PDA

View Full Version : How long did it take you all to get started?

mandysmonkeys
17-01-2009, 02:00 PM
Hi I have registered since 31st October and started advertising 3rd Nov with ads in newsagents, school and gave leaflets to someone I know who works in local playgroup.
I finally got my add on the cis site a week b4 xmas.

I am really eager to get started now but I have only had 3 phone calls and 1 email since Nov about care. And 2 were suppose to get back to me and didn't.

I was just wondering how long it can generally take to get going or is the lack of interest down to the recession?

I keep finding new bits of paperwork to do and buying things ~ dh has told me to stop spending money till I have a child on my books lol :blush:

Monkey1
17-01-2009, 03:10 PM
Have you thought about putting an advert in the car?

jackandjill
17-01-2009, 06:32 PM
Hi mandysmonkeys

I was in the same situation as you, I was registered at the beginning of october and starting advertising straight away.
Got load of Enquiries in october-november time all of which said would get back to me. Anyway today one of those parents rany me today and asked if she could start full time in march, I also have another full timer starting in April and someone else coming to see me monday.Things have been really slow since then and they are picking up now.

Hold in there mandysmonkeys it will happen.

Wish you all the best.

SARAH

miffy
17-01-2009, 06:48 PM
Do you know any other minders in your area?

You might be able to find out from them whether there is much work available in your area or not. Perhaps they could pass on any work to you that they can't do.

It's early days yet so don't give up.

Hope something turns up soon

Miffy xx

childmind04
17-01-2009, 07:07 PM
It took me until the march to get started after registering the same time as you, i also had a few time wasters but touch wood things have been fine since :)

Think positive and try not to let it get you down :)

singlewiththree
18-01-2009, 07:53 AM
[QUOTE=mandysmonkeys;309771]Hi I have registered since 31st October and started advertising 3rd Nov with ads in newsagents, school and gave leaflets to someone I know who works in local playgroup.
I finally got my add on the cis site a week b4 xmas./QUOTE]

I think its dependant on the time of year and area really. We have loads of childminders in this area and most have vacancies so its who you know and which school you can collect from.

I was registered in Dec but I started advertising in Sept from starting the course, I put notices in shop windows/website/word of mouth. I had an enquiry for after schools who then didn't need me. Then one in Dec for a holiday over care who starts Feb and then the latest which want to start Oct. The last one came from recommendations from other childminders which was nice. The first one was from school and the second they saw my advert in the postoffice and then saw me at pre-school and realised who I was. I still have places to fill now but may just try and target holiday care for now as from Oct I will happily be working term time only so could make additional money up with working part time in the holidays. Good luck!

mandysmonkeys
18-01-2009, 07:55 AM
Thanks all for replys, I forgot to say i have a sign in the car and also went in person to the three local playgroups to introduce myself lol.

I am hoping to go to a childminders group at the sure start centre, it happens once a month next one is 4th Feb so that may help me make sure my prices are fine.

I am just waiting for the phone to ring or an email to be sent to me lol