PDA

View Full Version : How much would you spend?

Schnakes
09-01-2009, 10:17 PM
I am desperate for a tall storage unit for my toys, so I have everything to hand and it all fits in one place. Ive been on lods of websites etc, cant find what Im looking for to fit the space Ive got...then I find a lovely cupboard, perfect size, exactly what I want (that is - no garish colours, good shelf space for tubs etc)...but its £640, which is one hell of a lot!!

Would you spend that much?

Sx

Chatterbox Childcare
09-01-2009, 10:19 PM
Gosh that is a lot. Have u tried Ikea? Also if you have a picture of what you want, what about getting a carpenter to make it? They are supposed to be short of work so it may be more reasonably priced

angeldelight
09-01-2009, 10:22 PM
Dont think I would spend that much

Do you have a pic of what you like then maybe we can see if any of us have seen anything similar but cheaper

Angel xx

miss mopple
09-01-2009, 10:23 PM
If I could afford it and I liked it then yes I would :D

Schnakes
09-01-2009, 10:32 PM
http://www.toytidy.com/hand-painted-train-toy-cupboard-p-205.html

Miss Mopple - if I could afford it i wouldnt be asking, Id be bunging in my card details!! :p

What I was really looking for is something like this: http://www.tts-group.co.uk/Product.aspx?cref=TTSPR835240&rid=326&cid=27

But bigger!!! Then as I was hunting around I found that toytidy one and thought...hmmm....I could put £200 aside a month...but then I wouldnt be able to afford new toys to put in the cupboard...but it is rather lovely!!

Good idea about asking if you have any ideas. I havent been on here for so long, I forgot what a helpful bunch you all are! :littleangel: :thumbsup:

So...for your starter - it cant be wide than 96cm! Nightmare!

Sx

angeldelight
09-01-2009, 10:38 PM
They both look nice

First one seems mega expensive though although I can see why
It really does look like a white wardrobe ( sorry )
I would feel like buying a white wardrobe and decorating / painting it myself for half the price of this one to be honest and make it look like a toy cupboard

Angel xx

rickysmiths
09-01-2009, 10:47 PM
I bought a very good shed 4x6 for the garden last year ,plus some 'Really Useful ' Storeage boxes for half that amount. Keeps my rooms less cluttered and we rotate the toys. Just a thought if you have room outside.

Rubybubbles
09-01-2009, 10:53 PM
:eek: :eek:

I got all mine from ikea mega cheap but good strong stuff:laughing:

mabel
09-01-2009, 10:54 PM
it does sound a lot I bought some great storage from Ikea lots of trays
that pull out, although ideal for mindies it does not look like a nice piece
of furniture in my house

and I understand where you are coming from when sometimes you want
storage to look nice after all it is in your home

Rubybubbles
09-01-2009, 10:55 PM
put on photos to show you!

you can get doors for these too

Schnakes
09-01-2009, 10:56 PM
Angel - I would love to have that artistic talent!! I do quite well at organising arts and crafts for toddlers but this is way out of my league!!
I know what you mean about the wardrobe look thoguh. I have actually looked at wardrobes but thought they woud look too bedroom-y!!

I have a shed but its filled with garden stuff and about 20 bikes/trikes/scooters plus all my outdoor toys...At the moment I store all the toys in the loft and have a four weekly rotation. I already have a lovely storage unit but what I really want is to have everything downstairs where I can reach it. Thats why I want something tall. The only thing is, all the BIG and TALL units are "easy access" which means everything is on show - exactly what I dont want, since I actually have to live here! Heh!! This http://www.sbs-educational.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10151&storeId=55&productId=269283&langId=-1&search=true is perfect, but so incredibly ugly! Also - Im getting some bad vibes about SBS from this forum - although I havent been round to find out why!

