PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have a Zafira?

vix84
10-01-2009, 03:28 PM
Hi, Im just getting a Zafira, and noticed the middle seat has a lap belt. I have a Britax car seat from 9 months ish that can be used with a lab belt. But Im wondering if I put that in the middle, will I fit 2 other high back booster seat type seats either sied? The width doesnt seem any bigger than an average car.

When I get it I will go to mothercare to try out a range of car seats but Im hoping I can get 3 in the middle and then use the boot for the prams instead of seats.

PS - how often do you all buy new car seats? My britax is probably about 4 years old now

cuddlybunny38
10-01-2009, 03:48 PM
Hi I have 3 seats in the back of mine, I have a booster cusion on the lap belt though as my other seats they say have to go on 3 point belts. I have a 9mth to 4year seat , then the booster, then a booster but with a back( this seat alos has its own harness on itto strap child in with). Only problem I ahve found is if you want to use both of the seats in the boot I have to unstrap one of the baby seats take it out to move the middle row of seats forward, the only way round this was to put the babys seats in the boot seats so they dont have to keep being unstraped( I dont like the babbies in the boot part though) I dont always ues my boot seats though as dont always have the kids all together.

ajs
10-01-2009, 03:52 PM
we did look at the zafira's but ended up with a grande scenic for the reason you said
we had a lap belt in our espace and was never entirely happy using car seats i it
the scenic does have 3 point seat belts now my 7 yr old sits there and i;m much happier

rickysmiths
10-01-2009, 04:34 PM
Sorry I have a Skoda Octavia which I love. on my third one. It has three full seat belts in the back and I can isolate the front air bag so I can get 4 full car seats in.

vix84
10-01-2009, 05:03 PM
Hi I have 3 seats in the back of mine, I have a booster cusion on the lap belt though as my other seats they say have to go on 3 point belts. I have a 9mth to 4year seat , then the booster, then a booster but with a back( this seat alos has its own harness on itto strap child in with). Only problem I ahve found is if you want to use both of the seats in the boot I have to unstrap one of the baby seats take it out to move the middle row of seats forward, the only way round this was to put the babys seats in the boot seats so they dont have to keep being unstraped( I dont like the babbies in the boot part though) I dont always ues my boot seats though as dont always have the kids all together.

Hiya, thanks for your reply - and the other replies too:) , Im not comfortable with putting a booster in the middle with just a lap belt, but I could put the Britax one in the middle with the lab belt (it has a 3 point harness and is able to use a lab belt) and then hopefully fit 2 other toddler seats either side. That then means if I have school agers I can put them in the back on boosters - they would have to enter through the boot :) as my oh says there is a gap between the 2 seats. Then I could put the buggy in the front with me.

Does anyone also know if they have Isofix points? It was advertised as having them, but when we got there the guy couldnt find them but we didnt know where to look or what to look for!Its a 2002/03 Club model

Jules12Wed
10-01-2009, 05:16 PM
I was under the impression that you are not supposed to use a booster seat with a lap belt has anyone else heard of this?

Polly2
10-01-2009, 05:16 PM
I have a zafira and it has 3, 3point belts in the back. I also fit 3 high back car seats in although it is a squash.

cuddlybunny38
10-01-2009, 05:17 PM
Just to say the agp between the two seats is very small and it is very awkard if you neeed to help them with the seat belts this way. you have to stand in the boot and lean right over.

breezy
10-01-2009, 05:19 PM
I have a zafira and it has 3, 3point belts in the back. I also fit 3 high back car seats in although it is a squash.

same here, i think the newer models do have the 3 full belts where as the older models have only a lap belt

vix84
10-01-2009, 05:24 PM
same here, i think the newer models do have the 3 full belts where as the older models have only a lap belt

The one Im looking at is a 2202 almost 2003 model, couldnt afford anything newer.

My ratio is 5 children, so if I use the seats with the 3 point harness it will be fine, and I expect I will only have 3 at a time anyway, just tring different scenarios so I know in advance what I can and cant do with the car seats:)

cuddlybunny38
10-01-2009, 05:29 PM
Yes mines a 2002, couldnt afford a newer one. Only on occasions have I used all seats. My kids are all p/t so dont normally have alll together.

crazybones
10-01-2009, 05:40 PM
We have a lapbelt in the middle of our Zafira and I dont use it at all except when its my 11 year old son and even then only out of necessity. Bit of a pain really but it does scare me.

vix84
10-01-2009, 05:48 PM
We have a lapbelt in the middle of our Zafira and I dont use it at all except when its my 11 year old son and even then only out of necessity. Bit of a pain really but it does scare me.

Thats why it will be great if I can put my Britax one in the middle using the lab belt - its the 2nd stage car seat I think - 9mths to 4years with a harness.
Im getting the car Thursday so will probably spend all weekend trying to squeeze in car seats! I like to get them fitted at Mothercare or Halfords, so will then go and annoy them and ask them to fit them all!

This year has been so expensive so far, new fridge freezer, dishwasher, car and now I will need to get an extra car seat too at some point I expect!

mabel
10-01-2009, 07:41 PM
I had a zafira and really loved it especialy the extra seats in the boot.
mine had 3 proper seat belts on the back seat. They are very nippy cars.

