PDA

View Full Version : Work Experience

kellyb
12-01-2009, 08:07 AM
Hi everyone,

was wondering if you could help me, Ive been asked by a set of parents whose 2 month old baby will be starting with me in June, if her older sister whose is 14 can do work experience with me in July, has anyone had an older child do work experience with them? What do I need to do?? Any advice / help would be great

Many thanks in advance

Kelly

PixiePetal
12-01-2009, 08:11 AM
I would be interested too as DD is 14 and will need to do work experience placement.

Jen x

cuddlybunny38
12-01-2009, 08:42 AM
I did this a lone time ago for a neighbours daughter, the collage arrange it though as she was 17. so not really sure I just said it would be ok and checked with the parents.

Schnakes
12-01-2009, 08:52 AM
I dont know about work experience, but for students you need to get permission from the parents. The person needs to be CRB checked if they are over 16. You also need to inform Ofsted and your insurance provider. NCMA does not cover you, Morton Michel does (within your regular insurance).

Apart from that I think there are general rules about smoking and mobile phone use etc but since those rules would apply to you, its common sense that they would also apply to the student.

Its also an idea to introduce to the student to the parents, but considering the hours some of the parents work its not always practical.

Oh - also, they cant take photos of the children or use their names in any report.

Sx

wendywu
12-01-2009, 09:16 AM
I thought that a child could not have a work Experience place where they were on a one to one with another adult. This was the case when my 20 year old did it. But that may have changed. :)

cuddlybunny38
12-01-2009, 09:27 AM
At the time I did it I was with m/m. The girl came 2 days a week for about 4 months, cant really remember, Know there were rules and bits to follow.

kellyb
12-01-2009, 02:06 PM
I dont know about work experience, but for students you need to get permission from the parents. The person needs to be CRB checked if they are over 16. You also need to inform Ofsted and your insurance provider. NCMA does not cover you, Morton Michel does (within your regular insurance).

Apart from that I think there are general rules about smoking and mobile phone use etc but since those rules would apply to you, its common sense that they would also apply to the student.

Its also an idea to introduce to the student to the parents, but considering the hours some of the parents work its not always practical.

Oh - also, they cant take photos of the children or use their names in any report.

Sx

What about mobile phone use?? Is there something you know, that I dont? If you could ellaborate on that would be grateful.

Does anyone have anymore info?

The girl in question is 14, so anymore info??

kellyb
14-01-2009, 12:23 PM
Hi everyone

Just bumping this up..

Anyone else have any advice on what I should do?

Andrea08
14-01-2009, 12:40 PM
well hun i woud ring ofsted and get it straight form them ,,you are considering it and what would need to be put into place?
its odd because we can mind children/young adults till they are 16yrs old so she could be another mindee!!!

Chatterbox Childcare
14-01-2009, 01:22 PM
It is okay as long as the 14 year old is within your numbers, you have parental permission and that they are not left in alone with the children.

miss sunshine
14-01-2009, 07:47 PM
hi i had a work experience girl come for two weeks from the local high school last july, the school sent me a form out to agree to it, then i had a check from their health and saftey officer nothing too scary was here about 15 mins just asked about breaks, toilet facilities, travelling in the car and to check i had employee's public liability insurance which i got from ringing my insurance company up and i got it free as it was for a student. i would definately do it again as was quite rewarding. the young girl actually said she thought all 14 yr olds should do this for two weeks as it would stop alot of under age pregnacies as she didn't realise how demanding and hard it was but she did enjoy herself and she pops in quite regular to say hi to everyone

roseybev
14-01-2009, 07:54 PM
i asked and was told that i had to count her in my numbers because she was under 16