Sx

Noodles
09-01-2009, 11:22 PM
put on photos to show you!

you can get doors for these too

I have the same stuff as Rubybubles but in white and its fab best storaage stuff i have ever had and it comes in a variety of sizes:) :)

Blaze
10-01-2009, 06:39 AM
They both look nice

First one seems mega expensive though although I can see why
It really does look like a white wardrobe ( sorry )
I would feel like buying a white wardrobe and decorating / painting it myself for half the price of this one to be honest and make it look like a toy cupboard

Angel xx

I agree...I'd do the same!:thumbsup:

LittleMissSparkles
10-01-2009, 10:22 AM
I have the same stuff as Rubybubles but in white and its fab best storaage stuff i have ever had and it comes in a variety of sizes:) :)

me too I have the 8 section unit and have the rattan boxes to go in it , look s really nice and tidy in my kitchen when the kids have gone home :)

Schnakes
10-01-2009, 10:32 AM
But if its from Ikea it means you have to build it yourself......Nnnnooooooo!!!!! :blush: :laughing: :D

I just dont DO flat pack, darling!! (Mostly because Im pretty useless at it!!)

Sx

crazybones
10-01-2009, 10:34 AM
But if its from Ikea it means you have to build it yourself......Nnnnooooooo!!!!! :blush: :laughing: :D

Sx

I was going to say I am off to Ikea today and will have a nose for you but maybe not then :laughing:

Schnakes
10-01-2009, 10:41 AM
Aw - thats really kind, thank you. xx

aly
10-01-2009, 10:54 AM
I got that unit from ikea.

this one is in the boys room
http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/60071358

and i got the smaller version downstairs for toys.
http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/50103086

and like was said previously you can either have doors on, or what i got are these
http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/00129970

wasnt too hard to put together either really

good luck
:thumbsup:

FizzysFriends
10-01-2009, 11:25 AM
Have a look in Ikeas office bit, they have some units like the second link you posted and then they have different bits that you can put on the top to make it bigger.

jaz
10-01-2009, 11:28 AM
I also have those shelves from ikea, althouth mine dont look as neat as yours!!!

J
x

loobyloo168
10-01-2009, 11:36 AM
Theres a website (im not gonna mention it, in case i get in trouble) that if you need household work done basically you put a description of what you want doing and how much you roughly want to pay and the local tradesmen bid to get the job with offering the lowest price, you can choose to supply the materials yourself, or have them supply it, and you set a time for the "auction" to end, and then when it does you allocate the job to that tradesman. The way trade is at the moment you could get a good bargain. PM and ill give you the website name.

Alibali
10-01-2009, 02:37 PM
I have those ikea ones too, gosh how similar we all are:)

sue
10-01-2009, 03:49 PM
http://www.toytidy.com/bmz_cache/3/35b1754fe965b003ccc448b27c6144c8.image.114x150.jpg (http://www.toytidy.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=4&products_id=72)
Cubby play store x 8 - with trays (http://www.toytidy.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=4&products_id=72)
brought this in December and it works got my living room back in the evening

Jules12Wed
10-01-2009, 03:59 PM

Sx

I'm pretty useless too but I have bought tables, stools, cupboards and Ikea stuff is the best and easiest stuff to put together. No words in their instructions just pictures but mega easy. Most things I have done myself some of the bigger things like chest of drawers and a wardrobe | needed help because it was so huge to move.

ajs
10-01-2009, 04:30 PM
schnakes you seem pretty keen so i'd go for it to be honest
if you don't like the ikea stuff and the sbs is too ugly then just save up it will take 3 months or so but then after that you could put your money to buying new toys to keep in the unit

LittleMissSparkles
10-01-2009, 04:35 PM
:D I LOVE IKEA and it is so easy to put together even I can do it .... :D

Nix
10-01-2009, 04:41 PM
Me too! I have the Expedit units from Ikea. The large 5 space by 5 space filled with clear plastic storage boxes for the toys and a tall 5 space by 1 space one which sits longways on the floor like a table. You can purchase drawers and doors so you could hide any bits you wanted hidden. I love it, it works well and people always comment on it...however I do have it in a playroom so I don't have to look at toys all the time!!

I'm with Angel on the other option. Get a double pine wardrobe, perhaps off ebay and just paint it white, put shelves inside and then you can hide the toys inside...I have a pine wardrobe in the garage to store the "extra" bits.

Have fun...
Nix,x

Chimps Childminding
10-01-2009, 06:44 PM
June has been looking at the Ikea units - I have got the ones from Argos that you put the boxes in.

try freecycle see if you can pick up a pine wardrobe , paint it and if you aren't very artistic (like me!) why not get some of those "stickarounds" and put on it even if you have to glue them on)

miffy
10-01-2009, 06:52 PM
Wow that seems a lot of money for a unit to store toys in - it is lovely though but I wouldn't spend that much on it.

Did you decide what to do Schnakes?

Miffy xx

Schnakes
11-01-2009, 09:01 PM
Hiya...still hmming and hawing.

On the one hand, if I choose to get a cheaper one then I can just buy it straight up next month. On the other hand....I do totally lurve the choo choo train one.

Oh. My. God. I just said choo choo train!! Ive been doing this job too long - its finally sent me round the bend! :jump for joy:

I spent the whole day today going through the toys in my loft and have got three huge black sacks full to take to the charity shop. Maybe I wont need such a big unit after all. Its so pretty though!

Can I just ask...why dont people on here like SBS? Ive seen loads of really nice stuff in their catalogue but you've made me woried now!

Also...okay. I have something to admit to you all......Ive never even BEEN to an IKEA!!! Oh the shame!! :blush: :o :p I saw some really nice kiddy stuff in their last catalgue though. Maybe I should brave it before resorting to a £600 cupboard! :idea:

Sx

jessie1
12-01-2009, 12:37 AM
Hi Scnakes

If you really want the cupboard look to lock and for the height, this is not the same but I am sure can be made quite nice as well. Maybe let the mindees do some drawings on there or get some local student that does art or a family member to draw something on and u would still pay much less. Its £155 and can be delivered in 5 days where as ur one is £640 and will take a while to buy and then take 4-8 weeks to be delivered.

http://www.thekidswindow.co.uk/Selling.asp?product=5244

Hope it helps

angeldelight
12-01-2009, 07:38 AM
Let us know what you decide

Just think if you buy something cheaper though you have spare cash then for something else - treat yourself ha

Angel xx

miffy
12-01-2009, 07:46 AM
A lot of us had trouble with SBS when we ordered a play cooker from their sales leaflet - some arrived damaged and weren't replaced but members still had the money taken out of their account.

Basically it was hassle and their customer services were useless! Some members got very good deals though so it's a bit of a lottery.

You should take a look at Ikea you might be pleasantly surprised :)

Miffy xx

PixiePetal
12-01-2009, 07:57 AM
SBS were ok with me although it would have been nice if we were told when something was out of stock after ordering on web.

The goods were all great though and there were some bargains in the sale!

I would order again if there was something I wanted, but with caution.

On a different note, I bought a low pine bookcase for work (only kids books) as it matched my sitting room furniture. Cost £110 but I didn't want odd furniture and decided the expense was worth it. Keep my lockable file on top so it is my 'work' corner.

Jen x

Donkey
12-01-2009, 08:25 PM
if you pay my train fair ill come and put your ikea furniture together for you

:D

kindredspirits
12-01-2009, 09:50 PM
i've got to say i'd personally be buying a nice white wardrobe for £100 and them buy some stencils, stick arounds or choo choo wall paper rather than spending that amount on a cupboard. i am sure there will be a local handyman around who wouldn't charge you an arm and a leg to put it all together and paste a bit of wallpaper on for you - in fact if you're anywhere near peterborough my hubby'll do it for you i'm sure!