PDA

View Full Version : alphabet

DCMS
10-01-2009, 11:31 PM
How do you teach the alphabet? abc or ABC (iyswim) Watching Super Why they say ABC but I always say abc. How do they do it in schools these days?

Shirlwith3
11-01-2009, 07:05 AM
Hi
at school they use phonic's to teach the alphabet, it is all to do with the sounds of the letters not how we were taught as kids. ig that helps. They even teach them at some preschools my 4yr old daughter knows all her sounds.

Shirl

sarah707
11-01-2009, 08:33 AM
You can get a free copy of 'Letters and Sounds' from here -

http://www.standards.dfes.gov.uk/phonics/

This is what is used in schools.

It teaches children phonetically, by starting with letter games and focussing on initial sounds first.

It is also full of ideas for games and fun things to do.

It's abc by the way! :D

Schnakes
11-01-2009, 09:23 PM
We have all been told to use phonetics here.

Sx

Alibali
12-01-2009, 01:45 PM
I always start with lower case, I think that's what our schools do too. I suppose it depends what the school they will be going to do.

Spangles
12-01-2009, 02:02 PM
My son's pre-school gets extremely narky when parents teach their children caps! Oh, and when they teach them to write incorrectly like for an 'a' do a circle and then put a line through!

misst104
12-01-2009, 02:20 PM
I am just registering to be a childminder as its not worth my while going back to work. I am a nursery nurse and pay crap ( but I digress....) Before I had my children I worked in a school and was in charge of 3-5 year olds pre-reading. We taught phonetically and I believe that lots of primary schools use this system now too. I can confirm that it is VERY ANNOYING when children come to school having been taught letter sounds in a different way. This is because it is really hard to Unteach it once they have it in their minds. I'm also a firm believer in not teaching children to write their name in capitals (happens alot, believe me!) as again its SO HARD to then teach it the correct way. Jolly Phonics is the system we taught and I think thats used in lots of primary schools. Its fun to teach and the children picked up the letter sounds really easily and began to blend sounds very quickly too. If you google Jolly Phonics there is loads of info and advice. x x x

P.S my son loves Super Why......I don't!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!