PDA

View Full Version : What should I be recording?

allinatiz
27-01-2008, 10:12 PM
I have a 4 almost 5 year old on my books but I look after him after school a maximum of 6 days in a month and so far have nothing in his file. Reading another thread got me thinking that I should have something but what? Quite often I get him home and either he's too tired or he just wants to act daft until his parents collect him, which is fine by me as he's been at school all day anyway!

Should I really be recording things as he's under 8?

sarah707
27-01-2008, 10:20 PM
When EYFS kicks in, in Sept we will be legally obliged to observe, assess and plan for all children up to the age of 5... we've not been given clear guidance on 5 - 8 year olds yet...

Up til then, I know exactly what you're saying - it all seems a bit much for a child you hardly see.

Personally, I'd start doing some photo obs and make up a little file with their pictures and colourings etc... at least you'll have something to give them with they leave to remember their time with you and you can show photocopies to Ofsted as evidence of your activities...

Next time they finish a jigsaw or make a playdough model, start snapping away and celebrate their achievement! :D

allinatiz
27-01-2008, 10:24 PM
Thank you Sarah!

ajs
27-01-2008, 10:57 PM
thanks from me too sarah although i do have quite a lot of stuff for my 6 year old as i've had her so long but it sort of stopped once she started full time school
and i never have her in the holidays so it's only 1 hour a day max

Pauline
28-01-2008, 07:31 AM
It's well worth getting evidence of any activities (photographic and children's work) just in case you have your inspection at a time when you don't have a particular age group.

On my inspection report the inspector wrote that although I didn't currently care for over 5's I was able evidence a wide range of activities I had provided in the past.

This evidence can then be used, as Sarah says, as part of your obs for EYFS. I always get the children to make at least two things if possible - one to take home and one for the file plus a photo of them working on it. If it's not possible to make two, then it's one to take home and a photo. :)

If the child you are talking about doesn't want to do things but be daft or watch TV then take some pics and do some obs, say what he does when being daft, observe how he watches TV what his favourite programmes are etc. it's all evidence that you have been observing him, you could then plan activities based on his TV preferences.

angeldelight
28-01-2008, 07:33 AM
I agree with Pauline and Sarah

You do not have to go mad - just proof really that you have been doing activities with the children

Angel xx

LittleMissSparkles
28-01-2008, 10:19 AM
I have all the photos I've been taking on disc and need to go and have them printed and put into scrap books to show what we do as Ofsted are due before March !!!!! aaarrrhhhh will take me all next weekend to do that and have just told Luca will decorate his room next weekend xxx

Pipsqueak
28-01-2008, 01:22 PM
I have a file for each child (including my own!) and I put in the formal obs, any bits of work they have done, photos etc. Its all in with their "All About Me" Book where I stick my little obs in (on the sticky labels).