PDA

View Full Version : Trampolines

aly
12-01-2009, 10:08 PM
Hi

I bought a trampoline off ebay for £10 aaaaaaaaaaaaaaages ago and the kids love it. I finally got around to getting an enclosure {bought it from woolies a couple of weeks ago for £17.50!!}

Anyway it says on the enclosure box that under 6 not allowed??? is that right?? my 2 boys {1 being3} plays on it, my little girl sits ont here with the boys too but any of you got one?? what age is the youngest you have allowed on there?

crazybones
12-01-2009, 10:09 PM
I was told by Ofsted at inspection that trampolines were OK with signed permission and using the Manufacturers recommendations ie age ranges. If you were to have an accident with a child of the wrong age your insurance is invalid.

Chatterbox Childcare
12-01-2009, 10:09 PM
I didn't have that on mine and all ages use it.

If you are using it for your mindees you must have parental permission or you do not have insurance to cover it (NCMA and MM).

Pipsqueak
12-01-2009, 10:12 PM
A 9 month old (not a mindee) - with me on with him, no other children and no bouncing. I allowed him to crawl and explore. He soon discovered he could sit or kneel and "bounce", he giggled his head of and loves it. When he got round to learning to walk - it became a great run around - it was so funny to watch him trying to figure out how to bounce on his feet.

They recommend that young children don't go but thats because of potentially fatal accidents. With very close supervision and rules - most children should be ok - but at the end of the day its up to you. I have found the older the child the more daredevil they become and the more they pull at the enclosure:angry:

If its mindees I would stick to the recommended ages and most definately get written parental permissions

aly
12-01-2009, 10:22 PM
A 9 month old (not a mindee) - with me on with him, no other children and no bouncing. I allowed him to crawl and explore. He soon discovered he could sit or kneel and "bounce", he giggled his head of and loves it. When he got round to learning to walk - it became a great run around - it was so funny to watch him trying to figure out how to bounce on his feet.

They recommend that young children don't go but thats because of potentially fatal accidents. With very close supervision and rules - most children should be ok - but at the end of the day its up to you. I have found the older the child the more daredevil they become and the more they pull at the enclosure:angry:

If its mindees I would stick to the recommended ages and most definately get written parental permissions
my daughter is 17mo....and she has now figured out how to bounce on her knees. lol

I think I will also mention it with my inspector on wed, I do have the small child trampoline too which is similar to THIS (http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Search?storeId=10001&langId=-1&q=TRAMPOLINE&pp=20&c_1=1%7Ccat_10198115%7CPre-school+toys%7C10198132&canned_results_trigger=%28free_text%3D%3D%28+TRAMP OLINE%29%29%28mode%3Dpage%3D%28+SEARCH_x2B_NAV%29% 29%28cfg%3Dgrouped_display%3D%28+_x30_%29%29%28cfg %3Danswers_per_page%3D%28+_x32_0%29%29)so should be ok as they are age 3.

SimplyLucy
12-01-2009, 10:33 PM
I used to put my son on the trampoline (with an enclosure) from quite young, probably about 8 months. I would do this so he could be in the garden and safe whilst I hung the washing out. I used to give him toys in there too!

Obviously I'd never leave a child on a trampoline and I have a "one at a time" rule at my house.

Ensure you have signed permission for trampoline use.

beerheaven
12-01-2009, 11:13 PM
We had a bad incident with a trampoline in the early summer. My four year old daughter broke her leg on one!
It had an enclosure but I feel it gave her a false sense of security and she was bouncing around rather too energetically! She slipped awkwardly, fell and somehow managed to break her leg just below the knee joint.
Obviously I am rather twitchy about trampolines now and to be honest I feel happier when an enclosure is not present. Know that sounds strange!

childmind04
13-01-2009, 07:59 AM
We had a big trampoline but it was taking too much of my garden, i have just bought the small red and black one from argos just for younger children for £12 :)

Pipsqueak
13-01-2009, 08:26 AM
We had a bad incident with a trampoline in the early summer. My four year old daughter broke her leg on one!
It had an enclosure but I feel it gave her a false sense of security and she was bouncing around rather too energetically! She slipped awkwardly, fell and somehow managed to break her leg just below the knee joint.
Obviously I am rather twitchy about trampolines now and to be honest I feel happier when an enclosure is not present. Know that sounds strange!

