PDA

View Full Version : Daily/Weekly/Termly planning

singlewiththree
10-01-2009, 02:57 PM
Would termly planning be classed as short term planning or do I have to do it weekly or daily?

sarah707
10-01-2009, 03:03 PM
Short term planning is today or at a push this week. Children's interests and needs change so fast.

You do long term - the general themes / activities / group stuff you are planning for the term or the year...

Then you look at today and plan to chidlren's interests plus slot in your long term stuff making sure it meets the needs of each child.

So if you are looking at Diwali, you might have A (age 3) who will love to make and paint a Diva lamp but J (age 4) hates getting her hands wet / painting, so might prefer to experiment with light and dark in the tent with a torch...

Hth :D

singlewiththree
10-01-2009, 03:13 PM
So the termly thing I have been doing in seasons is long term and then if I just start to put together a folder in topics that has resources I can use in it and then do a weekly plan of what we will do loosely.

There is no way every night I can sit down and plan from scratch what we are going to do the next day however if I have a weekly plan then I can just tweek it for the next day.

Thanks Sarah again :) I've set aside today to do my planning as my daughters are with their dad and its proving more difficult than I first predicted. I ran out of snacking chocolate and have told myself I am working on this until 4pm and then going to my BF for a break.

sarah707
10-01-2009, 03:46 PM
So the termly thing I have been doing in seasons is long term

Yes

and then if I just start to put together a folder in topics that has resources I can use in it

Yes, that's what I do and it works really well! Topics/themes / planned activiites... whatever you want to call them. I store them monthly and pull out a month at a time.

and then do a weekly plan of what we will do loosely.

Yes.

There is no way every night I can sit down and plan from scratch what we are going to do the next day however if I have a weekly plan then I can just tweek it for the next day.

Nobody's expecting you to, but if you spot on Weds that Joe is really enjoying the trucks, you would maybe put them in the sand tray on Thursday so he can see the patterns the tyres make wouldn't you??

That's more what it's about than reams of paperwork. Just always be aware of what they are interested in and follow that up next time they come.

Also know the child and talk to the parents, so if they say they are going to the zoo you can leap in there with some nice activities before or after the zoo visit.

Thanks Sarah again :) I've set aside today to do my planning as my daughters are with their dad and its proving more difficult than I first predicted. I ran out of snacking chocolate and have told myself I am working on this until 4pm and then going to my BF for a break.

Does that make sense? :D

singlewiththree
10-01-2009, 06:03 PM
Thats fantastic! thank you. :)