PDA

View Full Version : Advertising

Pipsqueak
27-01-2008, 10:18 PM
OK - I need everyones input here please.

The area I am in is in a real downer at the moment - all the minders in my area are all suffering the same and several are packing up as there are just no enquiries/work happening.

My existing mindee will start f/t school come September and I know its a way of yet but I am getting a bit worried.

I have posters in my car, just about everyone at school/nursery/playgroup/toddler knows I am a minder and that I have vacancies.
I have ads going on in several shop windows, I am just about to do a "flyer" drop into the local hairdressers, laundrette, I have left business cards to pinned up in many of the larger/medium businesses round about. I have updated my CIS ad reguarly. I am "visable" round the local CC's. Surgerys and dentist won't let me leave leaflets:mad: I have listings in the local directories.

What else can I do????? Help.....

Thinking about a promo offer - although I am not sure how a buy one get one free will work:rolleyes:

Trouble
27-01-2008, 10:22 PM
i think people go off word of mouth what about nearest hospital, council office, job centre, supermarket wall, nursery wall, factorys in the area i dont know where you live so im only guessing, im sure you can get some kind of help there was a post about it a little while ago my area doesnt do it but someone else on here knows about it:idea:

Mollymop
27-01-2008, 11:01 PM
l am thinking of doing a leaflet drop through peoples letter boxes near me. As I know there alot of families down my end of town and I hope some of the parents will keep my flyer/leaflet and look me up if and when they need childcare.
It might be worth a try.
Good luck XX

Trouble
27-01-2008, 11:06 PM
ask them to put them up at their works:idea:

angeldelight
28-01-2008, 07:50 AM
You sound like you are doing everything Vik and sound like you have some good ideas

Just wanted to say hope you do fill your places

Good luck

Angel xx

susi513
28-01-2008, 08:45 AM
I know how depressing it can be when enquiries are few & far between. It can be hard to think positive, but as Angel says you're doing the right things already.

Some more ideas:

Keep an eye out for For Sale/Sold signs so you can do a leaflet drop for any new neighbours.

Sounds like you have a few childminders close by. Do you have a good relationship with them? Do you give out each others phone numbers if you get an enquiry you can't take/don't want?

How far away do you think people might travel to use your services?
1 - Any big towns, big businesses/industrial areas/shopping centres/hospitals etc whose employees might not live near you but pass you (or near enough) on their way to work?
2 - Any areas around you that don't have many childminders? I looked at local villages, found one has 22 childminders but others have 2 or less, so gives me a good idea where best to advertise.

Will you take on shift workers? Put this in your ads & target hospitals, fire stations & police stations, Tesco 24 hour stores etc....

When someone declines to let you put your leaflet/poster up, ask why, you might be able to get round it. If its because they say you're commercial then try using a list of local childminders so it looks like a community info poster rather than a sales pitch.

Good luck!

kelly21
28-01-2008, 09:08 AM
Im in the same boat as you, been out of work for a month now. I've had a few enquiries but nothing come of them, its so frustrating and i am wondering if i should get a saturday job somewhere while im not working.
I need the money so much but at the same time i just want to work, i have my daughter home with me but she does go to pre school and im so bored, i just want some kids to look after. im updating all my adverts this week.

LittleMissSparkles
28-01-2008, 09:10 AM
sounds like you've just about got everywhere covered Vik xxx

I also put up in the local hospital on the info boards dotted about and near the restaurant, doctors surgery and local childrens play areas like cheeky chimps and playbarns etc

xxxx

Hope things pick up soon babe xxx

sarah707
28-01-2008, 09:31 AM
I have little to add Vik - except keep ringing CIS... ring them every week and you will pop to the top of the online vacancies... check you are happy with your advert as well and get them to change it if it doesn't sell you.

Good luck :D

twise
28-01-2008, 10:30 AM
My son brings home a school news letter everyweek ( only a word doument) so I approached the school and asked if I could have a little text box advertising my service...they agreed and have to say this worked well.

I also approached the local infants and nursery and asked if they would put one of my business cards in every childs book bag...they did and again I received a very good response.

Hope this helps

Tracy

Pipsqueak
28-01-2008, 12:15 PM
There are some really good suggestions here - thanks everyone.

I have done the local rounds again this morning - updating my flyers, posters and leaving business cards. I am going to start going a little further afield as well and shall hit the industrial estate again on Wednesday (was supposed to be my day off!!:rolleyes: )

Thanks again everyone....

Banana
28-01-2008, 08:52 PM
You have done loads Vik!

I am sure the enquries will come in , its just a bit of a waiting game sometimes. Sending good luck your way

xx