Had to sell mine as we bought a caravan and it was not suitable for towing
only have 5 seats now, so limited to where I can go especially during the
summer holidays

have fun and happy motoring

mandy moo
10-01-2009, 08:12 PM
I've got a Land Rover Discovery, which has 7 seats , all with a 'proper' seat belts, ie over the shoulder.
I still can't say wether I'm happy using the middle one tho.. will have to tho after next week, as with my own 2 boys, Ill have 6 children all together, or either do a lot of walking:( yuk..
Hubbie says its its safe enough tho, (he's a car mechanic & and a bl**dy good one, had to say that hes sitting next to me!!)

vix84
10-01-2009, 08:41 PM
I've got a Land Rover Discovery, which has 7 seats , all with a 'proper' seat belts, ie over the shoulder.
I still can't say wether I'm happy using the middle one tho.. will have to tho after next week, as with my own 2 boys, Ill have 6 children all together, or either do a lot of walking:( yuk..
Hubbie says its its safe enough tho, (he's a car mechanic & and a bl**dy good one, had to say that hes sitting next to me!!)

When I spoke to a seat fitter at Mothercare, she said the middle seat is the safest place to sit as it is in the middle so the furthest away from impact if you crash

tinkerbelle
11-01-2009, 07:22 PM
i would never consider buying a car with a lap belt and not the 3 point harness ones as i feel they are a serious compromise to childrens safety
when my children used a childminder this was one of the questions we asked before placing our children, if we had been shown a car with a lap belt they would not have gone there
sorry but in my opinion i value my childs and minded childrens safety too much to risk them becoming paralised due to being the unlucky child in the lap belt (i have witnessed this happen)
before you purchase the car ask the mums who you mind for if they are happy for their child to use the lap belt or would your own child be using it me personally my child would not be getting in the car at all

FizzysFriends
11-01-2009, 07:27 PM
When I spoke to a seat fitter at Mothercare, she said the middle seat is the safest place to sit as it is in the middle so the furthest away from impact if you crash

My HV told me to only put DD in the middle seat of my car due to the curtain air bags. You are right though, middle is the safest seat as long as it isn't a lap belt.

deb24
11-01-2009, 07:58 PM
I have to say I hate putting the back seat area up all the time. I have to have a high back car seat in the back part boot area, then baby britax front facing in the back & baby car seat on the other side rear facing tough to get anything to fit in the middle a booster seat is difficult.
If I had the money I would go for a Kia 7 seater much more room or a galaxy.

vix84
11-01-2009, 08:00 PM
i would never consider buying a car with a lap belt and not the 3 point harness ones as i feel they are a serious compromise to childrens safety
when my children used a childminder this was one of the questions we asked before placing our children, if we had been shown a car with a lap belt they would not have gone there
sorry but in my opinion i value my childs and minded childrens safety too much to risk them becoming paralised due to being the unlucky child in the lap belt (i have witnessed this happen)
before you purchase the car ask the mums who you mind for if they are happy for their child to use the lap belt or would your own child be using it me personally my child would not be getting in the car at all

Completely agree, I wouldnt be happy for Max to go in the middle seat with a lap belt, so I wouldnt put anyone else's child in it either.
My Britax car seat can be used with a lap belt (its the second stage 9mths to 4 yrs) which has the 3 point harness in it, but Im not sure about the safety - if it is as safe using a lap belt to secure the car seat in as it would be to use a 3 point seat belt to secure the car seat in.

I think once I get the car I will go up to Mothercare and ask them about it and wether it is as safe to position the Britax car seat in the maddle - if not I will just use the other seats.

You can also get 3 point seat belts fitted for around £100 I think - but not sure if it is possible in the Zafira as the whole row of seats move forward and back. Will research into it:)

don the duck
11-01-2009, 08:22 PM
we have a mondoe and that also has 3 adult seatbels and ca fit 3 car seats in.

i to wouldnt be happy putting my child on a lap seat belt either

jeanybeany
11-01-2009, 09:36 PM
Hi, I have an 02 Zafira and I put a britax 9mth-4 yr car seat in the middle on a lap belt, which I checked you could do first. It fits brilliant and is very secure. I then have high back booster seats either side. Fit well, just have to feel for the clip to fasten seat belt! I use the graco high back seats about £30 each. Hope this helps:)

crazybones
11-01-2009, 09:41 PM
Click on the bit on here that says about lapbelts

http://www.childcarseats.org.uk/faqs/index.htm#3kids

vix84
11-01-2009, 09:52 PM
Hi, I have an 02 Zafira and I put a britax 9mth-4 yr car seat in the middle on a lap belt, which I checked you could do first. It fits brilliant and is very secure. I then have high back booster seats either side. Fit well, just have to feel for the clip to fasten seat belt! I use the graco high back seats about £30 each. Hope this helps:)

brilliant, thanks for the info.:)

any chance you can find a link for your graco seats please:blush: :)

FizzysFriends
11-01-2009, 10:01 PM
brilliant, thanks for the info.:)

any chance you can find a link for your graco seats please:blush: :)

They have them in ASDA for £34, if you aren't desperate wait until they bring out the new colours as they sell the old ones off I bought one for just over £20 as it was last seasons colours and I don't really care what colour it is aslong as its dark so hides the dirt :laughing: