PDA

View Full Version : would this be a problem for fire evacuation?

mozarella
13-01-2009, 10:44 AM
The windows in my lounge only open at the top, i wouldnt be able to evacuate through the window but would have to go via the hall way to the main entrance door

FizzysFriends
13-01-2009, 10:50 AM
All my windows only have small openers at the top, except the landing. Whilst you wouldn't allowed to put windows in like this anymore, there are things you can do should you need to get out of the room and can't use the hall.

Eg in my lounge if there was a fire in the hall I would smash the window with the coffee table (at the corner of the windoow), put the sofa cushions on the window ledge which would cover the rough glass left in the window frame the pass the children out the window.

Without changing the windows there is little you can do but plan thourougly

mozarella
13-01-2009, 12:27 PM
All my windows only have small openers at the top, except the landing. Whilst you wouldn't allowed to put windows in like this anymore, there are things you can do should you need to get out of the room and can't use the hall.

Eg in my lounge if there was a fire in the hall I would smash the window with the coffee table (at the corner of the windoow), put the sofa cushions on the window ledge which would cover the rough glass left in the window frame the pass the children out the window.

Without changing the windows there is little you can do but plan thourougly

Thanks, I though of smashing the window if need be but wanted to make sure it wouldnt be a problem and we dont really want to pay out for new windows

rickysmiths
13-01-2009, 04:02 PM
Oh my word! I Dont like the sound of smashing windows very dangerous.especially with panicing children around.

I would ask your local fire brigade to do a safety visit for you. I did this last year I invited a cm friend round so she could keep a eye on the children. the children loved it cause they were all allowed on the Fire engine, got some graet pics. Sorry I've gone off track!

I have solid wood doors to every room, inherited when we moved in. These are very good because they hold the fire back for uo to 2hrs. they advised putting a towel or rug along the bottom of the door to hold back smoke and make sure I carry my mobile in my pocket at all times.

Ofsted had suggested that if we were caught upstairs I should throw a matress out the window and jump!!!!!!!!! Have you ever tried to pick up a matress on your own never mind throw it out of the window.!!!! The firemen were horrified at this advice and said just try and stay together in 1 room if you cant get out call and wait. They said they would deal with getting us out rather than scrapping us up off the floor!!!!! and assured me they would get to us fast.