PDA

View Full Version : Another school run enquiry - dare I? lol

Banana
28-01-2008, 03:29 PM
Well I've had another enquiry for a school run.... after my last experience of a school age mindeeI swore I wasnt going to do them lol

But. This is for a 5 year old. The school thats 5 mins walk from my house so again its easy for me to do.

Heres the details then I need some help.

5 years old. drop off at 6.30 am (going to be tired isnt he) Then I think its a pick up at 3.15 til 5pm. She also needs full time care for a 17 month old but I do not have the space so unfortunately I could only do the school run. But....

Here is the thing. I know we offer a service and we should be paid accordingly for this but It just got me thinking. 37 hours a week for a 17 months old, shes looking at between £100 - 130 a week in childcare around here, then i added the fee's for the 5 year old.

6.30 - 9am 2.5 hours, unsociable l hours for the first hour £6, + £3.50 + £1.75 after school 2 hours @ £3.50 I work it out to £18.25 a day which equates to £91.25 a week plus the 17 month old - I think that a lot in childcare.

I dont know how much help people get with tax credits etc... but I just wondered - is that sort of a normal price for a child on a school run? It just sounds so expensicve.

Im not too fussed, Im not overly loving the idea of being up at 6am every morning but for an extra £360 a month i'd do it. But I was saying to Richard last night it seems like a lot of money to ask for. To which he replied something along the lines of 'you're providing a service (she cant find anyone willing to do the school run) so she will have to pay your rates or she cant go back to work' which is true.

Im rambling.. again. but it just seems like so much money and I guess if Iknew a bit more about tax credits It might not seem so bad. I just remeber that when I was working full time, Richard and I got no help with childcare costs as our combined earning were too high,,, I just wonder how some people afford it?

x

angeldelight
28-01-2008, 03:42 PM
Good luck with this Lana

Parents get paid 90% of their childcare costs paid I think - they have to find the rest

Angel xx

Banana
28-01-2008, 03:46 PM
Really!!

Thats HUGE!! I wont feel so bad about the cost now!

x

angeldelight
28-01-2008, 03:54 PM
That is what my one parent told me that is why I did not care so much last week when that parent tried to get away with paying for her holiday later this year

Angel xx

angeldelight
28-01-2008, 03:58 PM
It says here about 80% can be claimed so I am not sure now but ...

If you click on the first one then scroll down the page you will see an estimate for what parents can claim it is still huge

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/payetaxpayers/tmachildcare-costs-help-with.shtml

Angel xx

berkschick
28-01-2008, 03:58 PM
Dont let the first experience put you off.

Meet the family and see what you think!

It does seem a lot for before and after school care but it is an early start so that bumps the price up quite a bit.

Let us know how you get on!

Banana
28-01-2008, 04:34 PM
Thanks for the link Angel

x

sarah707
28-01-2008, 05:52 PM
I think it's a maximum of 75% of the childcare costs from tax credits, but it does depend on how much they earn... if they're both earning, it can be as low as nothing... but then if they're both earning, they ought to able to afford the fees :p

miffy
28-01-2008, 05:57 PM
Meet the family first and trust your instinct

Don't worry about the cost - it's unsocial hours in the morning and they'll get help with the cost - whether they can afford it is not your problem

If you reduce your price you'll regret it or resent it - I've been there and done that

Good luck

Miffy xx

littlestar
28-01-2008, 06:12 PM
yes i understood it to be 75% off childcare from tax credits

Rubybubbles
28-01-2008, 07:51 PM
sorry am I selfish, they know who much they would have to pay, as long as they pay you, don't worry about how much it would cost them;)

Banana
28-01-2008, 07:53 PM
You sound very like Richard - business minded. he says I should try it sometime lol

x

Lisa's Little Angels
28-01-2008, 09:36 PM
I've had alot of customers in the past 6 months paying with tax credits and as far as they tell me its up to 90% paid if single parent working 16hr wk - dunno about low earning 2 income family but hope this helps a bit if ven 4 future reference
bfn lisa x

manjay
28-01-2008, 09:38 PM
I dare you!!!

amanda xx

button68
28-01-2008, 09:52 PM
The parent I have gets Tax Credits and she told me she gets 80%

Oh Yes!.......................... I Double Dare You http://easyfreesmileys.com/smileys/free-evil-grin-smileys-429.gif (http://easyfreesmileys.com/)

bubbly
29-01-2008, 10:18 AM
When my partner and I were both working, we used to get approx £45 per month towards the cost of full-time childcare for our son. I don't know how these poeple are able to claim upwards of 75% :eek: . I know it was based on our salaries but we didn't earn THAT much! My weekly childcare bill was £127 so approx £11.25 per week was funded :eek: :eek:

Banana
29-01-2008, 10:34 AM
Thanks for all your advice/help/info.

I was just going from my experience when Richard and I were both working full time. We got no help for our childcare because of our earnings - which is unfair, I think. So effectively I need any parents to have lower paid jobs in order for them to maybe afford childcare - it sounds ridiculous when said this way!

I am meeting on thursday so i'll let you know what happens

x

angeldelight
30-01-2008, 04:33 PM
good luck tomorrow Lana

Angel xx

Banana
30-01-2008, 04:40 PM
thank you xx

angeldelight
30-01-2008, 04:40 PM
are you still on the phone ?

xx

kidfriendly
30-01-2008, 05:45 PM
hi i have 2 boys both parents work and they get 75% of there childcare paid for them
good luck

LittleMissSparkles
31-01-2008, 09:47 AM
any update Lana ? xxx

Banana
31-01-2008, 02:16 PM
Had the meeting this morning.

Nice lady. she brought her 17 month old along, very sweet. But i cant do the hours for her.

She has now decided that she is not going to be getting 3 children ready in the morning for 6am and so is going to speak to work and arrange something else as she said it was just too much - I agree.

So the school run would only be for pick up for 2 hours a day. which is fine but to make it worth my while I would charge £10 (£5 an hour).

So we'll see but I dont know if she'll come back. The meeting went well but she hasnt decided what she is doing yet. Probably be a lot of hassle for not much money and as it wont be everyday. A bit too much messing about for me

x

katie0183
31-01-2008, 04:37 PM
Just to let you know that the whole tax credits thing combined child tax credits and working tax credits paid for all of my childcare when i was a single parent wortking full time. Bare in mind that these two are paid combined so although you may only get 80/90% paid by working tax credit the rest of it makes it up