PDA

View Full Version : obs for a 4 month old??

kindredspirits
20-01-2009, 01:28 PM
i'm at a loss..... what observations can i do on a baby so small he eats, pukes and sucks a cuddly banana???? :idea: i know as he starts to sit/roll over etc i will have something to write - but is this just a case of waiting until then?????? told mum i had to do obs on him and her response is all he needs is someone to change his bum and press the lights on his phone! :D

michellethegooner
20-01-2009, 01:49 PM
you can observe things like,

You could note his reponses to things like ....(below)
PSED
does he like to touch your face, e.g mouth eyes etc (self confidence & self esteem)
if he gets upset can you soothe him (behaviour & self control)
Does he cry when he is hungry (self care)
Does he enjoy u playing & talking to him (making relationships)

CLD
does he enjoy/recognise familiar sounds/songs (reading)
does he make sounds with his voice (language for communication)

PSRN
Does he respond to people & objects? (numbers as labels for counting)

KUW
does he explore objects with hand & mouth (designing & making)
use movement & senses to focus on, reach for objects (exploration & investigation)
CLL
does he move arms and legs and try to use them to reach/grasp/manipulate things (language for thinking)

Hope these give u some ideas

sarah707
20-01-2009, 06:16 PM
Great ideas from Michelle there!

Don't worry if not much happens this week... by next you'll probably have the camera out every second minute.

Sometimes development seems to stall a bit, then goes really quickly :D

kindredspirits
20-01-2009, 08:22 PM
thank you michelle, all of a sudden i seem to have a whole new window of paperwork opening up.... and here's me thinking the baby would be the easy work! lol
seriously, thats a huge help, thank you
anna x

michellethegooner
21-01-2009, 01:58 PM
I had a 4mth old (he is now almost 9 mths) and like sarah says it does stall from week to week, this week he is doing what he is doing last week so no changes. But next week he may do something new and it will open a new window of observations.

I thought it would be really difficult observing and planning but after having a look at next steps etc (one of sarah brill ebooks) it made more sense and I am actually finding it easy to write up his obs etc. even did a summative assessement last night :eek: so mum can get a better idea of where he is re: stages of learning.

sarah707
21-01-2009, 02:15 PM
I even did a summative assessement last night :eek: so mum can get a better idea of where he is re: stages of learning.

Wow! that's great! :clapping:

the more we tell parents the more they will hopefully start to understand and want to support us.

I think summative assessments are a great way to really impress them with what their child can do and how we are brill for noticing! :D