PDA

View Full Version : Is there any way round this..

Jelly Baby
15-01-2009, 04:54 PM
Hi not posted much as have had trouble logging in anyway got here in the end! wondered if anyone could help with following post please:
At 5.15pm last night i had a call off ofsted right in the middle of me doing the kids dinner, i got them seated as quick as and carried on the conversation knowing if i asked her to ring back it would be tommorow..anyway she asked if i was working friday so she could inspect me (was due sept) i said i was but then put my foot in it by saying i had a bank apt which i had been trying to sort for ages as needed to change details and been a real faff, she was fine with this and asked if i had changed my name with ofsted..i said no but had tried just got sick of waiting on the line and not got round to it..she said she was unable to inspect me on my old name and asked me to scan my certificate and as soon as they got it she would ring me..ok i said no probs..phew as got out of friday hopefully! She then went on to ask if dh was still an assistant to which i said yes, she has basically told me that he can no longer do it and will be taken off as soon as i am inspected, this is for everyone btw..i told her he currently does thursday am school runs and that's it, only started 2 weeks ago and taken 2 kids on so not best pleased and panicking how i am going to do it now.

I was stressing and got a call back from her saying she had managed to do my name change..joy! and i asked her again r.e the assistant bit, she has said as he is not paediatric first aid trained this is one reason and the fact that they are just stopping it anyway (so 1st aid wouldn't matter)and it says in my eyfs book, i said i was honest and hadn't seen it and she said i certainly wasn't the first..i asked about what happened if he was paediatric trained and she didn't know, he is first aid trained etc and all is as it was when he ws added but as soon as she comes that's it..no notice but i'm ok till then..great. The stupid thing is she then went on to ask exactly what he does and i repeated the school run and that i stay at the house with the baby, he has the kids for a 10 min journey and that's it, she said he could stay at home with the baby and i do the school run and i said that made no sense, she agreed?? she said i had to keep my continuinity of care going yet cannot do it prob after next week so i am really confused and cross..

What shall i do and has anyone else had this?

(i have to say the worry of the inspection is now over run with this at the mo)

nell57
15-01-2009, 05:08 PM
The rule has changed as far as the register concerning the 5 to 8 year groups, something about assistants not allowed under any circumstances to be left with alone with children, even with parent permission

Sorry to be vague, as I dont work with an assistant haven't taken much notice, but am sure some one will be along to explain it in more details:)

nell57
15-01-2009, 05:29 PM
Just found the link that explains it, hope I can get work

http://childmindinghelp.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=20933

FizzysFriends
15-01-2009, 05:45 PM
He could register in his own right and then he could continue to do the school run.

kindredspirits
15-01-2009, 05:53 PM
weird, so yes the way round it is either to get him to register on the compulsary register in his own right - or to leave him at home with the baby while you do the school run. - someone correct me if i've got lost along the way, but i think i'm right.

Andrea08
15-01-2009, 05:56 PM
Quite a few cm in my area has their husbands as assistants and he does the school run? i read somewhere that assistannts are not allowed to be left unsupervised with the children? whats the point of having an assistant if they carnt be left with the children or do the school run its daft?

one cm's husband has registered as a cm but because they work form the same house can only have 2 extra children.
they are so upset because its not worth leaving his job for the income of just 2 children,,,

my daughter when she turns 18 this year wants to be my part time assistant but its not going to be worth it if she can only work alongside me and nothing more!!!

nursery staff are less qualifyed than us (some i mean) yet ive seen two young girls taking 4 children out of the nursery to our local horse field?

the whole point of having an assisstant is to have more children , help with school runs so we dont have to take babies out in bad weather, and help during meal times and watch the others while we do the potty/toilet training etc.

ohh sorry got on my soap box a bit xx

ajs
15-01-2009, 06:00 PM
Hi not posted much as have had trouble logging in anyway got here in the end! wondered if anyone could help with following post please:
At 5.15pm last night i had a call off ofsted right in the middle of me doing the kids dinner, i got them seated as quick as and carried on the conversation knowing if i asked her to ring back it would be tommorow..anyway she asked if i was working friday so she could inspect me (was due sept) i said i was but then put my foot in it by saying i had a bank apt which i had been trying to sort for ages as needed to change details and been a real faff, she was fine with this and asked if i had changed my name with ofsted..i said no but had tried just got sick of waiting on the line and not got round to it..she said she was unable to inspect me on my old name and asked me to scan my certificate and as soon as they got it she would ring me..ok i said no probs..phew as got out of friday hopefully! She then went on to ask if dh was still an assistant to which i said yes, she has basically told me that he can no longer do it and will be taken off as soon as i am inspected, this is for everyone btw..i told her he currently does thursday am school runs and that's it, only started 2 weeks ago and taken 2 kids on so not best pleased and panicking how i am going to do it now.

