PDA

View Full Version : Anyone use a conservatory for a playroom?

Cazz
11-01-2009, 11:13 PM
If so, how to do you heat it and what temperature would the Ofsted inspector expect the room to be?

We had a conservatory built off our kitchen and a large radiator put in there which is taken off our kitchen radiator (possibly part of the problem). The radiator doesn't seem to be able to heat the conservatory enough and it's really chilly in there most of the time at the moment - we don't get any sun on the conservatory as it's a North facing garden. It hasn't been a problem before as we just haven't used it much in the winter but I want to have this as the main room for minding (although the kitchen/diner will be for cooking and arts/crafts and the lounge for a quiet room or for older children to watch tv or play on the wii).

What other form of heating would Ofsted find acceptable from a safety point of view? I need to get this sorted before my pre-reg as I think the inspector will say it's too cold and I really need to register this room.

Carole x

wendywu
11-01-2009, 11:17 PM
I have a plumbed in rad, then as an extra a wall mounted electrical one, the ones that are very very thin and dont cost a lot to run.

Ofsted were fine with this.

emmadines
11-01-2009, 11:28 PM
I have an electric one, all I told ofsted was that the rad is on when the mindees are not there to warm it up and then off when they are in there, as longs as you can show the mindees will be safe then Im sure they will be fine.

sarah707
12-01-2009, 07:52 AM
I have an electric fire.

I find once it's warm it's fine and I heat it when the children aren't near it so I don't have to get a silly cover.

I keep it at about 16 - 18c and it's fine in there :D

hbomb1
12-01-2009, 09:45 AM
My conservatory is used solely as a play area. We have got a radiator in there which is usually set at 3, and we have got underfloor heating which is set at 26 degrees throughout winter. In summer however it gets too hot as our house is south facing so I tend not to use the conservatory as much then, plus I find that toys fade in the sun.

We have also got vertical blinds which I think makes the conservatory a bit warmer.

Alibali
12-01-2009, 01:26 PM
I have an oil filled heater in mine and it has a thermostat on it, I put it high to warm it up before kids come and then keep it on at a low temp to maintain the heat. I also have on of those foldable fire screens which fits round it nicely if needed.

My roof blinds have made a big difference, especially in the summer when it can get very warm.

Rubybubbles
12-01-2009, 01:31 PM
My conservatory is used solely as a play area. We have got a radiator in there which is usually set at 3, and we have got underfloor heating which is set at 26 degrees throughout winter. In summer however it gets too hot as our house is south facing so I tend not to use the conservatory as much then, plus I find that toys fade in the sun.

We have also got vertical blinds which I think makes the conservatory a bit warmer.

sounds like a dream;)

My garden is south facing and I spend most of the time with my curtains closed lol

Delly
12-01-2009, 02:33 PM
i use my conservatory as playroom, we have a radiator in there but due to the large size of the room it isn't enough, so we bought one of those electric heaters which we put on a timer in the winter so the room is generally about 18 degrees all the time which is fine.
In the summer, we open the doors out on to the garden and the roof light and windows and up to now it has been ok.

Ofsted came to me last week and they didn't even mention the temperature of the conservatory.

Jules12Wed
12-01-2009, 02:39 PM
My conservatory was the room that I got picked up on at my inspection. She came on a hot day and as my garden is south facing it does tend to get very hot and so on my report it says about managng the termperature of my house but it is only the conservatory!!!

To be honest all my toys etc are out there but we bring them into the living room the children very rarely play out there and it is not like on a boiling hot day I won't let the in the house and make them bake in the conservatory.

I was supposed to do something about it before my next inspection but that was two years ago so got one more year to sort it. JUST DON'T KNOW HOW!!!!

mummyroysof3
12-01-2009, 03:05 PM
would they not be happy with you saying that you wont use the room if it is over a certain temp?

charlotte x

sarah707
12-01-2009, 06:01 PM
I have an air cooler from B&Q to use in the summer. It blows air over freezer blocks and it's lovely.

I also have a fan if it gets really hot but the air cooler usually does the job :D

mum2two
12-01-2009, 06:05 PM
Hubby plumbed a rad in ours - but it doesn't really help much. It's cold first thing in the morning, but once the kids have got in there, it soon warms up. Just goes cold again in the evening.

We are going to get underfloor heating before next winter though. We wanted it this winter - but just haven't had the money to do it yet.