PDA

View Full Version : Parental responsibilty..

Jelly Baby
19-01-2009, 10:32 PM
Is this a requirement for the inspection? can i add it onto my contracts or does it need to be on a seperate sheet?
Thanks

jeanybeany
19-01-2009, 10:40 PM
My friend had this as a recommendation when she had her ofsted inspection so best to get it in place I think. All I did was do a seperate sheet explaining why I needed the information and asking them to fill it in. I also got some info off the web about parental responsibility to help them (and me). Sorry can't remember exactly where from.

Hope this is some help

Jeany:) :)

sarah707
20-01-2009, 07:32 AM
Like Jeany says, it is a statutory requirement to have this information.

You could get a sheet from current parents filled in then add it to your paperwork for new starters.

Hth :D

miffy
20-01-2009, 07:56 AM
I've added it to my Child Information forms as I've updated them

Miffy xx

misst104
20-01-2009, 08:48 AM
Sorry to be dim but in what respect do you mean 'parental responsibility'?

Do you mean we have to have info on who has got parental responsibilty for the individual child? ie . mum and dad, just mum, just dad, legal guardian etc ????

Thanks

Jo x x x

sarah707
20-01-2009, 09:14 AM
It is a safeguarding requirement -

http://www.standards.dfes.gov.uk/eyfs/site/requirements/welfare/safeguarding/index.htm

Providers must obtain necessary information from parents in advance of a child being admitted to the provision, including:

emergency contact numbers;
the child's special dietary requirements, preferences or food allergies the child may have;
the child's special health requirements;
information about who has legal contact with the child; and who has parental responsibility for the child.

Hth :D

Jelly Baby
20-01-2009, 11:56 AM
Thanks for that, so does it go on the contract or the info sheet? what do you write mum, or their name?

jibberjitz
20-01-2009, 12:17 PM
You could write parent and leave a space for their name maybe. Every time I pop in here there seems to be something that I find I need to do myself:eek:

Liz

Jelly Baby
20-01-2009, 12:27 PM
Thanks where to add though? when did it come into effect so i can backdate it please?

Cammie Doodle
20-01-2009, 12:31 PM
For any of you who use NCMA contracts, they are in the process of including this info on the contracts, but Im not sure when they will be ready to purchase. In the meantime we have made up a form and attached to existing contracts .

sarah707
20-01-2009, 06:13 PM
Thanks where to add though? when did it come into effect so i can backdate it please?

The eyfs came into effect on 1st Sept 2008.

It is a statutory requirement (the law) to get this information from this date :D

Stix
01-02-2009, 09:34 AM
Ugh. I feel realy uncomfortable asking for this information. It's not really any of my business. Also, a lot of people don't know what "parental responsibility" actually means in the legal sense.

I honestly don't see the relevance of the information. Also, I've never had to give this information to either our local nursery or preschool, yet they are outstanding.

It just really doesn't sit right with me.

FizzysFriends
01-02-2009, 09:44 AM
I honestly don't see the relevance of the information. Also, I've never had to give this information to either our local nursery or preschool, yet they are outstanding.

It just really doesn't sit right with me.

It has massive relevance for anyone in a custody battle!!

rickysmiths
01-02-2009, 09:56 AM
I saw in another thread about this last night. Since 2003 when a birth is registered it is written on the birth cert who has parental responsibility. (someone out there? mine are too old!) Usually the parents named on the cert. It has something to do with dads not paying support and now if a mum wants to claim from a dad his name has to be on the birth cert. If this is right all parents of children reg after 2003 should know. The ones before???????/

However this has no relationship to who has contact or visitation if parents have split. Considering that in the past I have had a father try to take 2 children from me in the street on the way homre from school, I would have thought making sure we have the correct info in this instance was more important.

Having read the thread last night I cannot see why we have to have this information? But we must record it until we have been told otherwise.

Now the accounts are done I think I might contact CSF and OFSTED and see if anyone can give a definative answer. Don't hold your breath folks, it may take a while!!! I'll keep you posted!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:laughing: :laughing:

Rang NCMA on Friday and was told the contracts were in, someone else rang and told not!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:( :( :( I am going to ring again on Mon.

tracey36
02-02-2009, 07:43 PM
When my network co - ordinator came round she told me about this and the implications if you do not have it could include a father with no parental responsibility signing a medication book, as he has no parental responsibility the form would be void and could cause all sorts of trouble. i made up the following form and gave it out with my monthly newsletter which briefly explained why i needed it .

