM
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice. I have been discussing with my husband registering him so that we could work together in the future. I am unsure which would be the best route either to get him to become a childminder in his own right or an assistant. It would help if he could take sole care of the children at times and obviously to make it worthwhile we would need to have numbers increased. I have no idea how this works and cannot find any info anywhere! Can or will Ofsted give you some ideas about numbers etc beforehand, so you can apply witha realistic view of it all working out and still being able to pay the mortgage at the end of the month (LOL).

I know there is the need in my area I am turning people away every week at mo! Hope it is the case when I have got a space!!! Not really advertising as well all word of mouth.

Hubby is really interested and says he'd even go to do his nvq if we could make it work.

Thanks for any help:)

keith
20-01-2009, 09:37 PM
get him registerd in his own right thats what i done and my partner and i now have 6 u/5,s and school age to fill in the gaps it is mad but lots of fun

sarah707
20-01-2009, 09:56 PM
There are a lot of concerns at the moment about what assistants are not allowed to do.

Pauline has investigated in this post -

http://www.childmindinghelp.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=20933

I work with my partner and he registered in his own right. It's great as we can really be a team :D

Chatterbox Childcare
20-01-2009, 09:57 PM
If hubby is willing to do the registration and courses I would say go ahead and register in his own right.

cheeky monkeys
21-01-2009, 12:13 AM
The quickest way to get Hubby off and started is to register him as an assistant. You may leave under 5's with Hubby, with parents written permission, but not over 5's. Then you would need Ofsted to come and look at the house to see if you could increase your numbers to having 6 under 5's.

If you went through the route of getting Hubby registered, he would have to go to a Pre-reg meeting, 12 hours of DHC unit 1, MCQ, 12 hours First aid, 2 hours Safe guarding children, 2 hours EYFS briefing, before Ofsted would visit him for an inital inspection, then you would have to wait for Doctors report and social services report, I am assuming he has CRB check in place.

Going through the assistant route, Doctors and Social services checks would be done, Ofsted re-visit done ... say 6 weeks??? and he could work with you.

If all good and well, He could then go through registration and still work.

Hope this helps.

jeanybeany
21-01-2009, 01:55 PM
Thanks for all your advice so far:)

Pauline
21-01-2009, 05:10 PM
My advice, if he is happy to do all the training, is to get him registered in his own right. It will cost more as you will both have to pay the annual fee but with things how they are at the moment no one seems to know exactly what is being done with NEW registrations of assistants and whether they will all need level 2 training in the future.

At the moment Ofsted are saying that any currently registered assistants should carry on as before, regarding sole care, until they sort out the problem that has come to light with the discrepancy between the two registers.

As regards working together, if you get on well then it is a wonderful job to do together. Our only regret is that we didn't do it sooner. It's hard work but well worth it.

cheeky monkeys
21-01-2009, 10:12 PM
I am sorry Pauline, but I disagree with your advice. I know that you are the boss of this forum, and as an new member I am being monitored. But in your registration and the fact that I am a new member I can not edit my profile... And let you know my credentials.

I do not expect this post to be listed, so I shall put a separate post to this in my response.

Maybe you should review your registration process to your forum??

cheeky monkeys
21-01-2009, 10:32 PM
Hi Jellybean

I have to disagree with Pauline,

It actually costs a lot of money to put someone through the registration process, so if Hubby is not sure he will be denying another prospective childminder the opportunity of registering. In some areas extra courses are having to be put on, in others cancelled due to lack of demand.

As I said in my previous post the best way of progressing in the matter of working with your husband is to register him as an assistant. This entails minimal amount of wasting time and money if it really is for him.

The only advantage you have as having him working with you as a registered childminder is half the paperwork, as he will have to do the other half, and freedom to do as you please with your half of the children.

But bare this in mind. If you want to go to a group, farm what ever with your half of the children and he doesn't and all the children want to do that activity?? who do you choose?? As an assistant all do or all don't.

Personally in the past I have worked with employed registered childminders, assistants and have registered my partner as an assistant. I was recently Ofsteded and no mention of my assistants having to undergo futher training was mentioned. However if this vocation is what your hubby wishes to do He will welcome any training that is going

Pauline
22-01-2009, 07:20 AM
I am sorry Pauline, but I disagree with your advice. I know that you are the boss of this forum, and as an new member I am being monitored. But in your registration and the fact that I am a new member I can not edit my profile... And let you know my credentials.

I do not expect this post to be listed, so I shall put a separate post to this in my response.

I am offended that you suggest that I would deny a post simply because I do not agree with what you say. That is NOT how I run my forum.

angeldelight
22-01-2009, 07:34 AM
Hi Jellybean

It actually costs a lot of money to put someone through the registration process, so if Hubby is not sure he will be denying another prospective childminder the opportunity of registering. In some areas extra courses are having to be put on, in others cancelled due to lack of demand.

