PDA

View Full Version : Questions

donnadoo2004200
12-01-2009, 07:13 PM
Hi, I have got a potential parents coming on Fri for fulltime care for their daughter, she is currently at a nursery but they informed the parent the fees were going to increase substatially in April £70 per day wow. Just wondered what sort of questions I should ask? Should I offer them a drink? Should I play with their child? What should I put in the parent pack for them to browse at not take away, why should they choose me as there are a lot of minders in my area (Bristol). Im so nervous, I do have 1 child already but that was different as I know the parents already. Please help.

Pipsqueak
12-01-2009, 07:22 PM
Just be you. Take a deep breathe before you answer the door and put a smile on.

Have some toys out ready for the child, interact but don't impose yourself on the child (remember you are a stranger to him/her).

Yes offer the parents a cuppa and while you are preparing it (not best china lol) give them your information (brochure, references, portfolio/pictures, certificates, some basic P&P's) to read through. Make sure nothing has your EY number visible on at the moment though.

Ask them for essential info - like hours, times etc, talk them through basics such as settling in, fees and payments etc. Ask them about their child - likes, dislikes, how she found nursery, ask them what their expectations are you and your setting. What do they know about childminders?

Keep smiling, its ok to admit that you are a little nervous as they probably will be - what they are looking for is someone who has similar values and ideals to them who will put their child first, don't be afraid to NOT commit to things on the spot.

Before they go try to get a date (1/2 weeks, 10 days perhaps) of when they will possibly get back to you with a yay or nay or would like another visit (make it clear that they are welcome t have another visit) etc

Good luck

Andrea08
12-01-2009, 07:25 PM
wow well first calm down,
offer a drink and ask what the child may like,
settle into confortable area and have good toys out for the child you have and the family arriving,
ask parents what their needs are,,times days etc and write it down on your pad,
tell them you have a place for that age and requirements,,,(looking very proffecional)
ask what they are expecting what needs the child may have and what was offered at the nursery and tell them if you can match their expectations,
what extras you offer like trips out etc,
at the end tell parents that if they want your place that a deposit needs to be paid on friday and contracts signed so that you will hold that place for them.

others will give other advice too but thats just for starters ok
good luck and let us know how you get on kk xxx

donnadoo2004200
12-01-2009, 09:14 PM
Thanks guys

rickysmiths
12-01-2009, 09:40 PM
If its any help. I am hopeless with bits of paper and found I was mislaying notes so I created a folder that I keep near the phone.

I created a sheet with headings:

Name
Address
phone /mobile
Care required days times required start date
age of child name DOB

PLUS a short list of what to cover at an interview:
show around areas used for minding
settle down and offer drink
talk briefly about hours settling in routines food holidays etc
show portfolio, references and letters cards from parents, outings and activity folder which has examples of childrens work and photos in .
Example Parent Folder - this has a contract, child info form, insurance cert pub liabily one, copy of reg cert, copy of my latest OFSTED report, policies, consent form, sample menu and a plan of a typical day.

By doing this it meant that I remembered to ask the right questions on the phone and can check off as I taik through things at the meeting. and I can find notes later!!!

It is vital that none of the info has your registration number on especially the Parent Folder which I sometimes let people take home to read throughly.

I also hve a brochure out lining my businss and I usually post or deliver one to the family prior to a visit.

Above all relax and smile.

Ripeberry
12-01-2009, 09:57 PM
Why can't you show your Ofsted reg no? Is it because they may try to pinch it to get tax credits? Do you tell the parents why it's not shown? Or do you just tell them it is shown on the contract once it is signed?
Does this mean you have to hide you registration certificate you are supposed to display in your house?
I know we have to be carefull, but won't it make some parents think that we can't trust them :(

Pipsqueak
12-01-2009, 10:00 PM
Yes it has been known for some people to get registration numbers and falsly claim:rolleyes: .

I don't give out my EY number till contracts are signed. My certificate is on display - but I cover the first three or four digits with a tiny piece of paper.

rickysmiths
12-01-2009, 11:31 PM
Yes you do have to hide it . What I do is scan all my cert etc into the comuter so I can copy for parents any way. thenyou can blot out the reg numbers and keep those copies in the portfolios etc.

Sorry but poeple have been known to have their numbers misused, happened to me and the insuing inland revenue investgation was not something anyone would want- fine toothcomb eat your heart out.

Remove the numbers.