PDA

View Full Version : Messy Play with Rice

Stix
13-01-2009, 07:44 PM
I also run a toddler group. Thursdays are messy days and I'd like to take over some cooked rice for the kids to play with. I was just wondering if anyone has done this and if you have did you use food colouring or leave it white? Does the colouring transfer to fingers/clothes or is it ok to use?

I can't test it as I have no rice in and won't be able to do a practice run.

Thanks

tulip0803
13-01-2009, 10:58 PM
I haven't done it with cooked rice but if you mix a few drops of food colouring into dry rice and then leave it to dry the colour doesn't come out. You can make several colours seperately to make rainbow rice:D

Monkey1
13-01-2009, 11:06 PM
I would do rainbow rice, always a hit here.....even with my 15 year old!

oakie dokie
14-01-2009, 06:21 AM
i would personally not do cooked rice as rice is very prone to salmonella food poisoning once cooked.

SimplyLucy
14-01-2009, 06:52 AM
Rainbow rice is fantastic.

A few drops of food colouring colours quite a lot of rice and drys instantly if you are careful and don't use too much.

I do 3 or 4 colours and place piles of each colour in trays for the children to mix up if they want.

Also great with PVA glue and paper for making pictures.

angeldelight
14-01-2009, 07:31 AM
i would personally not do cooked rice as rice is very prone to salmonella food poisoning once cooked.

Thats a good point actually and one that I never think about
Wouldnt be more prone to salmonella though if it was re-heated ?

Our kids love this activity and so does the local nursery

Hope you have fun

Angel xxx

balloon
14-01-2009, 08:21 AM
Wouldnt be more prone to salmonella though if it was re-heated ?

The bacteria in rice multiplies rapidly at ambient temp so it doesn't need to be reheated to cause food poisoning.

I like the idea of the dry rainbow rice, may give that a try with my little ones, thanks!

ajs
14-01-2009, 08:32 AM
oh that remeinded me we were going to do this today and i forgot to color the rice last night
oh well tomororow will do

angeldelight
14-01-2009, 08:54 AM
Well the kids love this and playing with cold pasta

xx

Nicky
14-01-2009, 10:13 AM
we do the rainbow rice and they all love it, 3 under 3's!

We make pictures, empty and fill containers, make shakers etc.

It is one of the activities that keeps them amused for a long time!!

Nicky

Carol
14-01-2009, 10:49 PM
Never tried colouring rice. Thanks great idea xx

Carol

beerheaven
14-01-2009, 10:58 PM
Never tried colouring rice. Thanks great idea xx

Carol

Me neither! Have done large quantity of rice in playtable on many occasions. Will defo. try rainbow rice!

melanieabigail2004
30-01-2009, 08:14 AM
Mix dry rice with colour and bake in the oven for about 5 mins (or until dry). Colour doesn't then come off

Mel

miffy
30-01-2009, 08:22 AM
Mix dry rice with colour and bake in the oven for about 5 mins (or until dry). Colour doesn't then come off

Mel

Have not heard of baking it before - it's usually OK but I know if the little ones have very hot hands the colour does come off

Thanks Mel, will try your idea

Miffy xx

Happy Feet
12-02-2009, 07:29 PM
Rainbow rice sounds fantastic!!! Gotta give that a go!! xx

pinklady
26-03-2009, 10:19 PM
Staying on the rice theme.....I went on a sensory play course the other day and the tutor had put rice (uncooked!!) into her home made play dough which really did make it quite different to touch.

Will be trying all your rice ideas too!:thumbsup:

Shar
27-03-2009, 02:23 PM
Thanks for the rainbow rice idea, sounds fun. :thumbsup:

SandCastles
14-04-2009, 12:33 PM
Rainbow rice for my little ones to play with tomorrow, thanks for the fantastic idea. :)

Chanelle
14-04-2009, 01:13 PM

If you cook the rice with food coloring in the water it will colour it enough to see a difference... Once cooked run under the freezing cold tap to kill off any bacteria that causes salmonella . This activity we do at nursery all the time and never had any cases.