As I said in my previous post the best way of progressing in the matter of working with your husband is to register him as an assistant. This entails minimal amount of wasting time and money if it really is for him.

The only advantage you have as having him working with you as a registered childminder is half the paperwork, as he will have to do the other half, and freedom to do as you please with your half of the children.

But bare this in mind. If you want to go to a group, farm what ever with your half of the children and he doesn't and all the children want to do that activity?? who do you choose?? As an assistant all do or all don't.

Personally in the past I have worked with employed registered childminders, assistants and have registered my partner as an assistant. I was recently Ofsteded and no mention of my assistants having to undergo futher training was mentioned. However if this vocation is what your hubby wishes to do He will welcome any training that is going

I have to disagree here

It does not cost THAT much to put someone through registration - my daughter did it !!!

This is a very easy going forum and everyone is allowed to give their views even if we do not agree with them

Maybe you should get to know Pauline and everyone a little before you pass Judgement ?

Angel xx

Chatterbox Childcare
22-01-2009, 08:21 AM
Hi Jellybean

I think that you need to realise that we all have our opinions and we do not judge each other on them.

Cheeky Monkey has the right to say that she thinks that an assistant is the best way forward (presuming that the CRB is in place you do not mention the paediatric first aid certificate that hubby needs before being allowed to be left with under 5's), aswell as assuming that the minder doesn't want the assistant for children outside the EYFS?. Pauline has the right to say a childminder in his own right.

It doesn't matter whether we agree or not, everyone can ask and answer as they feel fit and this is not a site to bicker with each other but to support each other.

I have only been here since August and I have found Pauline to be both polite and helpful.

I think a bit of respect is in order for someone who set up this forum for the benefit of all and puts a lot of her own time and effort in to it.

kindredspirits
22-01-2009, 09:06 AM
in the spirit of freedom of speech - something that is definately promoted on Pauline's lovely forum...... :D
What gives you the right to pass any sort of judgement on whether or not this lady's husband has any more or less right to register as a childminder as any other tom, dick or harry. when i registered i wasn't 100% sure it was for me, you never can be, and i don't feel in the slightest bit guilty that i might have taken someone elses place, they should have booked first.

that might sound harsh, but to be frank no more harsh than your post to a woman who was asking an innocent question. and to give my 2p to the original question - if your hubby registers as an assistant then he will only be able to care solely for under 5's, so perhaps if you want him to be able to do school run etc, he ought to register in his own right.

lots of love anna xxx

Pauline
22-01-2009, 10:20 AM

Just to clear up a few of your comments:

Why should the registration process be revised?

You only need to do 4 posts to be able to access your profile - surely if you plan to be a regular member then that is not a problem?

New members are only monitored and prevented from accessing their profile to prevent spammers from posting their disgusting links or adverts and for no other reason, it is explained in the Members Information section. If you saw some of the things myself and the moderators have to delete you would understand! They are disgusting and we wouldn't want them viewed by anyone.

Yes I am 'the boss', a name given by some of the girls some time ago as a joke and it stuck but that doesn't mean I prevent anyone disagreeing with me or my advice just because it is my forum. It is here for all to share, have an opinion and give advice.

RainbowMum
22-01-2009, 10:32 AM
as an new member I am being monitored. But in your registration and the fact that I am a new member I can not edit my profile... And let you know my credentials.

Cheeky Monkeys i am sure you are more than welcome to state your 'credentials' in an open post if you feel this will give more insight to your opinion, however I personally am of the opinion that each and every person on this forum is perfectly entitled to their own views and I take on board that advice which I feel is useful to me and disregard that which is not.

It is always helpful to have different views on a subject when we are unsure what we want but there is no need to take such a negative approach.

The way this forum is moderated has eveolved greatly over the last 12 months or so, in response to both members wishes and various happenings - such as new members joining to gain access to all the resources which then appear on e-bay and the members are never heard of again.

I do hope that you come to realise that this forum is very open and friendly and I have only ever known a post to be removed because it was abusive or nasty - Never has a difference of opinion been a problem!

Stay & chat - tell us your credentials I am curious now!

Blaze
22-01-2009, 02:48 PM

Cheeky monkeys...I found your post quite rude tbh...we are a friendly forum where difference of opinion is respected....Pauline is not in the habit of not showing or deleting posts/threads because they disagree with her personal opinion. (I myself have disagreed with her on a number of occassions, wouldn't it be boring if we all thought the same thing)! Pauline is known as D' Boss as a term of affection, nothing more. You are only being monitored for the protection of all ...to ensure you are not a spammer as an example. You only need to make a few posts in relevant areas for this to stop. As far as your credentials, there is nothing to stop you posting them...I look forward to seeing what they are.

As to the original post...well excellent advice has already been given & I actually wouldn't have replied to this thread if it were not for certain comments ...I would suggest that an apology to Pauline is order & a fresh start made.:)

Monkey1
22-01-2009, 06:11 PM
Cheeky monkeys...I found your post quite rude tbh...we are a friendly forum where difference of opinion is respected....Pauline is not in the habit of not showing or deleting posts/threads because they disagree with her personal opinion. (I myself have disagreed with her on a number of occassions, wouldn't it be boring if we all thought the same thing)! Pauline is known as D' Boss as a term of affection, nothing more. You are only being monitored for the protection of all ...to ensure you are not a spammer as an example. You only need to make a few posts in relevant areas for this to stop. As far as your credentials, there is nothing to stop you posting them...I look forward to seeing what they are.

As to the original post...well excellent advice has already been given & I actually wouldn't have replied to this thread if it were not for certain comments ...I would suggest that an apology to Pauline is order & a fresh start made.:)

Totally agree with you Blaze!

flora
22-01-2009, 08:42 PM

ditto.... :(

jeanybeany
22-01-2009, 09:46 PM
Well, ermmmmm! First and foremost thankyou everyone for your opinions and advice.

However, I would just like to say to Cheeky Monkey, you are welcome to express your opinion freedom of speech and all that but I do not appreciate the negative attitude you have portrayed in this thread. I have asked a simple enough question intended for the childminders out there that have experience of this like yourself. I cannot understand why you go on about wasting time and money etc, etc, when no where did I say hubby was unsure about childminding after all it was him that approached me about it. He is fantastic with all the minded children and they adore him. We are not the type of family to do something with only half an interest and I am sure my hubby would make the most of any opportunity on offer to him. He has just as much right to access training and support as anybody else. I am sorry if you do not see it like that. The reason for my question was to make sure that we choose the right route for us, if we choose to pursue it further.

And finally Cheeky Monkey if you are going to be so abrupt you could atleast start off with getting my name right. Doesn't usually bother me but I feel you have taken away the issue of the thread!

I hope you were just having an off day and come back a much friendlier person.

Thank you Pauline and everyone else for really helping me since I joined this forum. I have not read a thread like this before and for a moment regretted asking the question, but only for a moment......

Jeanybeany x

cheeky monkeys
22-01-2009, 11:21 PM
Apologies to everyone.
I joined this forum at the request of a friend, due to the many hats I wear, She thought I could help
Reading through Paulines introduction of herself, I felt that this would be a very informative forum.
However reading through some of the posts on this forum, I feel frustrated that the access to some of the basic information on childminding is not as readily available in other areas of the country as it is in mine and I don't feel that it is uniform throughout the country.
I expressed an opinion through experience. That is as an employer, Tutor to DHC and Support Childminder.
I made a comment on expenses. Sorry, that is not to the individual, but to who ever runs the course, tutor time and SCM time.
It's not a question of How good your Husband is with the children etc, But really (and I didn't want to say this, as I don't know you Jeanybeany ) I have seen a few Husband and Wife teams fail, due to being together 24/7.

Apologies once again. A very tired and over worked Cheeky Monkey

Pauline
23-01-2009, 07:58 AM
I feel frustrated that the access to some of the basic information on childminding is not as readily available in other areas of the country as it is in mine and I don't feel that it is uniform throughout the country.

Apologies once again. A very tired and over worked Cheeky Monkey

I totally agree, that is the main reason I set up the forum. I used to get lots of contact via my website asking for help or advice and it made me realise that not everyone has access to help and advice locally.

Your input is more than welcome here Cheekymonkeys, we need to help get the information out there as much as possible. We all understand that sometimes there are bad days when we are tired and things don't come across as we intended. :)

jeanybeany
23-01-2009, 09:16 AM
[QUOTE=cheeky monkeys;315239]Apologies to everyone.
I joined this forum at the request of a friend, due to the many hats I wear, She thought I could help
Reading through Paulines introduction of herself, I felt that this would be a very informative forum.
However reading through some of the posts on this forum, I feel frustrated that the access to some of the basic information on childminding is not as readily available in other areas of the country as it is in mine and I don't feel that it is uniform throughout the country.
I expressed an opinion through experience. That is as an employer, Tutor to DHC and Support Childminder.
I made a comment on expenses. Sorry, that is not to the individual, but to who ever runs the course, tutor time and SCM time.
It's not a question of How good your Husband is with the children etc, But really (and I didn't want to say this, as I don't know you Jeanybeany ) I have seen a few Husband and Wife teams fail, due to being together 24/7.

Apologies once again. A very tired and over worked Cheeky Monkey[/QUOT

Thanks for the apology, it is appreciated Cheeky Monkey

and now

Welcome to the forum.

Jeanybeany

Blaze
23-01-2009, 09:22 AM
As above...welcome:)