PDA

View Full Version : husband crb checked

mandy moo
17-01-2009, 05:19 PM
I'm asking this on behalf of a lady going thro the process of be coming a childminder, she is awaiting her grading inspection.
She would like to know, if, as her husband is CRB checked, he lives with her and is over 16, if he can stay at home while she does the school run with a 2yr old & 3yr old.

I said I didnt know the answer to this so said I would post on here?

jellytot
17-01-2009, 05:52 PM
i'm sure he needs to be registered as an assistant, thats why i got my hubby registered.

Chatterbox Childcare
17-01-2009, 06:45 PM
She needs a letter to say that he is approved by them and this will give her insurance but she needs to purchase a public liability insurance first as hers is not enough

For anyone to be left alone with a child of any age you have to have a Paediatric First Aid Certificate, so hubby would have to do this.

Then as long as you have parental permission and all this in place, hubby could stay home with the children.

mandy moo
18-01-2009, 12:15 PM
Will pass that on, thankyou.

liz252
19-01-2009, 01:55 PM
Hiya, I've recently had hubby registered as an assistant too, however .....

Spoke to Ofsted about this, he was CRB checked anyway so that was fine - they just put 'assistant' to his name on their records & didn't let me know! So I phoned them up & they said it was in place. But then when I checked to say that he would occasionally just be sitting at home whilst the baby was asleep upstairs so I could go on the school run without waking baby up (I have the parents permission for this) then Ofsted said that since September, registered assistants were not meant to be left alone with children. To which I said that I knew of at least 5 childminders in the area who were doing this, that previously assistants could be left for up to an hour with children under the age of 5 (with the parents permission) and therefore how are they allowed to operate like this but because I've enquired I am not.

Well, they're changing my certificate especially for these reasons so I'm ok, although yet again, I think it's going to be a confusion for those who are already operating with their assistants like this, despite what the new rules apparently say.

I dont know whether this helps or hinders anyway but thought you might like to know!

Also, hubby is actually first aid registered anyway, but I wasn't told that he had to be .... probably because technically he wouldn't be left alone with them anyway maybe?

Liz x

marian
19-01-2009, 06:18 PM
Im sure that there is another thread on here somewhere about assistants and how confusing it is now Ofsted have moved the goal posts ....:rolleyes:

Marian x

cheeky monkeys
21-01-2009, 12:21 AM
I have had an Ofsted inspection after the changes in sept 2008. I employ 2 assistants, both registered by Ofsted. Neither has to have to have First aid training, but since have for my peace of mind. I may not leave them with over 5's, but can do with under 5's with the written permission of the parents.
Hope this helps to clarify your situation

cheeky monkeys
21-01-2009, 12:24 AM
Sorry also meant to mention might be advisable to take out employers liability insurance, as technically as your assistant you are employing hubby. He may be your Hubby,, But..

Pauline
30-01-2009, 10:51 AM
Well, they're changing my certificate especially for these reasons so I'm ok, although yet again, I think it's going to be a confusion for those who are already operating with their assistants like this, despite what the new rules apparently say.

It's totally confusing! My NCMA co-ordinator has it in writing from Ofsted that anyone who registered an assistant prior to Sept should carry on as they were as regards to sole care, even for the over 5's, while the changes are made to the legal documents regading EYFS.

Yet it seems that some Ofsted call centre staff are saying otherwise now! :panic:

loocyloo
31-01-2009, 11:09 AM
i was talking to an inspector yesterday, who rang to check she had her head round the assorted variations i wanted! ( she did, and i've got my variations! ) and she said that currently i can leave my assistant with the under 5's (with written permission) , but not the over 5's, however, this was beng sorted and she thought it would amended soon, as it was daft!!!

xxx

mandy moo
31-01-2009, 07:11 PM
It's totally confusing! My NCMA co-ordinator has it in writing from Ofsted that anyone who registered an assistant prior to Sept should carry on as they were as regards to sole care, even for the over 5's, while the changes are made to the legal documents regading EYFS.

Yet it seems that some Ofsted call centre staff are saying otherwise now! :panic:

I am very new to childminding, and from what Ive read on this forum,
People can be told different things by different inspectors and call centre staff re the same question,
how can it vary so much?
It seems to me, it all depends on what the person on the other end of the 'line' seems to think (it would seem) and their personal opinion.
Why ?
Shouldnt they, and if they have it is obviously not working, statuory guide lines they have to adhere to?

