PDA

View Full Version : i have a question about icp exam

johnnydepp1
19-01-2009, 11:05 AM
hello

i have my icp exam next week and i am really nervous, i just dont do well in exams, and i have been told that if you fail the exam twice that you cant be a childminder, is this true, has anyone here failed and still become a childminder, i really want this job, i have been working on my porfolio for 2 years, i have done my first aid, but i dont know if i will pass this exam

has anyone here still become a childminder even if they have failed the exam:(

aly
19-01-2009, 11:24 AM
Hiya

I think it depends on where you are etc. It has been asked on this forum and all or most of hte replies were different. somesay they only had 1 chance. others werea few.

did you ask the tutor on the icp course? i think we were giving 2 chances.

good luck:thumbsup:

singlewiththree
19-01-2009, 12:07 PM
We were told that you just carried on until you passed. To be honest I was really worried about it as well but a lot was common sense and I passed it. In our training they had only ever had 2 people who were referred to do it again, she said you cant fail it only get asked to retake it :rolleyes:

I'm sure if you are so committed you will pass. I had sick children when I took the exam and had to leave them with my children phobic BF while I took it. We were allowed to leave after 20 mins I rushed through it and finished and left so wasnt hopeful. You would really have to have been really ill and missed loads of sessions to fail it. Even if nerves get to you there is loads of time to sit through it.

good luck

misst104
19-01-2009, 12:11 PM
Hi there,

I havn't done the exam yet (have got DHC over the next 2 saturdays) so can't give any advice really but wanted to say good luck with it. Friends who have taken it have advised me to read through the answers more than once as the first instinct may not be right. God that makes it sound worse ( they have all said its common though ).

Sure you will do just fine. Let us know how you get on :)

Jo x x x

marian
19-01-2009, 12:21 PM
Just wanted to say good luck!

Marian x

LOOPYLISA
19-01-2009, 01:03 PM
Hi i failed mine, i missed lots of sessions as i went down with phumonia, i am re-sitting again in feb, i really hope i pass this time if i don.t ive no idea wat happens then.....

jibberjitz
19-01-2009, 01:19 PM
Hi,

I dont know the answer (but I'm sure somebody will be able to help:) ) Just wanted to wish you luck for your exam and let us know how it goes:thumbsup:

Liz

HelenJC
19-01-2009, 01:36 PM
Hi

I am sue you will be fine. I didn't have to do the ICP as I registered in 1994 and we just had to do a six week course with no test at the end.

I understand we need to have people with training etc, but to be honest, people can be good at passing exams and hopeless at looking after children!

Hopefully you will pass first time. I would appeal if they didn't let me take an exam again.

Good Luck

Helen

Minstrel
19-01-2009, 01:56 PM
I have just taken and passed my exam. I was like you - hated exams and was sure i would fail - but i didnt ! firstly dont knock yourself- confidence and positive thinking can work wonders!

secondly- its possible that your borough ( sorry dont know where you are) only offer two chances for free and then they you require you pay. I've never heard of anyone not being allowed another chance. Also in my area you only have to attend the course as a requirement not actually pass the exam to continue- although retakes are available and advised.

lastly good luck and remember to tell us how you got on! x

xxx

johnnydepp1
20-01-2009, 10:02 PM
thanks for all your replies :)

i will try to think positive can you all tell me if the practice questions you had on your icp exam were the same ones on your exam or similar?

Lick'le Oakes
21-01-2009, 07:35 AM
I know it depends on your area but i went on my first session of the ICP course last night and was told the exam was optional, you had two chances to pass and they have a 100% pass rate so it can't be that bad. Apparently it is a multi choice paper so hopefully common sense should help....saying that i haven't got alot of that!

Chrissy B
21-01-2009, 07:48 AM
I was told that the questions we'll see on our exam will be ones we've probably already seen on past papers.

johnnydepp1
29-01-2009, 12:50 PM
well i took my exam this morning i am not sure i passed it because it was really hard and we went over some questions on my course but the questions on my paper i had never seen before

i used the practise exam on the ncma website and was passing with that
but is there more than just one practise exam if there is could some one pm me with one or post a link to some different exam papers

thank you :)

Zoomie
30-01-2009, 01:07 AM
I did mine in Dec and found out this week that I passed.

The multiple choice questions were really difficult (and very different to all the ones we had seen and practiced against) and afterwards a group of us (dinner get together), disected the questions and we couldn't agree on answers, but the thing I do remember my tutor telling me is that you get two free tries at the test, and then you have to pay £20 per test thereafter, so you can just resit and resit ...

The trick with multiple choice is that you need to home in on the key words in the question, eliminate the totally wrong answers and then choose the most appropriate from what is left:

For Example
What equipment would encourage the physical development of an 18 month old who is scared of the dark ?
Walker .... night light .... comforter .... climbing frame

Well question is really asking about equipment for physcial development so anything that doesn't fall into this (ie night light and comforter) can be eliminated. Thus the choice is between walker and climbing frame.

Then I would think what encourage more physcial movement - the walker ( leg movement) or climbing frame (arm and leg movement).

HTHs

Debster
30-01-2009, 10:45 AM
there are other mock test papers on the cache website www.cache.org.uk
not sure if this link will work the answers are on there too.
http://www.cache.org.uk/cacheDNN/Portals/0/pdf/CCE%20L2%20ExemplarTest%20Paper.pdf
Deb.

TheBTeam
06-02-2009, 07:22 PM
My husband has just sat the DHC unit 1 which was his first exam ever and he admits to not being the brightest and he passed, so I am sure it is not too difficult.

The paperwork he received said that two attempts were free after that a charge of £20 per attempt was made and no maximum number was implied.

good luck I am sure it will be fine!