PDA

View Full Version : struggling with EYFS can someone help?

jo's bambinos
18-01-2009, 04:05 PM
Hello Everyone.Ive joined the childminding forum and i was wondering if anyone can give me any advice on where to start with the EYFS.Ive been registered for 3 months now and i havent even started!!! Really enjoying my minding children we are having lots of fun but im getting bogged down with the paperwork.Ive typed up my policies and procedures and started a diary but thats about it.( forever researching but its not helping

So many people are giving me different advice and im getting confused.All i need is a basic run down of where to start? then what else i need to do.

I would be so grateful to anyone out there who has felt the same as me but has come out the other side and mastered this.With 2 small bambinos of my own i never seem to have any time.Hope to meet lots of new like minded people. take care everyone. Jo's bambinos

Pipsqueak
18-01-2009, 04:16 PM
Hi Jo and welcome.

you have come to the right place for help and advice, if you have a good old nosey around the forum you will find tons. Its a case of finding what works for you, none of us say that our way is the only way and we all work slightly differently.

Sarah707 does a great range of e-books which are helpful, informative and very reasonable.

I think with the EYFS its taking in small bite size portions, reading it, finding ways to implement and then move on to the next bit. Along the way you will hear a suggestion and will tinker and tweak what you do.

Is there anything specific you are wanting help with?

Chatterbox Childcare
18-01-2009, 04:50 PM
I started with the EYFS pack which I presume you have.

Go through the statutory requirements and list the policies you need and write them up, then I did my risk assessments.

Once I had the legal stuff done I started on the EYFS. Find a way of evaluating the children and where they are in comparrison to EYFS framework book. Then you can plan where you need to go.

You will need to start some kind of recording system. I have a file for each showing where they are and what they have achieved, along with photo's, assessments etc...

That will keep you going for a while

jo's bambinos
18-01-2009, 04:52 PM
Hi there pipsqueak,

thanks for replying so soon.I was wondering how i go about things, firstly i know i have to do obs then do i look on the devel chart for the age of child and plan devel and a activity for the child then i dont know where to go from there? Do i then do a learning journey thats links to the activity or can that be seperate.After that its all blank to me. And how do i cross reference? i heard someone talking about that the other day and didnt even know we had to do that.Someone should put together a list they would make loads of money! lol. xx

jo's bambinos
18-01-2009, 04:55 PM
Thankyou Debbie.Is that all Ofsted want? im hoping anyway lol xx

Ripeberry
18-01-2009, 05:40 PM
Have you not contacted your local council. They should have a Chilminder developmental team who can assign you to a lead childminder who will help you with lots of things. Give them a call, most councils have one.

jo's bambinos
18-01-2009, 06:00 PM
thanks for the advice i will give them a call tmrw x

angeldelight
20-01-2009, 11:28 PM
Hope you are understanding it a bit more now ?

Angel xx