PDA

View Full Version : Has anybody bought their NCMA membership online?

Willowdancer
11-01-2009, 10:48 AM
I am confused as the woman who led our course seemed to be indicating that it costs £138(?) to join and you get the fire blanket etc as part of that cost.

Their website (http://www.ncma-maidstone.co.uk/shop/) is a bit confusing though. Membership seems to be £61, and then by the time you've added on all the options (public liability insurance, employers liability insurance, tools of the trade file case and the fire blanket its saying £169.90.

Has anybody just bought the membership and insurances and not bothered with the rest? I'm pretty good with Word etc so I can do my own forms, and you can get a fire blanket for a lot less than £20!

Thanks!

rickysmiths
11-01-2009, 02:21 PM
I have been a member since 1994 and use the NCMA paper work. I think you have to pay for membership, approx £67 plus a one off joining fee of £15
You then add your public liability insurance. You dont need the Employees insurance nless you work with a registered assistant.

If you insure through NCMA you have legal cover through them as part of the deal.
If you ever need to use this service they will ONLY help you if you have a filled in and SIGNED register. They will ask for copies of this in respect of the mindee to whom the dispute relates. They they may also need copies of your contract and will not do anything unless you use an NCMA.one.

I highly recommend that you buy thier Contracts,Accounts book,and Register and get into the habit of getting your parents to sign it each week mine have never minded and its a good habit to get into. Ofsed expect to see this as well. the Medication,Accident and Incident folder is also excellent.

I use the purple case to keep all my current parent info in cause I can keep it handy and locked.

I should go for the package prob not Emploee Ins and then you are set up and now you have the right basic paperwork -too much to do inventing your own stuff. Remeber to set off the cost in your account book.

Good luck.:laughing:

FizzysFriends
11-01-2009, 05:57 PM
I paid £137.55 for membership, insurance, tool box. I didn't get the fire blanket as I got one off ebay for £7.

They do a starter package that you can buy through some councils and its cheaper then, only a few £ though. And my DO warned me it will add a couple of weeks to the order and I was in a rush as had someone waiting.

LeanneC
13-01-2009, 04:13 PM
Hiya

I'm skint at the min so waiting to buy ncma membership BUT I did buy a fire blanket for my pre reg inspection and the lady was impressed with the one i had ( I bought it from eBay for £7 too) Im going to buy the membership and the insurance but the tool kit im going to buy the contract books etc all separately as if you add it all up it does save you a few pounds. I have bought a seperate file too that locks and it made of metal and more sturdy than the ncma one they are charging for £11.

I know, can you be bothered to do all that. It's worth it to save a few quid. Squeek squeek im tight as a ducks backside.... hee hee :blush:

donnadoo2004200
13-01-2009, 05:28 PM
I think you get this for free, I did. Just sent off my little card I had for NCMA membership and they sent me insurance cert membership lockable case and fire blanket. I think this is included in your start-up grant. That will save some pennies if you get it for free:jump for joy:

Willowdancer
13-01-2009, 10:31 PM
Thanks for all your replies! I have paid for membership and public liability and will get the other bits as I need them. (Skint here too! :rolleyes:)

Willowdancer
31-01-2009, 04:12 PM
Just out of interest, how long do they take to send things through?

Its almost 3 weeks since I paid for my membership and public liability and have heard nothing from them. Obviously I will be getting in contact to find out what's going on but is it usual for them to be this slow?

Daftbat
31-01-2009, 04:28 PM
Re previous reply about having a signed register for NCMA legal services following may be of interest:

I have a childminder friend who has successfully used the legal services of the NCMA even though the register had not been fully signed by the parent. There may be a problem if the issue was actually regarding number of hours charged for but they were happy to act for my friend - it was a matter of not paying for the notice period. The parent in question usually met the minder away from her house to bring and collect the child and so signing it was difficult. She could in theory have taken the register with her to meet the parent but NCMA didn't even ask about it when she used their services.

rickysmiths
31-01-2009, 09:44 PM
Penny the other reason it is really important you have a register and it is very good practice to get it signed is that it is a record of when the child is with you and by signing it the parent is confirming it.
It is a Child Protection as well as payment issue. If ever there was a querry or incident it means you are covered.
My very first mindee was dropped off to me at my daughters playgroup, all those 14yrs ago and I took the book with me when it needed signing.

ajs
31-01-2009, 10:58 PM
i just renewed mine online and it's cost more then i think it should but i completely forgot about it and my insurance is up next week so i couldn't risk it not being done today
i will call them on monday though to check the price is right

carebear25
03-03-2009, 08:13 PM
just bought mine online, £155 for membership an toolkit (so glad i can claim it back with start up grant) :clapping:

Doll123
18-03-2009, 09:52 AM
RE: How long does it take to come through.

I have this problem too, i paid online with a credit card and when i contacted NCMA (which were quick to reply through email) they said they had no recollection of my order, i then re-ordered using a debit card, have got my order confirmation through email but still have nothing in writing!

Wish i had found this place before hand as have gone ahead and ordered everything, not realising i can get fire blanket on ebay for £7 and not needed the Employers Ins. anywho have claimed it back on my start-up grant so hopefully that will be granted.

Katie xx

Jen4Kids
23-03-2009, 11:40 AM
After reading this post, i joined NCMA online friday teatime :thumbsup:

I decided to buy everything seperately, so got:
Insurance and Public Liability - £83.50
then got the paperwork seperately too
Reciept Book -£4.80
Acc/Inc/Medicine - £10.99
Attendence - £8.15
Accounts - £8.35
Contracts - £7.85