Pauline
01-02-2009, 11:04 AM
I totally agree with you Mandy. We get different information and then it is us that will be downgraded at an inspection when things go wrong because of wrong information :mad:

misst104
01-02-2009, 11:46 AM
Very confusing, like alot of other things with regards to the big O it would seem :mad:

jo x x x :)

mandy moo
01-02-2009, 05:26 PM
I totally agree with you Mandy. We get different information and then it is us that will be downgraded at an inspection when things go wrong because of wrong information :mad:

Prehaps a petition or something of the sort, might spur them into action:rolleyes:
Not

Pauline
01-02-2009, 08:07 PM
Not

AGREED! :laughing::laughing:

shopshelleyd
01-02-2009, 11:17 PM
I recently had my inspection and have my husband registered as my assistant just to help on the school run one morning a week. However, because my certificate says can be left in sole charge with parents permission I did permission form so could leave children for up to 30 mins or in an emergency. The inspectors said I could not do this unless he had paediatric first aid. They spent an hour phoning main office checking this was def correct and point out that it says in the EYFS guidance he must have first aid if left in charge (unless in an emergency when it does not matter). I understand their point but my argument is that as others have said I know of loads of minders that do no know about this and at no point during registering him did the forms say he would have to have first aid to be left in sole charge. I have since received my inspection report and an not happy because under "overall effectiveness" it says that childrens health and safety is compromised. I have appealed against this because I have already advised OFSTED that since they have advised he needs first aid he will not be left in sole charge. Interestingly my new certificate still just says "assistant may be left in sole charge with parents permission". I have asked OFSTED to look at amended this going forward because it should say "providing have paediatric first aid" so everyone is made clear that this is the case.

Sorry for going on but this has been a real nightmare for me and I am really upset that my inspection report reads so badly and it is due to a genuine and totally unintended error. I also don't want anyone else to be put in my situation.

Shelley :veryangry:

mandy moo
02-02-2009, 09:18 AM
]AGREED[/COLOR]! :laughing::laughing:

Are you offering Pauline:D

mandy moo
02-02-2009, 09:18 AM
I would, but wouldnt have a clue as to how go about it:eek:

loocyloo
02-02-2009, 10:33 AM
I recently had my inspection and have my husband registered as my assistant just to help on the school run one morning a week. However, because my certificate says can be left in sole charge with parents permission I did permission form so could leave children for up to 30 mins or in an emergency. The inspectors said I could not do this unless he had paediatric first aid. They spent an hour phoning main office checking this was def correct and point out that it says in the EYFS guidance he must have first aid if left in charge (unless in an emergency when it does not matter). I understand their point but my argument is that as others have said I know of loads of minders that do no know about this and at no point during registering him did the forms say he would have to have first aid to be left in sole charge. I have since received my inspection report and an not happy because under "overall effectiveness" it says that childrens health and safety is compromised. I have appealed against this because I have already advised OFSTED that since they have advised he needs first aid he will not be left in sole charge. Interestingly my new certificate still just says "assistant may be left in sole charge with parents permission". I have asked OFSTED to look at amended this going forward because it should say "providing have paediatric first aid" so everyone is made clear that this is the case.

Sorry for going on but this has been a real nightmare for me and I am really upset that my inspection report reads so badly and it is due to a genuine and totally unintended error. I also don't want anyone else to be put in my situation.

Shelley :veryangry:

i am just about through the process of registering an assistant ... guess what ... at no point has she or i been told she needs peadiatric ( or other! ) first aid! and i have spoken with lots of official people about it! i only know because of the forum!

big hug shelley xxx

loocyloo x

Chatterbox Childcare
02-02-2009, 10:37 AM
I have had an Ofsted inspection after the changes in sept 2008. I employ 2 assistants, both registered by Ofsted. Neither has to have to have First aid training, but since have for my peace of mind. I may not leave them with over 5's, but can do with under 5's with the written permission of the parents.
Hope this helps to clarify your situation

I would go back to your Ofsted office again as I believe this inspector has it wrong. The law was changed by the DCSF and part of that states that anyone left with an assistant has to have a pediatric first aid.

I agree about the public liability insurance - it isn't optional and only £5.00. Losing your house if there was a claim just isn't worth it.