PDA

View Full Version : Pet question

Stix
18-01-2009, 08:06 PM
Those of you with dogs or cats, where do you keep their bowls? My dog gets fed at tea time so keeping his food bowl out of the way isn't a problem but what do you do with the water bowl.

It's usually in the kitchen on the floor but I can't do this now and have no idea what to do with it. My house is laid out so that the front door opens into the hall, which leads into the kitchen, which leads to the dining room, which leads to the living room. There is a baby gate between the dining room and kitchen.

There is nowhere out of sight to put the bowl and if it's out of reach of children, it's out of reach of my pooch. Do you think it being shut behind the gate is enough? I suppose I could leave it outside but I don't think this is particularly fair on him or practical.

What does everyone else do?

Trouble
18-01-2009, 08:08 PM
you say you have a baby gate between the dining and kitchen if you use the dining room to play you could put it behind it in the kitchen so accessible sometimes to dog but not for kids to play

mine is in the utility room and the cat shares the dogs so only need 1:D

Monkey1
18-01-2009, 08:09 PM
I REFUSE to remove my dogs bowl. We are expected to have fresh water for the children available at all times so why not the animals? As long as children are supervised i'm sure its ok, write a risk assesstment on it.....they will love that!

Stix
18-01-2009, 08:10 PM
The children would be in the dining or living rooms so wouldn't be able to get to the bowl. Do think that it wold be ok to leave it as is for now then just put it outside for him if we are using the kitchen?

Trouble
18-01-2009, 08:10 PM
I REFUSE to remove my dogs bowl. We are expected to have fresh water for the children available at all times so why not the animals? As long as children are supervised i'm sure its ok, write a risk assesstment on it.....they will love that!

i agree with you actually:clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

Stix
18-01-2009, 08:13 PM
Monkey - my feelings exactly. Pets should have access to constant fresh water too. I think it will stay where it is.

marion123
18-01-2009, 08:15 PM
i agree also ,i dont move my puppies bowl she need fresh water all day

FizzysFriends
18-01-2009, 08:15 PM
My dogs food bowl is removed but thats because I want to eat her food at once and not graze all day, so she wants treats when we are training.

She has a water bowl in the kitchen and one outside, there are never full because my DD has a habit of kicking it and it saves the puddles on the floor. The kids can get to both but part of the house rules not to touch the dogs stuff (and also for the dog not to touch the kids stuff) and they are supervised around the bowls.

mushpea
18-01-2009, 08:16 PM
my dogs bed and water bowl ar..e both in the dinning room and are accesible to the children, the older children i explain to them that its the dog water and they are not to play and the younger ones i keep an eye on and when they start getting too close i go to them and say 'NO' and remove them, usualy after a few times of this they don't always bother although i do have a little one at the moment who loves to put things in it and i often find toys floating!!!
i also refuse to move it because the poor dog needs his water. i have on the odd ocasion slipped up and found a littly playing with it and have cleanend them up with baby wipes and i have also had a couple of the older ones step in it but as we have laminite it cleans easily. ofsted visited last summer and had no problem with any of this whatsoever although i do think it helped that the mut just took one look at her then went back to sleep insted of jumpin all over her!!:laughing:

mushpea
18-01-2009, 08:17 PM
forgot to say that he is fed twice a day but after the feed the bowl is put in a cupboard out of reach with his food .
we also have the rule that when the dog is on his bed that he is to be left alone as this is his place and he seems to know this because when he is fedup of being stroked and played with this is where he retreats to.

childmind04
18-01-2009, 08:22 PM

My inspector also agreed, its just a learning curve for the children, mine is in the kitchen and is always available (water) :)

Stix
18-01-2009, 08:54 PM
Thank you everyone, it will stay put:)

tulip0803
18-01-2009, 10:16 PM
Mine dog's are in the lobby, one cat's is in the utility & the other 2 cats' bowls are on the bathroom window sill. But they have always been out. My animals need to eat & drink when they need to. Risk assess and supervision:D . My CSSIW pre-reg inspector agreed (She has pets and says they have to eat & drink). I never had a problem with OFSTED inspectors as I supervised closely:) .

aly
19-01-2009, 12:02 AM
we keeps ours out the kitchen too...like monkey says, you cant not give an animal a drink, especially in the summer

Helpinghands
19-01-2009, 06:59 AM
My house is the exact same lay out as yours and we keep our dogs water bowl in the kitchen.

My Ofsted Inspector didn't comment on it. The babies do try and play with the water sometimes lol, but I assure you their hands are scrubbed after.

As for feeding, he is fed when the children go home and before they arrive.

balloon
19-01-2009, 07:35 AM
I don't think Ofsted have a problem with animal food bowls being left in the kitchen as long as they're out of reach of LOs.

But... environmental health may have. Ours say no pets/pet bowls allowed in the kitchen (food business regs), it may be worth you checking with your local council to hear their views on that in case you get a surprise inspection from them (presuming of course that in your area CMs have to register as a food business, if not there's probably no problem, lol)

Helpinghands
19-01-2009, 07:53 AM
I'm registered as a food business too but if my dogs water has to be moved from the kitchen, then surely he can't go in there either?! My house if far too small to confine a dog to a room. EH have never sent any regs to me.

Sarahbelle
19-01-2009, 10:42 PM
I keep my dog water bowl on the kitchen floor too! He has epilepsy and the medication he takes to keep this under control makes him more thirsty than normal. I have gate across the kitchen doorway and all activities in the kitchen are supervised. I will wait and see what Ofsted think!

Andrea08
19-01-2009, 10:49 PM
Monkey - my feelings exactly. Pets should have access to constant fresh water too. I think it will stay where it is.

And me ,,, our dog bowl is in the kitchen the children just learn not to go near it although it was funny when one mindee said her socks were wet mmmm??? lol

Angela234
19-01-2009, 11:04 PM
At my first inspection my only recomendation was for cat bowls to be up out of reach of the children.
They are now in my porch on top of washing machine(towards the back ) they were happy with that at my last inspection

Angela

michellethegooner
20-01-2009, 12:37 AM
Mine are in the kitchen always have been, Ofsted was quite happy with this and never commented. Although maybe it helped that she had a dog herself.