PDA

View Full Version : children smelling of smoke

childmind04
15-01-2009, 10:54 AM
Has anyone ever had this? i have 2 from the same family who arrive smelling really bad of smoke :( i know mum is a heavy smoker and have gave her leaflets etc but it will never change, the smell really gets to me in the mornings and i can feel myself avioding getting close to them :blush:

Dont know if there is anything i can do but would love some advice :idea:

sarah707
15-01-2009, 10:57 AM
Keep changes of clothes for messy play that you've washed at your house... change them back before parents come.

Tie girl's hair up... I used to help out at swimming at the local club and one little girl's hair always stank even though it was lovely and clean. Putting it in a cap was awful, but it was better in a ponytail.

Febreze? :panic:

sarah32
15-01-2009, 11:22 AM
I have one that comes to me smelling of smoke, his hair, clothes and his change bag. Not very nice.

nannysue
15-01-2009, 12:19 PM
Sarah, i have just the same. Everytime i go into the bag for a nappy it hits you :( and as for her clothes !!!!

childmind04
15-01-2009, 12:20 PM
I only now have them in the morning for an hour but used to have them fulltime and cant remember it being this bad :( i hope it does not get picked up on at school or they will start getting called names :(

Roll on the nice morings when we can do breakfast al fresco :)

nell57
15-01-2009, 12:24 PM
Not had it with mindees, but when we visit my parents house, who both smoke, you can always smell it on ours clothes, even when they haven't actually smoked while we were there:(

HomefromHome
15-01-2009, 12:24 PM
i used to have a young boy come smelling of smoke - i was lucky tho as she was a friend, so she made more of an effort to smoke by the back door only or outside - things did improve. depends if you're brave enough to tackle it with the parents.:)

childmind04
15-01-2009, 12:28 PM
I get on really well with her and have had many discussion but she will not really listen, she smokes in the car whilst they are in the back etc, think i will start working on the kids, it got my sister to stop :blush:

nell57
15-01-2009, 12:44 PM
I get on really well with her and have had many discussion but she will not really listen, she smokes in the car whilst they are in the back etc, think i will start working on the kids, it got my sister to stop :blush:

Thats sad that she doesn't realise what possible effect that it could be having on her children:(

Twinkles
15-01-2009, 01:07 PM
I used to have this with two lo's from the same family. They used to arrive reeking of smoke ( what must their lungs be like ? ). I used to find all sorts of excuses to change them during the day into clothes I have here as spare.

kindredspirits
15-01-2009, 02:26 PM
:blush: i know it sounds terrible but i wouldn't take on kids who stank of smoke - i would worry that the smell/toxins would get into my own sons lungs. and the smell would make me feel so bad i wouldn't want to get close to them.

mabel
15-01-2009, 02:59 PM
I have never had that...................but I will put aside that cheap bottle
of perfume that someone gave me for christmas

..................it maybe handy one day ! lol

OrlandoBelle
15-01-2009, 03:01 PM
:blush: i know it sounds terrible but i wouldn't take on kids who stank of smoke - i would worry that the smell/toxins would get into my own sons lungs. and the smell would make me feel so bad i wouldn't want to get close to them.

I think I would do the same. For the sake of the other children in my care too.

I haven't had this problem yet but my Nan smokes. I dread going round her house. All of my sons christmas presents from her STANK when he opened them. It's awful.

I also know a couple who both constantly chain smoke in the house. They have a little boy who has chronic asthma....surely that's neglect? Walking into their house is like walking into a huge cloud of smoke. disgusting.:(

HomefromHome
15-01-2009, 03:27 PM

er this is really dangerous! what if ash/cinders/actual cig flew into the back???? my mum n dad smoke and have dd onca a month. they never smoke in the car wi her, and they smoke in their outhouse when they home. as much as i would like them to give up it is up to them - i just asked they respect my wishes wi mydd - i didnt really need to cos they did it anyway. their house doesnt even smell of smoke and they 20 a day people!:)

oh and i an ex smoker!:)

miffy
15-01-2009, 04:21 PM

That made me laugh :) - not a bad idea though

Miffy xx

FizzysFriends
15-01-2009, 04:24 PM

I wouldn't either, Im really sensitive to smoke. When I worked in an open plan office the guy across from me always smelt of smoke and I kept having asthma attacks and they refused to let me move desks so the dr kept signing me off work until they did, which took 3 months of me being off.

angeldelight
15-01-2009, 04:26 PM
That made me laugh :) - not a bad idea though

Miffy xx

Made me laugh and I might try that

The 2 brothers that I mind smell of it and I have the younger one all day - its the clothes - the bags - the buggy
I have tried changing clothes but it lingers still its in their hair everywhere

Horrible and I hate it

Parents never ever smoke at my door though

There is no easy answer apart from throwing the kids outside with the buggy or maybe wearing a mask ha

( kidding :laughing: )

Angel

loocyloo
15-01-2009, 05:53 PM
my parents both smoke ( they do smoke outside, but house/everything smells of smoke ... like you say...christmas presents! ), and my children go and stay for weekends ...

i have always only sent clothes i'm not bothered about, and when they come home, put the children in the bath and wash hair, and wash everything they took ( including cuddly toys! ) ... but never told my mum, as i knew she would be upset, as she thinks by smoking outside it is fine. about a year ago, my DS got mud all over his coat and my mum said she would wash it ... "you don't have to, mummy will wash it when we get home because it will be all smelly" !!!!!!!!!! :blush: fortunatly she took it well! funny thing is, my parents have always smoked and i'm sure it wasn't ever as bad! i am sure cigarettes must be getting stronger or something!

i once turned down a full time baby because the minute mum walked in my house i could smell the smoke, and it was there for ages after she left.

xxx

singlewiththree
15-01-2009, 07:51 PM

My ex used to send the children back to me with all their belonging smelling of cheap perfume as his GF smokes. In the end I had to say to him look please dont do it, I would much prefer the smell of smoke (and he knows how much I hate it and am anti smoking) than the smell of that perfume, I used to choke!