I was stressing and got a call back from her saying she had managed to do my name change..joy! and i asked her again r.e the assistant bit, she has said as he is not paediatric first aid trained this is one reason and the fact that they are just stopping it anyway (so 1st aid wouldn't matter)and it says in my eyfs book, i said i was honest and hadn't seen it and she said i certainly wasn't the first..i asked about what happened if he was paediatric trained and she didn't know, he is first aid trained etc and all is as it was when he ws added but as soon as she comes that's it..no notice but i'm ok till then..great. The stupid thing is she then went on to ask exactly what he does and i repeated the school run and that i stay at the house with the baby, he has the kids for a 10 min journey and that's it, she said he could stay at home with the baby and i do the school run and i said that made no sense, she agreed?? she said i had to keep my continuinity of care going yet cannot do it prob after next week so i am really confused and cross..

What shall i do and has anyone else had this?

(i have to say the worry of the inspection is now over run with this at the mo)

i spoke to an inspector about this this week and apparently it's an anomoly that has appeared recently

an assistant can stay with your babies but cannot do the school run as it is something to do with the registers it is changing soon though as they realise it's ridiculous
i am in the process of registering an assitant as well as my husband and son and she mentioned none of those issues to me
i think she may have it wrong or i have but i am processing the applications anyway so i'll let you know as soon as i hear

tinkerbelle
15-01-2009, 07:28 PM
at my inspection in december 08 i asked ofsted about this she agreed with me that it was absolutly ridiculous as an older child would be more able to tell you if the assistant had done anything wrong than a younger child
in other words it would be safer leaving the assistant with the 5-8 years than a baby
she also said it was s0mething ofsted were trying to remove as it was a pointless ruling due to me being on all 3 registers my assistant is crb checked etc
hopefully it will be removed but wont hold my breath

wendywu
15-01-2009, 07:44 PM
Start your after schoolers contracts from the time they enter your home.

If they have asked your husband to pick their children up and bring them to your home and he does not get paid for it then it is nothing to do with Ofsted.

The childminding starts from 3.30. Of course the parents would have to ok this and still pay you the same. Its worth a thought.

Or on the other hand you would have to do the school run.

Jelly Baby
15-01-2009, 08:16 PM
Thanks for the replies ladies! ok well i was hoping ofsted lady would ring back today with some info but she didn't, it was left openish and she said she could do what she could..i have no idea what that meant as he can either do it or he can't?

SO to put it 2 easier ways for my hurting brain lol option 1 is:

Dh to stay at home with baby and me do school run, he is only first aid trained though and not paediatric, this never mattered and he is not daft will it now?

Option 2 :

Dh to do it still but not as registered, obviously this is at the agreement of the parents who are fine with him as he is in the police etc but obviously they wouldn't pay me as such (cash in hand) as still need paying but not through books as he's not allowed to do it...
Does that make sense!

If none of those i am going to have to let 2 go in mornings as brothers which is a big loss in money and hope she doesn't cancel altogether..

What would you do in this position?

wendywu
16-01-2009, 12:03 AM
i think i would leave him at home safe and sound with the baby and do the school run myself.:)

Jelly Baby
18-01-2009, 10:12 AM
Thanks for the replys..well we don't mind either way round BUT i think leaving him with the little one at home has it's probs as dh is first aid checked but not paediatric? does this matter..never has in the almost 4 years i have been doing it so seems odd now..
Can anyone clarify this please.

Chatterbox Childcare
18-01-2009, 10:35 AM
i spoke to an inspector about this this week and apparently it's an anomoly that has appeared recently

an assistant can stay with your babies but cannot do the school run as it is something to do with the registers it is changing soon though as they realise it's ridiculous
i am in the process of registering an assitant as well as my husband and son and she mentioned none of those issues to me
i think she may have it wrong or i have but i am processing the applications anyway so i'll let you know as soon as i hear

Mandy you have it right. It wasn't Ofsted who set these rules it was the DCSF and my Ofsted inspector seemed to think it will be here for a year. If enough people write to the DCSF complaining they might start reviewing in April.

No assistants can be left with any child unless they have a paedatric first aid certificate and then can only be left with children in the EYFS age group.