PDA

View Full Version : Schema???

DCMS
10-01-2009, 11:27 PM
Is there a schema for LO who asks to watch a dvd, wants to watch it again when it finishes (even it lasts 90mins or so) and asks to watch it every day? (aged 2 years 9 months)

sarah707
11-01-2009, 08:26 AM
Not sure if there is an obsession schema :laughing:

Lots of children go through this... they do the same with books, asking for the same one over and over.

I think it's more a security thing sometimes.

Here's some good schemas info -

http://www.visionwebsites.co.uk/Contents/Text/Index.asp?SiteId=468&SiteExtra=17910327&TopNavId=642&NavSideId=8919

crazybones
11-01-2009, 08:33 AM
Hmmmmmm it's not Wall-E is it. :laughing: My son wants this on constantly all the time. Maybe you could do some activities involving the character on the DVD.

Sarah could be right about the security thing. I had a lo once who came on the first day with Monsters Inc DVD - he was about 18 months at the time and Mum said to put it on if he got upset. I did a couple of times in his first 2 weeks but after that he was fine and didnt bring it anymore.

Tatia
11-01-2009, 08:40 AM
Young children cannot take in everything they see in a single watching. They take in somehting new every time they watch the same programme so it is not like it is for us, watching Finding Nemo for the upteenth time and feeling bored. To an early years child, it's like watching a new programme every time they see it because new things will present themselves. It must be very comforting for the child to have the familiar they've already seen and assimilated into their knowledge whilst at the same time gaining new knowledge.

Its why channels like CeeBeebies repeat everything in blocks. Blues Clues does it, too, shows the same programme every day for a week to allow pre-schoolers the opportunity to gleen as much infor as they can before moving on.

Young children are amazing learning machines, aren't they?!

Schnakes
11-01-2009, 09:14 PM
With my daughter it was "cat" (Aristocats) or "dogs" (Lady and the Tramp). I miss having those movies on all the time in a way..I loved them too,and singing along to all the songs!! :) Also, it kinda felt like when she didnt want to watch them anymore..she had grown up. Very bittersweet. But then, I get all teary looking at my kids baby photos and they are only 3 and 9!!

Sorry - nothing of interest to add, but will be watching the other replies closely as this is something I am also interested in.

Sx

Ripeberry
11-01-2009, 09:19 PM
My DD1 was totally obsessed with Lion King for almost 3yrs! Would play lions and act like a lion. Now she is into horses but is not so obsessive about it.
Must be because she is getting older (will be 7yrs old this year). My DD2 likes to put everything away neatly which is great when it comes to tidying the toys away and she likes to make rows out of toy cars, she has just turned 4yrs old.

singlewiththree
12-01-2009, 10:30 AM
Is there a schema for LO who asks to watch a dvd, wants to watch it again when it finishes (even it lasts 90mins or so) and asks to watch it every day? (aged 2 years 9 months)

My daughter is 2yrs 5mths and she only wants to watch Mr Tumble all the time, doesnt want to play, go outside nothing! Its hard work saying no especially when her sisters go out to nursery and school and we are in the house alone its just too tempting to give in like I am at the moment while on here for some peace. However she is throwing a balloon up and down as well as watching it and she is getting a dab hand at signing LOL

DCMS
12-01-2009, 10:59 AM
Should have added the dvd at the minute is Clash of the Titans!! He loves it, knows the story and can name all the greek gods etc. so suppose it is educational too even if its on 3 hours a day!