PDA

View Full Version : How detailed does the planning have to be.

singlewiththree
10-01-2009, 02:24 PM
I've just started to think about planning.

On my long term plan sheet I have separated it into seasons starting with Sept each year. Then just put general "themes" then underneath separated it into months and put special dates and topics for that particular month. I've included it below for Autumn. Is this enough. I am then going to do weekly planning which will go into more detail of what we will do that week and obviously change with the childs needs and abilities. :)

For example
AUTUMN
Sept/Oct/Nov
General -
Scarecrows
Changing leaves
Acorns/Concors
Squirrels

September:
3rd - back to school
Harvest Festival (Christian)
20th - Rosh Hashana (Judaism) - New year (creation of the world)

October:
3rd - Moon Festival (Chinese)
17th - Diwalli - Festival of Light (Hindusim and Sikhism)
31st - Halloween

November:
5th Bonfire Night
11th Remembrance Day
St Andrews Day

and continued for Oct/Nov. Is this enough.

sarah707
10-01-2009, 02:54 PM
That looks really good and shows a good mix of activities.

I would be tempted (being picky here) to show that you are aware of the different countries / religions etc you are celebrating and a few notes about what you are thinking of doing.

Theoretically we are supposed to share our planning with parents and get their input, so it's always wise to be able to show them how we are not brainwashing their little darlings into wanting to change religion, but marking special calendar occasions instead.

So for October I would put...

October:

3rd - Moon Festival (Chinese) - we will make moon cakes and dance to Chinese moon music. We will also read some Chinese Moon stories - you can look some up here - http://www.chinesefortunecalendar.com/midfallstory.htm.

17th - Diwali (Hindu & Sikh) - one of the many Festivals of Light celebrated through the world (like Bonfire Night). We will look at light and dark, play in the tent with torches to make shadows and try some special Diwali food (veggie curry) for our tea.

31st - Halloween (Pagan) - we will explore bats and spiders and make some very unhealthy Parkin for snack (children have requested!!) Please remember to clean teeth extra well! Please let me know if you are not happy for your child to mark any specific activities at Halloween.

I have found, over the years, that this is a really good way of...

1. Reassuring parents;

2. Helping me to think about what I am doing so I have a mix of activities;

3. Showing Ofsted that I'm not just playing lip service to a list of things to do but I have actually researched them as well and planned appropriate activities for the children.

Hth :D

singlewiththree
10-01-2009, 02:58 PM
Thanks Sarah they are brilliant suggestions. :)