PDA

View Full Version : UNDER 3's - To plan or not to plan????

misst104
11-01-2009, 02:37 PM
Hi there. I was speaking to a friend of mine on Friday who is a registered childminder and she has been told by someone else that it is not a requirement of Ofsted that you do obs and planning for the under 3's. Just wondered if anyone can clarify that???

MissTinkerbell
11-01-2009, 03:10 PM
Don't quote me but I don't think that this is the case. Observation and then planning from those observations are at the heart of the EYFS and as the EYFS covers children from birth to 5 then planning and observations for under-3s are part of that. My mindee is 2 and I've done detailed obs and planning (the teacher in me) and had my Ofsted in Nov - no mention from inspector that I didn't need to be doing it.

Pipsqueak
11-01-2009, 03:13 PM
yes we still need to be doing obs on under 3's and your planning isn't going to be precise - planning regardless of age follows the childs abilities, interests and those magic moments where you might just go of on a tangent. We all know that children change so rapidly - especially their minds so next week you might plan to do xxxx because child has shown interest this week but come next week child likes doing..... if you follow me. Planning is based loosely around the child - but incorporating their interest and next steps

sarah707
11-01-2009, 04:55 PM
The eyfs goes from birth to the end of reception year.

The regulations are law and are very clear about obs, planning etc.

I think what your friend might have meant is that you do not necessarily need to plan themed activities for the under 3s. Their play is much more led by their interests and the things they want to do, with you supporting them by providing relevant resources, time, vocabulary etc.

You will still observe the children, see what they are doing, recognise their learning styles and plan things you know will interest and excite them.

As children move towards their 3rd birthdays, they start to need more structure and this is when you begin thinking about organising their days to make sure you are including more specifically planned activiites.

Hth :D

teacake2
11-01-2009, 05:29 PM
At present I only have one 15 month old who I do not really do strict planning with, what he has is a book split into the 6 areas, under these headings I have lists of activities that we do and each week I pick out something specifically to do with him, i.e. learning actions for the rhymes we are singing, after a few tries of this I will do a short observation on him to see if he is able to understand what is wanted of him, has he enjoyed it etc. I write the next steps and mark it in the book and a date that I will probably review it again.
He only comes 2 days a week so I don't have a lot of time to do masses of observations on him anyway. ( I got the idea of doing it this way from? need I mention this revered person's name).
This seems to work for me, but as we all know we all do things our own way that fits our setting.
This is why I like this forum, we can all take advice from everyone else and hope that we can all benefit.:clapping: :clapping: :clapping:
Teacake2

misst104
11-01-2009, 10:05 PM
Thanks for advice. I am a qualified nursery nurse and have looked after hundreds of under 3's in my experience in various settings so I am not worried about planning for them ( its what I do!). Just wanted to confirm whats required within a childminding setting (as I am totally new to this area of early years). This site is Fab for getting the answers :thumbsup: