PDA

View Full Version : Course Cancelled !!! AAggghhhh

loobyloo168
10-01-2009, 11:46 AM
Im due my first inspection within the next month or so (been registered since Aug 08) and in our pre reg briefings we were told it was compulsory to do food hygiene and behaviour management wihin 6 months of registration.

I was booked onto one in feb and march and now iv had a letter saying its been cancelled ! the thing is this is the extra one they put on because all the others were filled up and there were still so many left to do theres.

I think im just going to do the one that pauline did in here at least i dont have to leave home. All i need now is the behaviour management one.

As theres only me and my DH i find it really hard to attend there courses as DH works awful shifts with the AA and can never get time off short notice, he had to book his leave for 2009/2010 last year or they allocate it for them !! And even if the courses are really local and i can get there by bus we have no one to look after DD as DH from London and my family never see us anyway.

I just hope somehow i can get them squeezed in before OFSTED come round.

sarah707
10-01-2009, 12:30 PM
No they are not compulsory. They are good practice.

The Eyfs says that the only compulsory courses for childminders are first aid and ICP.

Your ICP should have contained bits about behaviour management... buy or go to the library and borrow a book to top up the rest of your knowledge ...

Food hygiene is nothing to do with Ofsted except that you must be registered with your local environmental health dept. Whether you do a food hygiene course or not is your own business. It's useful to have 'safer food better business' pack lying around and show you have thought about food safety in your risk assessments.

You can order a pack here -

http://www.food.gov.uk/foodindustry/regulation/hygleg/hyglegresources/sfbb/

Hth :D

Mollymop
10-01-2009, 12:35 PM
I did the "Pauline" food hygiene course before I registered and it was great. SO good idea, but like Sarah says it is not compulsary but it will help you get on better at your graded inspection.
As for the behaviour management course, you have letters to say that it has been cancelled, etc? Keep it for ofsted to see. Ofsted will like to see that you are booking yourself on courses that will help you and your setting. DOn't worry too much. I haven't been on a behaviour management course, but I still got a "good " grade on my inspection in November.
It is not something that you "have" to do. xx

loobyloo168
10-01-2009, 03:37 PM
Its good to know its not compulsary, but it does make me wonder why my local council are saying it is.

Iv double checked the paperwork and it does definatly say there are compulosry. Ill do the online food hygiene next month and get a book about behaviour management.

Annie_T
11-01-2009, 12:47 AM
thats not good hun