PDA

View Full Version : What font should i use ??

loobyloo168
16-01-2009, 12:57 PM
Hello all,

Im printing some handwriting practice sheets for my after schooler and was just wondering if any of you have any sugestions for what font i should use ? I was going to use comic sans but the some of the letters (like t) are not like how they do them in school ? Any other suggestions ??

misst104
16-01-2009, 01:07 PM
Could you maybe ask at school if they would mind giving you an example card of how they write their letters. Having worked in schools for many years teaching pre-reading and writing skills I know that its really hard to 'unteach' any incorrect letter formations once it is in a childs head that thats how they do it - IYSWIM. Good for you for wanting to get it right :thumbsup:

Jo x x x

loobyloo168
16-01-2009, 01:12 PM
Yeah thats what i was thinking, I was a nursery nursery nurse 10 yrs ago atin schools and know how hard it is to get them out of habits they've learnt else where. And i dont want to handwrite them myself. I know they use jolly phonics at school. But i do want to get it right for her. Shes only just starting to write so want to support her as much as possible.

sarah707
16-01-2009, 02:27 PM
There are a few schoolbook fonts, notably Sassoon Primary, but even that doesn't look enough like the way our local school writes to use it with the children.

If you are looking for something to use straight away make sure it is sans serif (without the little bits on the ends of the letters, like this one but not like this) and check the numbers as well - 1 and 4 are especially tricky and shouldn't look like these!

Actually I would just ask school! :laughing:

madasahatter
16-01-2009, 02:51 PM
I downloaded some fonts from here
http://www.underfives.co.uk/download.html

I've got one that is the cursive script with all the tails on the letters and I particularly like the dotty letters, which I make into laminated name cards for the children to practice their names when they are ready.

misst104
16-01-2009, 03:05 PM
If you know that the school is definately using jolly phonics then there are loads of sites you could take a look at. I am rubbish with computers and don't know how to add links to sites but if you take a look on this one I think its quite useful for what you are needing www.jollylearning.co.uk.

HTH x x x

loobyloo168
16-01-2009, 04:53 PM
Thank you all, ill have a look and see what i can come up with xx

loobyloo168
16-01-2009, 04:57 PM
I downloaded some fonts from here
http://www.underfives.co.uk/download.html

I've got one that is the cursive script with all the tails on the letters and I particularly like the dotty letters, which I make into laminated name cards for the children to practice their names when they are ready.

I know im going to sound thick, but how do i use them after iv downloaded them ?? :blush:

miffy
16-01-2009, 05:40 PM
There are a few schoolbook fonts, notably Sassoon Primary, but even that doesn't look enough like the way our local school writes to use it with the children.

If you are looking for something to use straight away make sure it is sans serif (without the little bits on the ends of the letters, like this one but not like this) and check the numbers as well - 1 and 4 are especially tricky and shouldn't look like these!

I would too! (loved the explanation though :D )

Miffy xx

loobyloo168
16-01-2009, 05:53 PM

When i picked up mindee today, I saw their display at school today and they have the flicks on the ends, so ill have a look aorund and will probably purchase some Jolly Phonics stuff. It will be an investment anyway.

Thanks once again for oyur helpx

mandy moo
17-01-2009, 07:56 AM
Year 1 and above use flicks from what Ive seen with my two boys,

My nearly 5 year old mindee was taught by parents to write in capitals!
And quote 'daddy says its stupid, writing little letters@ ho hum good luck to the reception class teacher this year:laughing:
And as she can read too, has he not noticed that books and stuff write in 'little letter', not capitals?

mandy moo
17-01-2009, 08:10 AM
Oh and our school has also sent home in news letters, Nursery upwards, how the children are taught to write/form their letters in school, for parents who wish to help with letter formation etc

madasahatter
17-01-2009, 03:41 PM
I know im going to sound thick, but how do i use them after iv downloaded them ??

I couldn't remember (they've been on my main pc for several years) so I've just downloaded them into my laptop
1. Go onto the under 5's link and download the fonts onto your computer.
2. Open a word processing document and then in the help menu do a search on 'install new font' and it will give you step by step instructions.

For word 2007 on my vista laptop I had to open the control panel and go into fonts, find the downloaded fonts and click on them to install them and they are now there whenever I need them.
Hope that helps

loobyloo168
17-01-2009, 04:39 PM
I couldn't remember (they've been on my main pc for several years) so I've just downloaded them into my laptop
1. Go onto the under 5's link and download the fonts onto your computer.
2. Open a word processing document and then in the help menu do a search on 'install new font' and it will give you step by step instructions.

For word 2007 on my vista laptop I had to open the control panel and go into fonts, find the downloaded fonts and click on them to install them and they are now there whenever I need them.
Hope that helps

Thank you very much xx