PDA

View Full Version : How much do you bend over to get a mindee?

singlewiththree
12-01-2009, 03:10 PM
I was just wondering if I am too rigid in my planning that I wont go and collect a child if it will mean having to take the car so that we can get around on time instead of walking.

How far (not necessarily miles) have you gone to get a mindee? and do you regret it?

rickysmiths
12-01-2009, 03:24 PM
I wont commit to collecting a mindee I have 6 arriving here some mornings from 7.15 -8.30 so a regular arrangment wouldnt be possible. I have in an emergncy though, but the parents know I can only do that before hubby goes to work so it has to be before 7.30am.

I have taken home though I had one a few years ago and we picked him up as we walked to school in the morning and delivered him home on they way back from school in the afternoon. Spose it depends on your routines and what would happen if others join you?

yummymummy
12-01-2009, 04:48 PM
I was prepared to collect two before schoolers when mum was running late which ended up being 3 days out of 5 because I had to virtually pass the house on school run, and have collected another one on the way home from the school run as again was passing the door, school 2 miles from home so had to drive. But what I will never ever do again is get conned into feeling sorry for a mum like I did who said it would make her sons day too long if she collected him from me every day and ended up dropping him home twice a week. I did this for 5 years and got so utterly fed up with it and felt so used, I often dropped him home to be met at the door with car keys in hand to take him with her to do to weekly shop or go to hairdressers, beauty parlour etc and she never minded the long day for him then!:angry:
I would also say that although I was doing these two mums a massive favour I never got thanked for it and they got the hump if I couldn't do it for some reason or other.:censored:
I would say stick to your guns, we provide home based childcare not taxi service!

Chatterbox Childcare
12-01-2009, 04:50 PM
I don't collect at all and only drop off when I can (not too often)

I start as I mean to go on and then mellow as the mindees/parents settle in and I can read the situation. If I feel that I am being taken granted off then I won't offer - or if it is too cold!!

madasahatter
12-01-2009, 06:07 PM
I don't collect from or drop off children at their homes. It's up to the parents to get their children to me. If they are late and I'm on the school run (we always walk as school approx 300m away) then they have to wait.
Having said that I do make exceptions if we go out somewhere and I keep the children longer than normal. When this happens I ask the parent which they would prefer, to collect from my home or have me drop the child off at their home. Mind you the furthest that any of my mindees lives from me is 1.5 miles, most are within 1/2 mile.

Andrea08
12-01-2009, 06:28 PM
I work with the teen parent network and i do help as much as i can and this sometimes means picking mum and baby up, taking mum to college and later sometimes taking them home too,
on early starts they get a taxi and then a bus to college and if they are late i have to leave for the school runs so she has to wait for my return.
if we do pick-up and drop -off at least we know the time we start and finish lol

if its too much to commit yourself to then dont start, remember unless they can afford to pay you for all 6 placements then the other mindees are important too ,,
good luck

Rubybubbles
12-01-2009, 06:44 PM
I work with the teen parent network and i do help as much as i can and this sometimes means picking mum and baby up, taking mum to college and later sometimes taking them home too,
on early starts they get a taxi and then a bus to college and if they are late i have to leave for the school runs so she has to wait for my return.
if we do pick-up and drop -off at least we know the time we start and finish lol

if its too much to commit yourself to then dont start, remember unless they can afford to pay you for all 6 placements then the other mindees are important too ,,
good luck

I also work on teen parent network and I collect and drop off the children each day I have them. TBH I never would of done this before but it is for 2 children and not worth saying no too! I am lucky to have mindies that also fit in around pick up and drop off times:clapping:

RedDragon
12-01-2009, 07:13 PM
I've never been asked to drop off but have offered if needed - but only as a 1 off (and it's been only a little out of my way).

Today I had to be in 4 places 1 after the other in quick succession - school pick up, pre school pick up, drop one off for English lesson, drop one off by "big school" - all within 20 mins and walking.

I have gone out of my way in the past (walking a long way for 1 parent so that her child could stay at her preferred PreSchool) only for parent to give me notice as soon as child was at school.

I am lucky in that there is plenty of work here (at the moment) and I am able to pick and choose - if work was scarce I would be far more flexible - never had to bend over for a parent yet though :D (although there was 1 that made my knees knock a little):eek:

Tily Bud
12-01-2009, 08:21 PM
I must be a soft touch :rolleyes:

I usec to collect a child at 7am evey morning and drop off again at 3.30pm x I also regularly collect children on the way home from school in the morning although these are on my way x

mandy moo
13-01-2009, 06:31 PM
All but 1 get dropped and picked up from here, the 16mth old I pick up after ive dropped my 2 boys at school, simply be coz he lives 5 doors away from school, and it suits me at the mo.
Mum picks him up from here on way home from work.

Jules12Wed
13-01-2009, 06:39 PM
I sometimes drop 7 year old off, sometimes its easier cos its short and sweet and I make the decision to say goodbye, when Mum comes to my house she sometimes stands and chats for an hour, and tbh I don't want that at the end of the day I just want them out of my house -hope that doesn't sound too harsh!

sammy
14-01-2009, 07:27 PM
i collect one of mindees and drop him home for 2 reasons.

1. so that the mum isnt late in collecting (she had a bad habit of this before
he started nursery)

2. convenient too as its on the way to my sons nursery, so i drop my son off,
pick up the mindee, then take mindee home 2hours later, then get my son.

but i only do this because it suits me, even though the mum must be very happy she doesnt have to take time out of her 2 hours travelling to and from my house.

But i wouldnt bend over backwards, if they dont want to work with me, or at least compromise, theres always more kids in the sea!!!