PDA

View Full Version : Front seat of the car??

aly
15-01-2009, 09:35 PM
Sorry I am on a roll tonight lol

during my inspection yesterday, she asked me what car I had {saab 95 estate} and said how many seats have i got. i said 3 in the back for my 3 kids and then a front seat. she siad then I wouldnt be able to use my car as you cant use the front seat , I did say even for my eldest if i put him in the front on his booster?

So the question is, is she right and that no-one [apart from adult] allowed in front?

tia

sarah707
15-01-2009, 09:43 PM
As far as I am aware you can put your own child where ever you want in a car...

Except if they're a baby in a rear facing seat and it's got one of those air bag things.

I might be wrong though, that's just what my first thought is telling me. :D

FizzysFriends
15-01-2009, 09:46 PM
You can legally put a child in the front in an appropriate car seat and as long as the air bag is off with a rear facing car seat. I can't see how ofsted can tell you what you can and can't do with your own children.

crazybones
15-01-2009, 09:48 PM
Here you go

http://www.childcarseats.org.uk/carrying_safely/index.htm

aly
15-01-2009, 10:08 PM
As far as I am aware you can put your own child where ever you want in a car...

this was my thought.

thank you for that link... i will go through that now:thumbsup:

gemhei
15-01-2009, 10:43 PM
As far as i knew you could put a baby in a rear facing car seat under 1 if the air bag is off. The only other children that could sit in the front seat, car seat or not is if they are over 14. That is what a poice officer told my dad when he had my 11 year old sister in passanger seat. Dunno if he was having one of those days tho :rolleyes:

beerheaven
15-01-2009, 10:48 PM
I don't believe there is any age restriction on sitting in front seat of car, as long as child is in age appropriate seat restraint.

rickysmiths
15-01-2009, 11:54 PM
As far as I have been told as long as the propper care seat is used and the air bag is deactivated you can put mindees in the front or back.

As far as you own children it is none of Mrs Osteds business what you do, frankly you could sit them on the roof!!! though this prob wouldn't be the best way to travel.!

Just watch what she may write in your report because you can get factually incorrect things changed.

miffy
16-01-2009, 08:16 AM
I don't believe there is any age restriction on sitting in front seat of car, as long as child is in age appropriate seat restraint.

That's what I thought too

Miffy xx

HomefromHome
16-01-2009, 08:27 AM
as long as you have the correct seat for the WEIGHT of the child (ie, correct restraints too) you can use the front seat as long as you have NO airbag or can deactivate it.
great website tho - have saved in favourites!:)

dawney
16-01-2009, 11:20 AM
Brilliant website, thanks:)

hbomb1
16-01-2009, 12:00 PM
I thought that you could only place a child on the front passenger seat if all other seats are taken.

I have just downsized to a Yaris and am struggling as got three children of my own, so my eldest son (6 years) sits in the front on age appropriate booster.

michellethegooner
16-01-2009, 12:20 PM
As far as I am aware your own children can sit in front on appropriate seats, my 10yr old son sits in front, and when the law changed making it compulsary for children under 11 to use a booster I was stopped by police as routine checks, and my son was in front on booster with no other children in car and I wasn't told anything.