PDA

View Full Version : Fire Guard

patevans
18-01-2009, 08:22 AM
My fire in the living room has never been used whilst minding in 4 years, do I still have to have a fireguard round it? I dont have a lot of space in here anyway and they take up so much room!

miffy
18-01-2009, 08:41 AM
I don't have a fireguard and it's never been a problem with Ofsted - the fire isn't used.

With EYFS I'd do a risk assessment and leave it at that

Miffy xx

patevans
18-01-2009, 09:00 AM
I don't have a fireguard and it's never been a problem with Ofsted - the fire isn't used.

Miffy xx

Any chance I could see ur risk assessment pls? My inspection is due tomorrow :panic:

miffy
18-01-2009, 09:05 AM
I would gladly send it you if I'd actually written one but I haven't done any yet :(

Maybe someone else will help you but I'd just put a few lines about how you make sure the children can't switch it on or fall and injure themselves against it - that sort of thing

HTH

Miffy xx

patevans
18-01-2009, 09:06 AM
I would gladly send it you if I'd actually written one but I haven't done any yet :(

Maybe someone else will help you but I'd just put a few lines about how you make sure the children can't switch it on or fall and injure themselves against it - that sort of thing

HTH

Miffy xx

Ok thanks x

mandy moo
18-01-2009, 12:28 PM

Miffy xx

I dont use my gas fire either, I think weve used it half dozen times in the 13 years we've been in our house!
I did tell the Ofsted inspector who came to do my grading wedont use it, but she thought I ought to have one!

miffy
18-01-2009, 12:31 PM
Did she say why she thought you should have one?

You have to show you have considered the risks and taken action to remove or minimise them but I don't agree that Ofsted have the right to tell you that you must have a fireguard

Miffy xx

childmind04
18-01-2009, 05:38 PM
Not got one now but i had a fire with a back bolier and never had a fireguard as it was never needed or used, inpspector was fine on my pre reg and my first inspection :)

marion123
18-01-2009, 08:29 PM
i don't have a fireguard and it's never been a problem with Ofsted i told them the fire isn't used she was fine with that and my inspection was last year so dont worry about it :)

patevans
18-01-2009, 10:59 PM
Thanks everyone :thumbsup: