PDA

View Full Version : Common assessment framework

Bananabrain
10-01-2009, 12:04 PM
Hi everyone.Has anyone out there done this? I understand that it is one of the recomended ones is that right? I haven't been childminding that long and have had a couple of issues relating to 'tricky' children:) My biggest prob is that whilst I am 'only a childminder' I consider myself to be quite bright and it is usually glaringly obvious to me when a child needs xtra help.Been very loathe to say what I really think to parents in case they take offence.One child I minded[note the past tense] am pretty sure he is on autistic spectrum but found it diff to talk to parents.Have been quite shocked at schools attitude and lack of action .What do you guys do when you think there is a problem? Do you confront parents and what sort of response have you had? I really want to persevere with tricky children,but very much feel unsupported by school,parents.And dont get me started on social services:angry: When I see these stories on the news it makes my blood boil.Could anyone that has done this caf tell me what it involves and whether it may help me. Be really appreciative.Thanks for reading guys.

sarah707
10-01-2009, 12:25 PM
It is everyone's duty to flag up children we think might have issues... or that's what the govt sitting in their ivory towers say anyway.

Unfortunately, like you say, these things just don't get followed through, there's lack of funding, children suffer, parents struggle... it's a never ending cycle of upset and loss of childhood for some.

The CAF is supposed to help support children who are already in the system by bringing together all the agencies that work with the child, to work with one lot of paperwork. It puts the child and family at the centre of everything it does. I understand that it does work when it is used properly but there's still lack of funding / lack of knowledge / parents not wanting to have their child labelled / chidlren slipping through the net etc to deal with.

You might at some point be asked to work with a child who is within the CAF system... and the Eyfs (somewhat idealistically if you ask me but nobody did) suggests that your opinions would be asked and input into the CAF itself. We'll see.

Hth :D

Pauline
11-01-2009, 10:11 AM
I did the on-line one, see review here:

http://childmindinghelp.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=17900

It really depends on whether you want to spend the money or whether you can get on a free course local to you.

I don't think you can ever have enough training in different subjects as it all leads to a more professional appearance but at the end of the day it depends on the individual and what you want to put into your business. :)

Gherkin
11-01-2009, 10:22 AM
I am waiting to get on a CAF course run by our early years team. They are notoriously difficult to get on for a childminder though as they get booked very quickly.

Personally I think CAF has the potential to be great but the parents/guardians have t agree to it being done, and they can agree and then change their minds which can leave your hands tied in some situations.

jeanybeany
11-01-2009, 09:48 PM
My EY Team have just offered this online for free and I am slowly working my way through it. I have to say it's very good and I would recommend it!:)

Andrea08
14-01-2009, 06:01 PM
Has Changed,,

im just about to go to evening training for a few hrs all about ;;;

Integrated working and common assessment framework CAF

there are changes to the eferral procedures for safeguarding chidren...the poster also say policies will need updating???

if im still awake when i get back ill post anything interesting xx

Luciawak
25-01-2009, 09:32 AM
I am able to access the CAF for free online. I completed it just before Xmas and I have to say it does get you thinking and is well worth doing. There is a quiz at the end of the course and based on your answers you are issued with a certificate. There are about 20 questions and you are allowed 3 attempts at each before it tells you the answer.

Love
lucia
x

Cammie Doodle
25-01-2009, 11:06 AM
Here is Worcs the introduction/courses have been running for a while. When we went on ours there were Nursery workers, teachers ,Childminders and Community Beat Officers on it . I think there is more in depth courses being run here too , but have not been told if we need any more in depth training yet or not. But if it helps the child I will be happy to go on more courses