PDA

View Full Version : Netmums childcare ads good or bad thing for us?

yummymummy
13-01-2009, 10:34 AM
I have posted on here before about how successful is this. But recently a lady has been calling locally through FIS, she wanted care term time only for 2 very long days but only wanted to pay term time too as she had school holidays off although her job was paid all year.
I assume that she had no joy with this so has put an advert on netmums stating her terms and asking any interested childminders to contact her. From my slightly cynical point of view she is trying to find a childminder to do what she wants, but from another prospective it can be looked at that she is only trying to contact childminders who would be interested in term time, no holiday fees payable only.
Just be interested to hear what some others think?

devoncm
13-01-2009, 10:39 AM
I wouldnt mind just term time and not paying for hols as long as i had holiday children to cover the space iyswim.
They would however if holiday taken in term time this would still be at full rate.
Its a bit cheeky but maybe if you dont have holiday children to cover could up the rate a little bit for term time ones dont know how effective that is tho

FizzysFriends
13-01-2009, 10:58 AM
I think thats a good idea, it saves her time ringing everyone and it stops chldminders getting their hopes up/house ready etc if its going to be a non starter.

I don't charge for holidays for term time only children as I like to be able to spend time with my DD in the holidays with just a couple of extras rather than a house full.

Jules27
13-01-2009, 01:01 PM
I have both term time only contracts and holiday only ones too. I guess as long as you can fill the spaces in the hols its fine. It is saving her time having to contact loads of childminders!!!:)

yummymummy
13-01-2009, 01:06 PM
Hadn't thought of it in those terms, we in our area would be bankrupt if we waited to fill holiday spaces as we never get offered them so have to protect our income somehow. It never ceases to amaze me how the childcare situation is so different in one area to another, we really struggle to fill places here, yet it seems some of you fill them easily as I did up to 5 years ago. Beware wraparound care it has obliterated childminding here!

Chatterbox Childcare
13-01-2009, 01:10 PM
It is only two days and I would enhance you term time rate a bit to cover.

I do contracts for teachers term time and others holiday time.

Ripeberry
13-01-2009, 02:04 PM
When i'm set up i'm only doing term time only as my husband likes to go on holiday at the drop of a hat when the schools are off and anyway i would like to spend some time with my daughters as well.
Another reason is that around here we are surrounded by lots of holiday clubs and after school clubs that are open in the holidays and they have lots of spaces but they charge MUCH less than i would be willing to do.
Also i can't be seen competing against our local after school club as i'm part of the joint committee!:o
Is this lady anywhere near me?

ladylipgloss
13-01-2009, 02:09 PM
I think its a good idea too. Saves her ringing loads of different childminders who say they want pay for school hols.
I have a term time only mindee at the moment 3 days per week and it suits me down to the ground because i have 3 of my own that i like spending time with in the hols. Mindees mum offered to pay me 1/3 during hols which i accepted because it was silly not to. However, we added up the yearly fee and split equally over 12 months so that it's easier for us both to budget each month ifywim. I have another vacancy now and would love another term time only mindee but i can't afford to be choosy.

yummymummy
13-01-2009, 04:27 PM
When i'm set up i'm only doing term time only as my husband likes to go on holiday at the drop of a hat when the schools are off and anyway i would like to spend some time with my daughters as well.
Another reason is that around here we are surrounded by lots of holiday clubs and after school clubs that are open in the holidays and they have lots of spaces but they charge MUCH less than i would be willing to do.
Also i can't be seen competing against our local after school club as i'm part of the joint committee!:o
Is this lady anywhere near me?

Couldn't be much further away, London!

mandy moo
14-01-2009, 09:24 AM
I would love to do just term time and then be able to spend the school hols with my two.
Parents seem to want care all year, mind you that could be because we have no after school clubs or anything like that in the village.

samgeordie
14-01-2009, 09:55 AM
i would say its a good idea as most childminders probably look on netmums (I know i do) and all minders have different vacancies/needs so it may indeed suit someone. I would consider term time only enquiries.

I got one of my mindees through netmums, its a good way of finding childcare.

sammy
14-01-2009, 10:36 AM
Hi, im in coulsdon yummymummy, where are you from? just wondered? i actually replied to her message, i didnt get a reply back, but then i didnt have any spaces, i was just explaining that i do term time only and dont charge in holidays, only because i have 3 minded children like that.

But i dont think its a bad thing, its probably quite helpful for her so she hasnt got to go everywhere to fidn someone.

I wish though that i did charge a retainer now as i do lose out big time in the holidays, what does everyone else do, do you charge for holidays? I wonder if i should change my fees etc, as i never get offered holiday care.