View Full Version : What to do :(

16-01-2009, 10:49 AM
Ive been advertising for vacancies for ages now and just about given up hope when i got an email last night when i got home from college. The mother said her daughter goes to my sons school and her other daughter is 7 mths. She needs childcare within the next few weeks but is unsure of hours as still on maternity and could she come see me? I emailed her back to say of course she could :clapping:

This morning i get a call from the teenage parent group (something i feel strongly about) and they had a 17 year old with a 7 mth old baby wanting to start next week as shes going to college, she pregnant so would need a plce for her unborn from september. Im the only registered with them in this area so if not shed have to travel quite far. I said i had places as her oldest would be 1 by time the baby comes so she said shed call back when shes spoken to mum.

Now i dont know what to do, do i follow my head and check with first mum how many hours she wants and follow the right now money, or, do i go with my heart and give the young mum a chance because ive been there before and know how flipping hard it is lol :panic: or do i take my mum up on her offer of being my assistant as ofsted said i could have an extra baby and toddler if i did this and risk strangling her but it means i can take them all? :panic: :panic:

16-01-2009, 10:57 AM
That's what it's like! You don't get anything for ages, then loads all at once!

It's hard to say what to do really. I think only you can decide. You have to do what feels right for you.

If your mum's willing to be an assistant you could do that. Until you know exactly what hours they both are you might find you only need your mum a couple of days!

16-01-2009, 10:59 AM
I would prob go with getting your Mum to lend a hand.

The other thing is if you took on both children now, by the time baby is born you could go for a variation for sibling. You would be very likely to get it.

Would the teen Mum be a term time only contract? Thats something else to consider.

16-01-2009, 12:20 PM
Only you know if you could work with your mum so that decision is in your hands.

If your mum is not in the equation however I would go with the "right now" money. I know your intentions are good towards the teenage mum but bottom line is that we are running a business. Things with the teenage mum sound a little less definite and confirmed and it would be just your luck that you said no to the first mum and then plans with the teenage mum change and you land up with no money.

Good luck.

16-01-2009, 01:44 PM
Having my mum in for a couple of days wont be an option as shes working full time so if she gave up her job to help me shed have to be here full time too as she needs the money.

I am swaying towards taking the school child and the baby as i dont know if teen mum just needs childcare in holidays while i do know other mum needs term and holidays, it would bump up my income in holidyas as school child here full days. However i know teen mums baby is full time and i dont know hours of other children yet :panic: . I do feel guilty for choosing first mum option, DP said just to go with the first option as its more money and he doesnt have to talk to my mother after a long day at work! :eek: Really neither option is ideal but then im just being fussy lol

16-01-2009, 02:44 PM
Find out as much as you can about the teen mum. There's a high chance that the money will come from other sources (college, early years etc). Specifically find out exactly what hours you would be needed and what would happen if the mum gave up college or whatever she is doing, making sure you got paid any notice required. (Good chance that if someone else is paying you could include full or half fees to retain the space through college holidays)
Whilst I don't want to put you off, as the teen mum projects are very worth while, the teenage mums can often be thoughtless when it comes to late drop offs and pick ups (especially as they're not personally picking up the bill) and every one that I've had (3) have skipped college but not told me, which can potentially cause payment problems. Thankfully none of mine dropped out of college without telling me. (I'm sure others will be on with more info as I've not had a teen mum for a few years)

Make arrangements to see the other parent, but don't pester her for commitment otherwise you may put her off. Find out what you can about her requirements. When she visits tell her about the teen mum project and tell her you are looking to fit the two together. If she is looking for childcare early enough she may be able to fit her return to work hours around what you can offer (especially as the teen mum is hardly likely to be full time). Or you may be able to fit the teen mum around her.

Good luck and I hope it all works out

16-01-2009, 07:22 PM
Thanks for your advice it makes sense, i know what you mean with late pick ups etc i can see that happening actually. She hasnt called me back today anyway like she said she would so i think ill go with the local mum whos daughter goes to DS school and the baby she seems more keen and reliable lol. Thanks everyone