In part I agree with you about enclosures. When I was young (many many moons ago) we had a trampoline and there where no such things as enclosures. Not once did me, my sister or any other youngsters using it ever hurt ourselves or have an accident. We (sis and I) eventually went to to lessons and became quite acrobatic on it (no hope of that nowa days lol).
When we first had our (for my family) trampoline I did not have netting as I felt it gave the children a false sense of security too - and tbh i still believe that now. Again the only accidents we have had on it - is my eldest trying to bounce over the netting :rolleyes: and when getting of the trampoline he throught inside of climbing down sensibly he jumped of the side and broke his arm:rolleyes: :rolleyes: .

patevans
13-01-2009, 08:54 AM
I HATE :angry: my trampoline, I want to get rid of it even though the kids love it!! I have permission forms and a policy in place but..............I hate it , i hate it, I hate it!!!!

mandy moo
13-01-2009, 02:59 PM
I have a 12ft trampoline and with enclosure and only 2 at a time are allowed.
I have it stipulated on my registration its not to be used by the childminded children.
Simply coz Im scared they may hurt themselves or worse!
My own 2 have been on a trampoline course, but even they still get a bit silly sometimes and they were told of the dangers, on the course! AndI always give them the worse case scenario also!

Schnakes
16-01-2009, 08:22 PM
On a recent Risk Assessment course I went on we were told to tell our insurer or Ofsted (sorry cant remember which one!!) that we have a trampoline.

Sx

Chatterbox Childcare
16-01-2009, 10:22 PM
On a recent Risk Assessment course I went on we were told to tell our insurer or Ofsted (sorry cant remember which one!!) that we have a trampoline.

Sx

You don't need to tell either but to be covered you must have written parental permission

Ripeberry
16-01-2009, 10:27 PM
I have a trampoline and i let my 6yr old and 4yr old play on it. BUT i've written in my policies that the trampoline is for 6yrs + and that my insurance would be invalid.
I do have a little trampete with a handle for the little ones. At least with an enclosure i can 'lock it' if need be. You just can't take any risks!

mandysmonkeys
17-01-2009, 02:09 PM
I got a 12 ft oone as well with enclosure. I have some rules of use drafted up. I thought If I get some older children one of their first activities with me could be to right up rules, draw safety posters etc and I will have a one at a time rule hbut first got to get my three into the habbit of using it one at a time.

Also when Ofsted was here for pre-reg she said how much she like it and was pleased I had an enclose then she went onto say that I could take smaller children onto with me. I was quite suprised but not as suprised has when she said the 12 ft pool was also fine as lomng as I had parental permission. lol but i don't think so really

Helpinghands
19-01-2009, 08:02 AM
I was told during my pre reg we wern't allowed to have one. Unless we had 4 adults supervising it......1 at each side!! Crazy stuff

aly
19-01-2009, 08:48 AM
I was told during my pre reg we wern't allowed to have one. Unless we had 4 adults supervising it......1 at each side!! Crazy stuff
is that because there is no enclosure?

Helpinghands
19-01-2009, 10:36 AM
No thats with an enclosure. I know it sounds a bit harsh but I havnt bothered just encase. They can still break their neck jumping on it aswell as falling off it.

taiwallis
19-01-2009, 12:36 PM
I would never allow my mindees onto a trampoline during my care. I did a somersault on one 3 yrs ago - actually it was a clients one in their garden and as i did trampolining at school the girls wanted to see what i could do - I did 1 somersault, ended up with my knee in my face - knocked 6 top teeth - 2 cleanly out, and they ended up in my knee. Split all my lips inside. Had to wait ages for an ambulance to come - they then cant move you until the trampoline has been stablized in case of kneck injury. I have now had 3 yrs of bone grafting, and had teeth implants. It has been horrific, although i look completely normal now. I just never would want a child to go through what i went through. I now have to be xrayed yearly to make sure that the bone is still holding the implants in place.
Just something to think about when there are too many on the trampoline and/or you turn your back for a second. I wouldnt want to be the one calling a mindees parents to give them the bad news.
xxx

Lincsminder
19-01-2009, 01:38 PM
i let all ages on mine but only 1 at a time because if a larger child bounces on to a smaller one it could be nasty. The other thing is, on a round trampoline if only one child is on they should never bounce off as it will always bounce them back in to the middle. That said with my own children I do allow them on together as they are smaller and not bouncing to high. NO SOMERSAULTS though.