PDA

View Full Version : Emergency childcare scheme - advice please

acorns
15-01-2009, 12:42 PM
I've been asked to go onto a register of minders to provide emergency childcare. It means I would have to keep two places free in case they are needed. It's a trial scheme for 3 months. I would be on call to provide care 7 days a week 7am - 7pm once in every 3 weeks. I would normally charge double my normal fee for weekends and anything outside my core hours of 8am - 6pm, do you think this is reasonable(I have 1 parent that is happy to pay it at the mo.). The local eyd will be paying a retainer and the rate is negotiable:) . Has anyone else been involved in this sort of thing and how did it work out? How did you sort out the fees? what sort of notice did you get on the arrival of a child? Was it worth getting involved? How did you get info on the child before they arrived? - Thanks

mandy moo
15-01-2009, 06:12 PM
Didnt want to read and run, but Im sure some one will be along shortly to give advice

DudleyChildmind
15-01-2009, 06:18 PM
I've never heard of that before but it sounds interesting and something I would possibly consider.

FizzysFriends
15-01-2009, 06:18 PM
I can't answer your questions, Im registered here but they don't ask you to hold a place they call and see if you have a space when they need it.

But, if it was me I would ask around other minders in the area and see what they are charging and base it around the average amount. You certainly don't want to be selling yourself short.

kindredspirits
15-01-2009, 06:21 PM
i guess it depends on the age of the spaces you'd need to keep free. if its 5+ then i would consider it but if it was younger then no as its a big part of your income... unless ofcourse they were happy to pay full fee retainers. i guess it also depends on how full you are/want to be and how much demand there is in your area.