Who has parental responsibility?
In England and Wales, if the parents of a child are married to each other at the time of the birth, or if they have jointly adopted a child, then they both have parental responsibility. This is not automatically the case for unmarried parents.
According to current law, a mother always has parental responsibility for her child. A father, however, has this responsibility only if he is married to the mother when the child is born or has acquired legal responsibility for his child through one of these three routes:
• (after 1 December 2003) by jointly registering the birth of the child with the mother
• by a parental responsibility agreement with the mother
• by a parental responsibility order, made by a court
Living with the mother, even for a long time, does not give a father parental responsibility and if the parents are not married, parental responsibility does not always pass to the natural father if the mother dies.
All parents (including adoptive parents) have a legal duty to financially support their child, whether they have parental responsibility or not.

Parental responsibility of………………………………………. Is as follows

Print name………………………………………⠀¦â€¦â€¦â€¦â€¦â€¦â€¦â€¦â€¦â€¦..

Signature……………………………… Date……………………

Print name………………………………………⠀¦â€¦â€¦â€¦â€¦â€¦â€¦â€¦â€¦â€¦â€¦

Signature…………………………………Da te…………………..

Ebs71
02-02-2009, 09:41 PM
It has massive relevance for anyone in a custody battle!!

Certainly have to agree with you there Fizzy, it makes a huge difference

Bananabrain
02-02-2009, 09:47 PM
This is my current bugbear,so much so that I phoned our friends at ofsted today.Guess what? I'm none the wiser:laughing: Apparently,eventually it is going to be across the board,nurseries,schools etc,but again they were really wishy-washy.Lady I spoke to did not know that the law has changed in 2003.

She directed me to the children's act of '89,section 3.It lists 5 points and I've just printed it out to give to parents.But I still don't really understand and know that it's going to cause huge probs.

Another example of the idiots running this country not thinking it through properly,making rules without stopping to think how they are going to be implemented.

Bananabrain
02-02-2009, 09:50 PM
So 'step parents'have a legal duty to support children financially even if they haven't got parental responsibility.

WHAT'S THAT ABOUT? call me picky,but that doesn't seem fair.

buildingblocks
02-02-2009, 10:28 PM
I have given all current parents a sheet to fill inwith the info on parental responsibility and legal contact and will put it into all new children's children's information sheets.

one query where do I stand if parents have filled it in and I am aware info is not possibly correct.

I look after one child who has both paretns but also have a 9 and 11 yr old from same family. Basically one child from each parent. on info they have put they are mother and father to all three children not step mum and step dad. and nothing about the other parents.

Now in my mind Ofsted are not going to question this as both children are over 8 and chances are not a problem but where will I stand on this

hope that makes sense

happytotschildminding
03-02-2009, 03:32 PM
Tracey36 - do you mind if I use the format of yours - and add a third place for name in case of divorced parents with new parent as well iyswim?? and is this the same as legal contact or is that another form (I'm waiting for new NCMA ones because as you can see, I don't know exactly what to put!)
What would I do if I didn't have to worry about paperwork!!!
Carol

tracey36
03-02-2009, 04:31 PM
happytotschildminding of course you can use it, i took my co-ordinators advice and went onto the ofsted website and used some of the information and then put a place for signatures at the bottom, its not something iv brought from ncma just something i made up myself to cover me.

tracey x

happytotschildminding
03-02-2009, 11:09 PM
Many thanks Tracey
Carol

helenlc
04-02-2009, 01:19 PM
So am I right in thinking that if this is a Legal Requirement of the EYFS, then those children that are over EYFS age, we do not have to collect this information on them?

Or do you think it would be good practice to do so?

I have a 3 yr old and 8 yr old from same Mum but have seperate fathers so would I only need to collect information on the younger child? The father of the 8 yr old has recently appeared on the scene after no contact since birth, Mum disclosed to me the other day.

So I am thinking it would be good practice to have the info on all children, although could only enforce it's given on EYFS children due to no legal requirement on older children?

Just when I think I am getting straight with paper work..............!!! Lol

FizzysFriends
04-02-2009, 01:27 PM
I am personally getting it on all children as it affects them all the same.

mjw
04-02-2009, 09:16 PM
Please can you just clarify the terms again
What is parental responsibility?
What is legal contact?

If I am asking parents to sign a form I really want to be sure that I understand what I am asking from them
Thanks
Mary

Heaven Scent
04-02-2009, 09:35 PM
I imagine this is parent not on birth cert and step parents - could it include grandparents who child lives with and lesbian & gay partners etc. - Gosh its becomming a bloomin' minefield.

So if a mother who is living with the father of the child but his name is not on the birth cert and he is the one who does all the dropping off and collecting has he no right to sign permissions and/or medication/accident forms etc? - Blooming hec how are we supposed to get things signed then?